PDA

View Full Version : wacom tablets

whimbot
07-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a wacom tablet for 3D and Digital painting.
I have been doing some research on the tablets and I was wondering if
there is a significant difference between the intuos2 and intous3 tablets.
Of course the tablets come in many sizes. I was wondering if a 9x12 tablet
is considered to be adequate for 3D and painting. Larger tablets - 12x12 etc.
appear to be more cumbersome - though i could be wrong on this

I appreciate your help on this

Adam

leif3d
07-18-2005, 02:06 AM
There are several posts like these around here whimbot...you might get your question answered a lot faster looking for one, than wainting for an answer here....but since I'm at it...you'll be ok getting an intuos 2 or 3 6X8 or above...some people feel their wrists tired with the 9X12's and some love the space...I really like my 6X8 i feel it's more portable and it gets my arm less tired.

whimbot
07-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi Leif,

Thanks for the info. I can see how one can get tired out using the larger tablets.
I may go with the 6x8 - as it is more portable and it costs less as well.

I will check for other posts on this topic - though your answer makes alot of sense to me.

Adam

lokki
07-18-2005, 04:48 AM
Adam - If you are interested, I have a 6x8 Intuos2 for sale. USB, 4D mouse, Pen, but you'll have to d/l the drivers yourself.

email me or send a PM if you'd like more information

pst.lokki AT gmail DOT com

-Scott

whimbot
07-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey Scott,

After reading addtional tablet threads - I'm still not sure which tablet I will opt for.
If I decide on 6x8 i will email you.

Thanks,

Adam

ThomasMahler
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
There's been a very simliar thread to this one only a few days ago - I think the most practical tablet is the 6x8 (A5).

lokki
07-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Adam,

I completely understand - if you have a chance, find someone nearby (store, friend, etc) that has a unit you can test drive. The actual functionality between the 2 and 3 is very similar for drawing, but the additional buttons can be very useful on the 3. My only problem is hitting the touch strip by mistake with my arm (e.g., reaching to my keyboard and resting my forearm on the strip) which can cause all kinds of annoyances.

That being said, I really enjoy the new version, though the sensitivity is exactly the same.

At any rate, do some test drives on different sizes, and if possible on different models/manufacturers. That's the only real way to tell, and even then... ;)

whimbot
07-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the additional posts on this.

Yeah testing out a tablet is a good idea. Earlier today I contacted one of my computer instructors and he said one of the university computer labs has a 4x5 tablet i could test. I'll try to get over there by the weekend.

At home I have a dual monitor setup - so i'm not sure which tablet size would work best for digitally painting illustrations, textures, etc. Some of the other threads address this - but their opinions vary.

bedlam
07-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi, when I paint using my wacom(old serial intous A5) I restrict the "Pen mode" to one monitor, and keep references or/and other stuff on the other one. I havenīt used it in 3dsMax yet but I really donīt think the tablet very useful there. When I use Zbrush I have the same setup as when i paint/photoshop.

The size of an A5 tablet is perfect, for me anyway. I think it would be a real pain in the ass to have to move your pencil anymore than I already do.

To me the price of a new intous3 tablet was to much since I didnīt know if a tablet really was my thing :) And quite frankly, I still donīt know. Iīm using it quite alot at the moment but will see in a few months if it was a good purchase. And if it was, Iīll buy a newer version of the intous when the money walks my way :)

vB Floris
07-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi, when I paint using my wacom(old serial intous A5) I restrict the "Pen mode" to one monitor, and keep references or/and other stuff on the other one. I havenīt used it in 3dsMax yet but I really donīt think the tablet very useful there. When I use Zbrush I have the same setup as when i paint/photoshop.

The size of an A5 tablet is perfect, for me anyway. I think it would be a real pain in the ass to have to move your pencil anymore than I already do.

To me the price of a new intous3 tablet was to much since I didnīt know if a tablet really was my thing :) And quite frankly, I still donīt know. Iīm using it quite alot at the moment but will see in a few months if it was a good purchase. And if it was, Iīll buy a newer version of the intous when the money walks my way :)

I recently got myself a wacom graphire 3 and its a5, and I am very happy with it. I have it restricted to one of the monitors and it works great.

lokki
07-20-2005, 05:42 AM
I use dual screens at work, and only have the tablet mapped to the screen I use for drawing. Tried doing both, but it was a nightmare... the aspect ratio is hosed, to say the least.

The 4x5 might feel a little cramped, but some people really like the tiny size, especially if you plan to use it with a laptop on the road (I use my 6x8 which fits nicely in the pockets).

whimbot
07-20-2005, 07:18 AM
good to hear that it is easy to restrict the tablet to a single monitor. some of the old threads made it seem difficult.

I should have the opportunity to try the 4x5 by the end of the week.

I checked out the graphire line of tablets - they are priced reasonably.

Thanks

TheCleaner
07-20-2005, 01:47 PM
i was in this pickle not long ago.. between the intuos 2 or 3.. i ended up getting the 3..

i originally bought the 6x8 but found it impractical for my uses , so i sent it back, saved a good chunk of money, and now feel very satisfied with my purchase. I bought thebundle version so its got a neoprene sleeve and a load of nibs and a pen grip ive never used

so definetly have a feel of both the A5 and A6

lokki
07-20-2005, 04:58 PM
The Graphire tablets have reduces resolution (half, actually), enough that you may feel they aren't sensitive enough for your needs. Try making large, quick, sweeping curves with the pressure sensitivity turned on, and you'll see what I mean.

Graphire also doesn't have the additional buttons, tool ID, nor can it support the art brushes. However, one really nice feature is the bluetooth version, something that could be very comfortable for general use.

I assume you've dug all around Wacom's site? They have some great information there to help you choose a version and size, though hands-on playing can not be overemphasized!

Anyway, you've heard enough from me ;)

whimbot
07-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys,

I think I now have enough info to make an educated purchase decision.

cubtronic
10-01-2005, 07:47 PM
help!! my tablet is too big!!!
I have an A4 oversize Wacom Tablet, Mac version + PC connector, Stylus, 15 Button mouse, Unused but roughly 5 years old. Approx 30 inches square.

It's too big!!!

does anyone with a nice, practical, mid sized table wanna upgrade to a bigger one?

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2005, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.