PDA

View Full Version : should i get it changed to amd 3200+

haneet22
07-17-2005, 08:35 AM
hi everyone

i have p4 3.0ghz without HT and 2gb ram, intel 915 board 160gb sata and no graphics card(add on).

now i bought this comp a month back because at that time amd 3200 64 bit 939 pin socket was not available in my country..
but now its avialable.

so i want to ask that should i go in for that ...i mean the guy from whom i bought this is saying that he will replace the processor and motherboard and put in the new amd 3200 with MSI board rest all he said"we don't need to change"

please i need your suggestions as someone has told me that amd heats up very soon.regarding my profession i would like to tell you that my comp is genearlly on from 2100 to 0900 in the morning because of the internet downlaods plus at a stretch my comp is generally on for 5-6 hrs...

Should i go in for AMD or continue with the p4 3.0

thanks
haneet

lots
07-17-2005, 09:48 AM
please i need your suggestions as someone has told me that amd heats up very soon.regarding my profession i would like to tell you that my comp is genearlly on from 2100 to 0900 in the morning because of the internet downlaods plus at a stretch my comp is generally on for 5-6 hrs...

Whoever told you that has been living under a rock for the past 4 years. The "heat" issues AMD had were a very long time ago (in the time of the Thunderbird). Today, the story is quite the opposite. That P4 you have runs much hotter than the AMD chip you are asking about (most likely). In my opinion, AMD is the way to go. The chips are faster, they are cooler running, and they have a much better upgrade path than Intel does. Why wouldnt you do that? ;)

TheCleaner
07-17-2005, 10:59 AM
A P4 without HT holds very little if any advantage over the A64 SKT 939 3200 (which will be a winchester or venice) this doesnt regard getting caught up in the 64-bit hype.. but in terms of longetivity it is better, mainly that with skt939, if you ever feel like getting into dual cpu setups, the A64 X2 chips run on skt939 boards

Just some advice, if the man is generous, see about getting an nforce4 motherboard with PCI-E.. its a long shot if hes just an OEM seller who will give you something that works and no extras.. but its worth a go...

regardless, if you have the oppourtunity to go A64 3200 Sskt939 for free, do it !

haneet22
07-17-2005, 01:38 PM
thanks for the replies people...

one more thing: will there be speed differenece if i go in for AMD.because that is the main concern right now for me .If there is not much of speed difference then there is no point in getting it changed.

imashination
07-17-2005, 01:46 PM
There will be almost zero speed change

catamount
07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
that P4 could be faster, certainly equal. not worth the hassle.

Hazdaz
07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
The speed difference between a 3.0 P4 and a 3200 Athlon64 would be minimal at best.

Like I sure as hell wouldn't pay anything extra to go from the P4 to the Athlon64, but if the guy was willing to swap this out for free (which I doubt) then it probably would be worth the trouble. I mean, the whole 64-bit thing is pretty much just hype - for now, but once more and more software runs natively on 64-bit Windows, there will be reason enough to want one.

If I was buying a brand new system today, I would definitly be going the 64-bit route to be ever-so-slightly future-proof.

haneet22
07-17-2005, 04:46 PM
he is charging me for doing this change.....not too much though
and my p4 is without HT technology ...so now tell me will there be any considerable speed difference or not..i have come to know that the MSI board which will be also installed has onboard 64 mb ATI radeon.

i am confused

the suggestions are like 50 - 50 till now from u ppl.thanks btw for the help

i need some more suggestions

thanks

leif3d
07-18-2005, 02:02 AM
I have an AMD 3200 socket 939...great chip...overclockable to about 15% ...but you honestly wont see much more than 10% difference compared to your current setup...now...if you upgrade to a dual-core AMD then things change about 60% in your favor in render times or apps that use 2 threads...my 2 cents

MadMax
07-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Go for the AMD, you'll be MUCH happier with it than an aging Pentium.

Your Pentium has a slow FSB, less memory banwidth, ZERO upgrade path.

versus the AMD with a 1ghz. Hypertransport bus, 64 bit, and a great upgrade path to dual cores later if you want one.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 07:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.