PDA

View Full Version : connecting blend shapes

Spiffjackson
07-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Hi all. I am having a problem with connecting blend shapes to a rigged character. I sepparated the head from the body and it still works fine with my rig controls. It is a polygon character. However, when I try to add the blend shapes that I created off of that separated head I get a defromation ordering problem. I know that i have to have the skincluster node and the blendshape node in the right order under "inputs", but when I try to put them in the right order I get a message telling me that "warning: skinCluster1 is not deforming HeadSkinShape". Basically its saying that after I sepparated the head from the body the skinCluster is not effecting it anymore. Then how come the head still moves correctly with the rig? This is driving me crazy. My blendShapes just move the head back to origin no matter what I do.

Is there a correct way to sepparate the head from the body before applying blend shapes so that the skinCluster1 node is still deforming it? I selected the faces that make up the head and used -edit polys--extract(with separate extacted faces turned on). please let me know if there is a better way that will fix my problem.

clint

Clanker
07-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Hi Spiffjackson,

ok, that's my first post...hope it will be helpful ;)
I'm a french guy, so pardon me if there's some mistakes...

Here is my technic :

First, export your skin weight maps : Skin>Edit Smooth Skin>Export Skin Weight Maps. (Take care to have no overlapping on your uv's. In that case, just do an Automatic Mapping on a new UV set).
Then, separate the head from the body with Extract (Separate Extracted Faces on). Delete History on the two objects.

Duplicate your head, modify the geometry and create your blendshape(s) (with origin : local, and under "Advanced",Deformation Order : Parallel).

Select the original head then the body and combine. Merge the vertices around the seam.

Rename your object as it were named before the skin weight map export. Skin your mesh : Skin>Bind Skin>Smooth Bind and import your skin weight map : Skin>Edit Smooth Skin>Import Skin Weight Maps...

That's done!!!

Spiffjackson
07-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Thanks Clanker. No problem. I already fixed it. similar process to what you suggested. I just had to spend a little time repainting weights on the head and jaw area. Now It is working properly. It took me about 3 hours to trouble shoot before I finally nailed it down.

thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 05:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.