PDA

View Full Version : lightwave modeler numeric option question

rock
10-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Hi,

In Modeler, after creating a box or sphere through the numeric options (n), is there a way to go back to that numeric options dialog box to readjust the parameters of the created box or sphere?

It seems that Lightwave does not remember what you had put into the numeric option for the previously created objects.

Rock.

Vodoo_Child
10-26-2002, 09:41 PM
As far as I know your correct. Once you have made the object the numeric selector is no longer functional. You can however "undo" or use the knife and bandsaw tools to add more geometry if you need it.

CIM
10-26-2002, 10:02 PM
Select the box/sphere > hit "x" to cut it > activate the Box or Sphere tool > now go to Actions (Numeric panel) and hit Activate.

Badda-bing you have the exact same settings as before, so now you can make your changes. Simple. :-)

rock
10-27-2002, 12:18 AM
CIM,

It does not work for me when I perform the steps you suggested. I select the object, cut (x) it, select the tool (e.g. ball) that was used to create the object, then press n and then choose activate. The previous parameter values that was set previously in the numeric dialog did not come back.

Rock.

Cman
10-27-2002, 12:59 AM
Well, I think the thing is you have to do it before you reuse that tool again. LW does not remember the settings of a ball you made 3 balls ago, for example, just the last used values.

rock
10-27-2002, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the response. Maybe all objects in Lightwave 8,9,10... should have memories. It really signifies the intelligence of the tool. Now, it is only consistent with the one-level undo in Layout.

Rock

KillMe
10-27-2002, 04:00 AM
yes a history stack could be useful but think i heard somehwere i would require the a change to the way lightwave works and the result might not have as nice a work flow and its something that with a little fore thought can be esily lived without

RobinOberg
10-27-2002, 05:20 AM
Interesting...

bleep
10-27-2002, 06:19 AM
just copy the ball you want the same setting on another layer? and place it after? tricky but should do it...

rock
10-27-2002, 09:06 AM
KillMe,

A history stack is not what really want, since it may be too memory-intensive for large number of objects. We just want to access the current state of each object (such as its positioning, size, color, and so on). So that we can modify it with exact or finer details.

Bleep,

I also tried what you suggested but it simply does not work. The previous or current state of the sphere, ball or box in question seems to be stored somewhere, but Lightwave does not present it to us. Lightwave has to know it because it is drawing the box on the screen each time we restart Lightwave and bring the model back up.

- Rock.

Cman
10-27-2002, 10:05 AM
With my experience of writing many Modeler LScripts I think the problem you are having is because LW does not store our objects as "objects". It simply stores position data for points and polygons, there is no "sphere" or "cube" per se, as in a Nurb object. Therefore, there's really no sphere to recall. When you make a sphere, your just telling LW where to put points in space, and how to connect them, in such a way that WE perceive it as a sphere.
IMHO, I think that's the problem.

A history stack would be easier to implement, I should think, as LW already maintains an undo list. However, to my knowledge, it does not retain discrete objects.

KillMe
10-27-2002, 04:56 PM
ok i see what you mean - and yup so you have a cord system in modler in a world mode so when you click on it it and bring up move you get where it is as apposed to 0,0,0 and can more from there - yeah that would be handy to solve your prob - acaully i not sure what the problem is but

try creating a point ina background layer use teh set value tool to set it where youw ant then copy your sphere or what ever into another background layer then use the aligner on it to the layer with the single poitn and it should appear where the point is not sure if that will work for rotation though

Vodoo_Child
10-28-2002, 07:58 AM
I am not real sure what the intent is here. When I posted last time I thought maybe you wanted to add new geometry to an existing object. Perhaps you are trying to "make" a new primative. A possible solution would be to use "Lscript commander", a plugin (included in ver 7 and higher I think) to record changes to a primative. This plugin makes a script you can put in a menu or assign a keyboard shortcut. Then all you have to do is activate the script and instant new object. Kind of a cool way to automate repetative tasks like creating copies of an object you use as a base to model from.

rock
10-28-2002, 09:25 AM
I think I misunderstood the problem myself. What I had thought was that Lightwave should remember each object's current or last state so that the user can query that state at any given moment. For example, if the user draw two or more boxes, the user ought to be able to query the properties of box 1 or 2 at any given time. The properties can be its position, colour, all the points or polygons that make up that box.

After thinking about it some more, however, I feel that a box may become a head - when the user chisels that box into a human organic head. When that happens, the head is no longer a box. So the n numeric properties dialog no longer applies to that head which was once a box.

All I wanted in the initial post was to recall the properties of box 1 after having drawn 2 boxes so that I can adjust the properties of box1 through the n numeric dialog. Nothing special.

Rock.

rock
11-05-2002, 11:23 PM
Cinema 4D remembers every box and squares and objects at all times. Impartially, its workflow seems highly intelligent and more modern than Lightwave, especially Cinema 4D 8.0 just came out.

Rock.

aurora
11-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Maya also keeps a rather intense history stack for everything. Its easier for Maya in this regard since everything little thing in Maya is considerd a node. However I don't think that Maya would help out in this since the work flow is different in this regard. I have to admit though that I like the node concept of Maya, at least as long as I remember to go back and clean that history stack every now and then.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.