PDA

View Full Version : Layout crash -- any feedback before reporting it to newtek

telamon
07-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

I do not want to overwhelm Newtek with 1000000 crash reports, that is the reason for this thread.
I just had a layout crash that I do not even know if it is known by anyone here. With Layout 8.3, I selected a bone and its child and deleted them. Then I clicked "delete all" on the prompt and bang.

Has this ever happened to you ?

T4D
07-17-2005, 03:22 PM
yes it happens and is hard to repeat

I get it when I delete a character I select the Root null ( or main mover ) press delete lw askes if i want to delete decendances
click YES and sometimes i get a crash, sometimes I don't
so i save now before i do it

I have sent the bug to Newtek but seeing it only happens sometimes
it would be a hard one to crush.

Eugeny
07-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Usually Layout crash on this operation then u have some expression attached to one or group of bones ... If u have this, simply remove expressions first and then delete the bones.
Anyway it's workaround and LW shouldn't crash then u delete bones with expressions.

T4D
07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't have expressions or moiton plugins on my rigs
IK and targeting is as far as i go, I fine they slows things down too much when you have multi character scenes

I do add them for custom rigs with special needs but it has to be pretty special or the client wants me to add them ( center hip guide or joint morphs is as far as i like to go )

again CA speed is everything to me.

telamon
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
I had nothing on my rig, I was creating the bones. I just tried to delete my right part to apply mirror hierarchy to the left part.

Anyway, Layout has crashed every 30 seconds today... I have given up...

telamon
07-18-2005, 02:46 PM
I noticed that whether they may be on or off, when I delete bones (one single or several), Layout crashes. It happens it does not crash but, at the moment it crashes in 75 % of the situations.... (gee I am talking like Mr Spock :eek: )

T4D
07-18-2005, 03:09 PM
i have got into the habit of saving before i do it
now i don't forget at all,
it's been burnt into my brain,
i do it even in XSI when i delete stuff now !!
so i learnt the workaround :thumbsup:

telamon
07-19-2005, 01:37 AM
let us remember... type s before - s before - s before - :buttrock:

T4D
07-19-2005, 06:29 AM
well as larry used to say around here :)

You just need to learn the workflow in lightwave
once you know what to do these problem just aren't there :thumbsup:

alvin-cgi
07-25-2005, 06:12 AM
i do get lw crashed occasionally, often a few restart the problems solved, but this times seem restart wont solve the crashing!!:sad: my layout have crashed every time when I use spreadsheet...:sad: this is the 1st time i am using spreadsheet, any solution?

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 06:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.