PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor help needed urgently!

vineeth
07-16-2005, 08:40 PM
hi

I have 2 CRT's with me now and i want to setup a dual monitor display on my PC!

This is what i have-

P4 3Ghz 800mhz
1 gb ram
Intel geniune D865GBF Mtherbrd with Intel extreme graphics 2
ASUS v 8170 nfiniteFX (Geforce 4 MX) AGP card with TV out

CRT's
compaq coloreal 5500 15"
viewsonic 171f 17"

Can i connect one monitor on AGP's out and other one on integrted card's out?
will i get both clone and span display?
i tried conneting the setup once, but the system didnt boot!

Thnks for reading.

BillB
07-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Probably not. In my experience, they're mutually exclusive. Pretty sure the Intel graphics are AGP too, so you can't have both. You'll have the find a PCI graphics card to add in.

Kickflipkid687
07-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Sorry, but you need a dual port graphics card for it to work, at leat with my exp. I hooked both mine up to my 9800 pro, then just went to my ATI control panel and turn on extended desktop and it works perfectly. If you tried to use intergrated graphics card and your other graphic card it wont work. Because only 1 card can run at one time, so it would only be using one monitor.

lots
07-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Actually that depends. Most boards now adays usually disable the onboard video when a video card is plugged into the AGP/PCI/PCIe slot(s). You can go in and try to enable it, but my guess would be that the system will not let you run both at the same time.

There are a few solutions though. Either buy a new video card with dual head (or more) capability, or keep your current card and get a nice cheap PCI card to plug into one of the PCI slots. Windows will be able to handle the dual display on it's own without any special drivers (assuming you run anything Windows 2000 and up... though 98 may do it as well.. i dont remember :P).

vineeth
07-17-2005, 07:44 PM
thnks for ur comments

If i buy a PCI card and add it to the existing system will i get both span and split type displays with 2 monitors?
recomended economic cards?

---------------------------
or is it best to upgrade my AGP card? i use XP pro SP2, i am a designer

i use system heavy softwares like MAX, MAYA, Aftereffects etc.

which AGP card is best for these?
Also id like to know the best monitor 17" for use with design works?

mummey
07-17-2005, 07:53 PM
thnks for ur comments

If i buy a PCI card and add it to the existing system will i get both span and split type displays with 2 monitors?

---------------------------

For the cost of finding and purchasing a PCI card, you can instead purchase a dual-out AGP card. This will save you cost and hassle.

lots
07-18-2005, 07:28 AM
thnks for ur comments

What do you mean? Having two cards (AGP + a PCI) will allow you to have dual displays (and if the PCI card has two outputs, 3). Granted, the card in the AGP slot, in most cases, will have the bulk of the power, and thus things displaying off of that card will perform the best.

Most modern video cards come with 2 display outputs, so if you do shoot for a new card it will have the ability for 2 displays. If you do get a new one, I would look at Nvidia's 6800GT (AGP version) if its within your price range, if not, there are a whole slew of threads on this forum with this kind of information...

iambic
07-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Also id like to know the best monitor 17" for use with design works?[/QUOTE]

That's a bit of an oxymoron... I don't think there is such a thing as a "best" 17" crt....man if you're running 3ds max, maya, etc at 1024 x 768 you're working in the dark ages...have a read through this site, everyone here's using 20-inchs plus....Get yourself a descent canvas, invest in at least something that displays 1600x1200...the're effing affordable, and you won't regret it!....btw any modern card that can display 1600x1200 will usually have two outputs...the issue here is to get a card with dual dvi's....

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.