PDA

View Full Version : Miss N Yun

johnwoo
07-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Hello all...

Been having fun creating this character so far...going in for more detail of an organic look and feel to push the realism aspect as well as for deformation, she is just under 7500 polygons and by time I'm done she will be (hopefully) under 8000 ;)...as for her background she is simply a rebel, but has obviously been injured which is the reason for the replacement limb, and a rubbish excuse to include something mechanical into the design :D...

anyhow....main modelling is pretty much done and I'm in the process of unwrapping her, Updates to come soon...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1010/msyun01wip4wx.jpg

Cheers all...

eMPeck
07-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Sweet, very sexy ;) Although I'm not fan of mechanical joint, it looks like scaffold around a building ;) but it's just me.
I know this sound weird, but could I ask for render without wireframe? ;)

mindrot
07-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Looking good so far. I'm keen on seeing what you decide to do with the texturing...

kaisasose
07-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Off to a very nice start, await updates with anticipation. :)

pimeto
07-17-2005, 03:44 PM
thats realy nice model. ;)
but i want to ask a lame question.
this model is for ? PC ? Xbox ? PS2...or what ? its like 8k polys you want to make.
im not in game industry and just curious, what kind of game supports that ?

...or you make it for fun ? :)

Por@szek
07-17-2005, 10:39 PM
F~ me, man You are tornado or something?? You are so quick You make me mad that I cannot concentrate on stupid bike to model. Model looks good so far and I also like Mister Rot waiting for texturing idea. Gosh man ...no word for speed.

WHW
07-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Oooo! Another JohnWoo model. Go on, she needs a pistol to er.. ward off the oppressors!

Love the boots :P

simps
07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Is there a reason you prefer to work in Tris instead of Quads? Do you manually make all the tris or is there an automatic triangulation modifier of somekind?

LordDubu
07-18-2005, 05:38 PM
She certainly has a lot of junk in the trunk for an Asian gal.

johnwoo
07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Hello all...

Thanks for the replies guys, I was planning to update last night but I had to run a defrag on the computer last night (boo!) so hopefully there'll be an update tonight after work...

@eMPack: Cheers for comment and crit..the mechanical limb is something I wanted to do as something different, ya know pretty much in theory the same as evry other design but just presented differently :)...yep I'll post up a wireframe with the update...

@mindrot: Cheers matey!...:)

@kaisasose: Thanks man!..:)

@pimeto: Cheers man...Nah, this is not a lame question...heh...but no, it's not for any game, yep..it's for the fun of it..plain and simple, but as for what type of game...I would imagine a 3rd person action title :D..(damn that'd be cool)...but 8000 polygons is good for next-gen but I stress it really does depend on the game engine and title your working on...but this is just a fun excercise to create something more organic and to reduce edges within a reasonable polygon count for next-gen...hope this explains my intentions tho'...:)

@Por@szek: LOL...cheers buddy...and concentrate on the bike, sounds cool...and get posting it!...pronto...LOL

@WHW: Cheers man..Oh Yes!..guns are planned, and they will be holstered differently that will aid in her when she unholsters them, it's gonna be a style thing...I gotta do some anims to show this off..it'd be cool to fast forward to the point I was just about to post the anims..>sigh<...:)

@simps: Yep...I like working with triangles, I can read the contours very easily as well edge direction for deformation, but if push came to shove quads it is, I am at present cos' at work we've switched to XSI, and it's primary output afaik is quads as default, and it's quite cool also...:)

@Lord Dubu: LOL....I know...I like it! :thumbsup:...she is feminine after all....and very observant of ya (or was it the title ;))..yes she is chinese...

Updates later tonight...

Cheers all...

AndyH
07-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Hehe - its probably just me, but that thing on her leg reminds me of the classic 'brass eye' moment with the "Robo-pleagic wrongcock" lol!
I apologise if you have no idea what im on about!

Looks good as usual. I think shes a bit bulky and curvy for an asian girl, and the joint on the metal thingy could use strengthening or looking more 'designed'. Its also pretty hard to comment on the mesh flow what with it being triangulated and all. I suppose its good that its triangulated though - some games wont take quads as far as i know.

Im sure the textures will kick arse though!

johnwoo
07-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Hello all...

small update:

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/6193/msyun02wip1jk.jpg

AdamAtomic
07-19-2005, 09:47 PM
some games wont take quads as far as i know.

Even if the games do take them, they will be triangulated on the video card. It is usually better to triangulate ahead of time, and manually touch it up a bit, because especially on low-poly models you can get some bad UV shearing. Also the new edges aren't always turned the way you like, so you can get areas that pop out or sink in where they are not supposed to. I prefer quads for modeling because a lot of apps can't do proper edge graphs (for loops, rings, etc) when the model is triangulated, and especially on organic models being able to access those can save you a lot of time!

Also she is looking cool, but I agree with all the crits so far :)

Por@szek
07-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Looks nice, maybe some zoom in on her face?? Thinking about a some glasses with opacity??

ArchangelTalon
07-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Nice start, face texture is looking pretty damn good already.

I think her arms look a little bit weedy, especially for someone who appears to have seen a good few fights and is still going strong.

Can't say I'm a fan of the mechanical leg, but you continually amaze me with your work, I'm sure you can change my mind by the time it's done :D

CG-Gordon
07-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Wow Johnwoo you dont half crank out models fast. This one is looking real nice so far, i too would prefer to see a non-triangulated mesh just so we can see you poly flow a little easier. I like your proportions and I think your aiming at around the right kind of polycount. The face texture already looks very promising, anychance of a close up? Keep up the pace :thumbsup: looking forward to seeing more.

robin
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Great work john can wait to see her textured.

I got a question for you, why is it that you model your characters in tris, is there something perticular working with them over quads ?

thanks

florian
07-21-2005, 07:13 AM
I love your work :thumbsup: As always, very promising start. I'm sure it will be textured as good. The mechanical part looks a bit forced. Maybe thats just because the construction itself is a bit unusal. Anyway, I think with some nice rebel texture, it wont get that much attention.

waiting for updates :bounce:

johnwoo
07-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Hello all...

@ Adam: "Also the new edges aren't always turned the way you like" in 3d apps?...I know that is the case with 1 package and if the contours/edge flow is concave where it should'nt be then you have to either re-build the polygon(s) or build an edge through it and make it 2 triangles...the latter is the quickest but for a 100% quad model it's not the best solution...thanks also...

@ Por@szek: I'll show details at some stage, but unfortunately...no, she won't have shades at all...:shrug:

@ Archangel: Thanks man...the arms are ok in my opinion...I was'nt going for a muscular/toned look, to me that would spoil the overall look imho...to be a bad-ass it's not all about brawn....(but not that I would know personally what it feels like to be bad-ass...LOL :D)

@ CG_Gordon: Thank you very much for the esupportive words...appreciated...I'll keep that in mind regarding converting it to quads for ya...Cheers man...

@ robin: Thanks dude..."why is it that you model your characters in tris?"..I'm just a sucker for 'em :shrug:...

@ florian: Thank you so much man...your work is very cool also :thumbsup:...the mechanical limb, I was going for something a little different, if it's different does'nt mean it's bad does it?..just using the opportunity to experiment with the design is all...btw did a late night last night on the texturing, she is coming along nicely, the mesh and textures are working well together...

Hopefully updates soon as...

Cheers again all...

Timex
07-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Really cool model :D, i like the leg mechanism :D, i can't wait to see it textured :D .

Amazing updates soon pleaseee !!

the_podman
07-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Cool! I'm definately aboard for the next Johnwoo model. Great stuff! Still don't know how you make any sense of those triangles. ;)

-pod

Por@szek
07-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi Speedy Mr.Lee ;)
I'm looking an update and I don't see it ... :twisted:

Stefander
07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
johnwoo's at it again.. He's destroying my self-confidence about my modeling skills... :sad:

Very good job, no other words for it. Keep up the good work, mate. :thumbsup:

TiZeta
07-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Mmmm... zombies, monsters, film characters, half-mechanized girls, rigging, animation, awsome textures...
is there something you *are not* able to make so perfectly???

johnwoo
07-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Hello all...

Timex: Thanks Timex...hope you like the update...still chipping away at her..

podman: So appreciated...next update..hopefully a lot sooner than this current update I'll post up the wires, just for you quad junkies ;)

Por@szek: LOL...here it is!!....

Stefander: Thanks dude for the encouraging words :thumbsup:

TIZeta: Thanks for the kind words...appreciated...

Ok...small update...still chugging away at the textures, and thought I'd share with ya all this test render...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1776/msyun03wip2hr.jpg

Cheers all...

WHW
07-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Let me be the first to say, WOW!

That's quite an update JohnWoo. Really digging the colour choices and skin texture. Now, let's see that leg :P

kaisasose
07-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Thats looking Saweeet so far mate. :thumbsup:

johnwoo
07-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Hello all...

WHW: Thanks man, glad you like, as for the leg, I'll show on the next update...honest :D...

kaisasose: Cheers man...btw i just saw your current w.i.p...nice one matey :thumbsup:

hanzo
07-30-2005, 01:19 PM
johnwoo man how do yo do this stuff? those textures are great ( like always ) also excellent model I don't know how I missed this thread.

PS: I'll keep an eye out! :twisted: haha

ukson
07-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Ive only been a member for a bit but ur work woo countinues to impress me you make it look so easy, keep it coming because ur stuff is very inspirational.

Stefander
07-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Great as ever, but crits are in place, ofcourse. The scars on her belly look a bit unrealistic, same for the scars on her face. Not completely sure what they lack, but they just don't seem that convincing. Just here to help, great job on the rest. ;)

johnwoo
07-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Hello all...

Hanzo: Thanks for the comments...the textures still need quite a bit of tweaking (in the process now) but it's getting there :)...

ukson: Wow...thanks for the kind words...gotta say tho' it's a lot fun...:)..btw..not sure if it's my place to do so...but welcome to CGTalk :thumbsup:

Stefander: Heh...of course..constructive crits...yep it's been noted and currently in the process of tweaking them..it'll be in the next update...Cheers...

Thanks guys...:thumbsup:

TiZeta
07-31-2005, 11:00 PM
wow! that face is alive.

The only thing i'm not totally convinced with is the edge of the teared sleeve. its' sort of rigid and straight for beeing so much in shreds.
For the scars on the belly, i think the problem is that they are a little similar each other, looks like it is the same one copied.
And some minor things in the texture: a seam in the middle of the "sane" foreharm (her right one) and a very little stretching in the texture of the collar.

Apart from this, everyting is perfect. :thumbsup:

Por@szek
08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Really cool update. Texture like always on high level. I'm not sure that the fingers are correct. Doesn't they too long ?? And also I'm not sure about texture of sweter. It looks too low res if I look on the rest of texture.
Anyway good job so far.

fried
08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
man, the modelling and texturing is damn awesome....

johnwoo
08-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Hello all..

TiZeta: The tears on the sleeves is a tricky thing, not really sure what else can be done to be honest...but I will be looking into fraying the deges even more tho'...as for the scars..yep they are copied :D but I'm losing a couple of them as she looks too scarred on her torso atm, btw..that's not a seam on her arm, it's the lighting information where there is no smoothing groups, smoothing groups will be one of the last things done to the mesh...thanks again for the crits man...:)

Por@szek: the fingers are of proportion to the rest of her, I'll tweak 'em tho' to see if they sit better with the rest of her, as for her sweater, I was going for the large weaved type of warm sweater, but I admit it needs a bit of sharpening up, so it does'nt look blurry

fried: Excellent...thanks man :thumbsup:

Update to come soon...stay tuned :twisted:

WHW
08-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey Mr Lee,

Like TiZeta, I was going to comment about that torn sleeve the other day. It just seems outta place somehow cos the other side of the "jacket" doesn't have a sleeve as such. Unless of course, you're implying it's a torn sleeve, but it somehow looks weird.:shrug:

And I was wondering about the fingers too. Maybe it's that User view you use that's throwing things off ;) The hands in general do seem unusally long - like the length of her forearm.

And I really hope you fix that stretching on the sleeve of the large weave jumper - that's causing me to lose sleep! :D

kOmoo
08-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Her hair looks tot thin, the mechinical leg needs to have rust on it.

johnwoo
08-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Hello all...

WHW: Yep....with the torn sleeve, I'll be looking into it tonight after work, I wanted to simulate the rips in the material by not just having rips in the cloth but also have strands of material frayed also, personally I'm gonna stick with it, but try my hardest to improve it...also with the fingers, I'll do another pass on them, but I'll probably end up tweaking the length to be honest :)

kOmoo: Hmm...too thin??...can you explain what you mean a bit more please...cheers...Oh...and yes the mechanical leg has got rust on it, just in the process of adding materials to it...

Beastie
08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Looks good so far, texture wise. That leg really bothers me though, if theres nothing in the middle why not just have a robotic leg? I think it would make more sense if she still had a busted up knee joint or something but that set shes got there is funny looking. I think you should re-think that, otherwise its a great model!

Neil
08-02-2005, 09:25 PM
what ever happened with this leg issue :)
you said there would be an update.

Saramago
08-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Looking good. Although the hands seem very large. Look forward to updates

LordDubu
08-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Looking good! When I finish my Zombie comic, I'd love to see you model one of my characters.

johnwoo
08-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Hello all....

Beastie: Cheers for the crit...I was after all only experimenting with an idea, so with that said I was pretty sure it was gonna be a 50/50 thing if you guys/gals were gonna like it, I did make a few subtle tweaks, but with what I got now, I'm pretty happy with it, and just as importantly it deforms well...

Neil: Sorry dude...Iknow..Iknow..it's been a long time...been real busy...again work got in the way..HAHA!!...

Saramago: Cheers..funny you should say that..the hands were something I kept scaling to get a result I was happy with, this is'nt a completely 100% realistic character, there is a subtle style thing going on, although I would definitely like to create a fully realistic character, that would be a fun challenge imho, but every personal piece of artwork I do I wanna go more realistic looking...but cheers tho'..

Lord Dubu: Aww...shucks man...thanks for the comment...seriously..it's appreciated...:)

Ok...probably gonna be final images for this thread, as I wanna move onto something new...but as for now pics and a video...Oh...btw..the motion is from mo-cap so excuse the hands cutting through the legs...it was a quick thing to show motion for the character...

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/9184/msyun042on.jpg

Click here to watch rendertest59 (http://media.putfile.com/rendertest59)

the_podman
08-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Came out very cool there, John! The Mocap file could be cooler, but it shows off the deformation very well. Man, I've got some pretty cool Mocap files in MotionBuilder that would fit this character like a glove(some high flying KungFu kicks). Nice work and glad to see it "done".

-pod

Neil
08-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Nice to see you bring it to a closure. It's a quick fix. but that gun barrel hole is huge. That would be a big bullet that comes out of there :)

mindrot
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Looks great John.

Damn... mad leg that :twisted:

Must agree with Neil on the barrel hole bit.

Can't wait to see what you gonna do next :D

~M~

WHW
08-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey John,

Glad to see you finished her, dude. I'll wager it was a lot of fun going down the real/stylised route :) Personally I like the way she's turned out, kinda Lara Croft in those renders.

The leg turned out pretty well - even better now I can see it moving. The glowy strips could perhaps have been animated, but it's a very minor thing. And OMG! She's got some jiggling boobies! ;)

May we see the flats this time round? Pretty please?

TiZeta
08-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Wow, very good result.
Oh, please, like WHW said, make us see some flats :cry: aaaaww i want flats.

Can't wait to see next creature. :thumbsup:

mindrot
08-24-2005, 12:20 AM
OOPS!! Didn't see there was a link to the animation :blush:

Looks great...*jiggle-jiggle*

the_podman
08-24-2005, 12:28 AM
I'll throw in a request for some flats too, but I know John won't post them. He never does for some reason... The limey!! sniff...sniff.

Just kidding, John. Seeing the flats will probably make me green with envy anyway. :)

AndyH
08-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Excellent work matey - youre something of a texture ninja!

Glad you got round to finishing it - it all looks great, but i still aint a fan of that leg - it just doesnt look like it can support her weight and its missing hydraulics, pivots, and little bits of detail that a mechanical leg would have at the joint.

Great work anyhows - what ya moglin' next?

fried
08-24-2005, 07:39 AM
The final work looks awesome. Really great texturing.

johnwoo
08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Hello all...

pod: hey! cheers for the comments, yeah definitely!...if your up for chucking those mocap files my way I'll happily render them out and post 'em up here...thanks man!...:thumbsup:

Neil: HAHA!...yeah...the barrel holes are quite big...and equally big bullets...HAHA...But ya right...I'll shrink 'em down...:)

mindrot: LOL...the leg is a bit mad I guess...I did'nt want conventional mechanical limbs tbh...btw..next w.i.p comin soon...I gotta say I'm damn excited about it...:)..Oh and yep...jiggle is goooooood...HAHA...

WHW: Cheers Wai...appreciated...yep..she was fun, but equally...I need to move on HAHA..glad you liked the leg tho' :)...yeah...you are right about the glowing strips, I was thinking about animating them...but it's something I do wanna look into for future projects, adds more dynamic attributes to the character....yep...definitely...I'll post 'em up tonight...I promise...there I said it...and I'm a man of my word...:D

TiZeta: Thanks man...yep..flats are comin when I get home after work...btw..how did you guess?!?!

pod:...Limey!....HAHA!...seriously I'll post 'em up...btw..the flats are nothing special..HAHA..

AndyH: Cheers matey...and I understand your critique too...but I'll explain the basic theory behind for ya...ok here goes...the steel ring strapped to her thigh has 4 steel pins inserted into that limb, the 2 vertical rods attached to steel ring acts as a support, which has pivotal hinges to simulate a knee joint, the 3 cables which are attached to the severed/bandaged thigh recreate nerves that that ultimately move the mechanical limb to which it is attached to, where the 2 parallel rods at the end are NOT rotational they are in fact rigid and are welded solidly to the steel shin/calf....hope that helps and gives an insight to what I was trying to achieve.:)...what am I working next, well I have already started, I will post the concept and low polygon mesh a.s.a.p

fried: Thanks man..appreciated :)

Updates later on tonight then...as promised...

kaisasose
08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Great work, John...its turned out really well. I see the jiggle and I wanna... then I see the leg and I think, "that might catch"! But seriously it looks really cool. I think the leg works well, a bit cruel with the steel pins through the leg though [gaah] :twisted:

Boondock Saint
08-25-2005, 11:11 PM
i loved the boxer. i loved the minotaur. now i love this.
your work is superb. keep working, so i can keep staring.

you should write a texture tutorial also and give away your dirty bloodspattered secrets. ..hint..
=D

johnwoo
08-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Hello all...

Apologies about the no show with an update yesterday, as I have no internet connection at home since yesterday afternoon, the moment I get this fixed I will update pronto...again apologies...:sad:

johnwoo
08-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Hello all...

1st off....back online...yes!!...my ISP was at fault after all...so I got apologies from them, and now things should run a bit smoother from now on...

Right down to business then shall we?...HAHA..UV Coordinates as promised, some parts of the texture page does'nt have UV's cos' the overlay of coordinates on the colour map has'nt been baked in although they are there and would be present if I baked them again, but more importantly there are no errors and everything works as it should :)

Anyhow...the images...

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6784/msyunuvcoords0aj.jpg

And update for Neil and others who agreed with the crit of the gun barrels being to large...

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/215/msyunfinalrender1ad.jpg

kaisasose: Thanks matey...appreciated...yeah...I guess that's a bit cruel, but it's a cruel world she lives in I guess...

Boondock: Wow...thanks man...thank you for the kind words they are much appreciated...:)

Ok...on with the next w.i.p...

Cheers all

AndyH
08-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Whoa! That last pic is ace! Great pose and lighting - very dynamic.

Nice work matey. Whens your next wip gonna be up?

WHW
08-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Eyup Guv'nor! Blimey, those texture pages are down roight lovely! I especially like the 3rd one with all the metal bits and the boot and trouser details.

But in closer inspection, where's her chest gone?! :eek:

johnwoo
08-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Hello all...

AndyH: Thanks man...next w.i.p is gonna be up soon, modelled the head and working on proportions as we speak...let's just say I am absolutely chuffed with how it's turning out :)

WHW: Hey Wai...thanks dude!...as for her chest, do you mean on the texture or model, cos' on the texture I let the spec and normal bump do all the work, but on the model, her chest is rigged and weighted so I pushed them in slightly since sh is not mean't to be top heavy at all....but cool..glad ya like...:thumbsup:

Next up....."the hideous".....HAHA...I'll post up the concept (1st time ever :D ) aswell with the 1st w.i.p a.s.a.p...anyhow.....I'll shut up and get on with the modelling...HAHA...

Por@szek
08-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Hey dude.

it looks really cool what You show to us. aniamtion is nice, her hair looks lovely in motion. You are using some other maps, maybe spec or something, couse the texture don't looks so detailed as a flat like on the renders. Or maybe some specific light setup?

:thumbsup: Awesome Job like always from ya.
Take care dude.

Norman McCay
09-18-2005, 04:52 PM
That's it! It's official, johnwoo! You're my favorite low-poly modeler!! Hot damn your textures are good!

LordDubu
09-18-2005, 10:10 PM
You gotz skillz John Woo. Only thing I don't like is her cyber-leg. Otherwise... par excellance yo!

nibbuls
09-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Spectacular job! No critiques from me!

Woodys3d
09-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Wow!! Didn't seen this one... I will have to check more the game art forum, now that I've seen the high level here!! Congrats, it looks great!

johnwoo
09-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Hello all...

Por@szek: Thanks dude....yep spec and normal bump (8 bit) are used plus a 3 omni light setup...:)

Norman: Shucks man....that is so kind of ya...and very much appreciated :)

Lord Dubu: Thanks man...I know the leg may still be controversial amongst the viewers, but I did try my best to integrate it so it fits better...but it was my 1st kinda step into mechanical designs on a character, but I was determined not to go down the "seen it so many times before" road...I think I managed that tho'...heh..thanks again :)

nibbuls: Sweet!...cheers dude! :)

Woody3d: Thanks man....but high level?!...there is sooooooo much talent, skill and experience you'll have no problem finding so many great pieces of game artwork here...it's a good crowd here on this forum...

Cheers all...

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2005, 08:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.