PDA

View Full Version : trying to salvage a computer on it's last leg

davidfro
07-16-2005, 04:10 PM
I have a little bit older computer that crashed on me. I'm trying to figure out a way to reinstall windows on it. The cd drives don't work, I think where it connects to the motherboard is burned out or something. all it has is an external USB dvd burner. Is there any way to use this external drive to install windows?

Davido Hyer

EscapeYourMind
07-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes, all burners are also able to read, so just use it like your would a normal cd-rom.

lots
07-17-2005, 04:43 AM
That would work, IF your old computer is capable of booting from the USB interface. Not all systems can do this. Especially older ones.

TheCleaner
07-17-2005, 11:06 AM
you need to learn about the bios.. because it will involve changing the boot order so it checks the USB interface first

its likely now to be set as floppy >ide 1>cd-rom

you need something like usb>ide 1>[whatever], basically as long as USB is first

when it finds the boot from something other than IDE (like USB/CD-ROM), it will usually prompt you, as its unusual media to boot from..

you may need to enable 'USB interface in DOS', or something worded to that effect in I/O settings, so it is selectable in the boot list

hope it work for you

EscapeYourMind
07-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Ahh thats right, forgot about the part of installing windows lol. Ya it depends if your computer can boot from a usb device, and you'd have to check the bios like whats said above.

singularity2006
07-17-2005, 11:08 PM
normally external optical drives are just regular drives popped into an enclosure. Pop it out, plug it in slave to the primary IDE channel with the hard drive and install it that way. U won't need the secondary channel since it's fried anyway.

davidfro
07-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, I finally got windows to install. However, there's something terribly wrong with the computer, as while it is installing windows, it crashes every time at a certain point. I'm thinking maybe it's the motherboard is just too old, so maybe there's nothing I can do short of salvaging it for parts... Thanks anyway!

Davido Hyer

singularity2006
07-20-2005, 06:12 AM
i did lots and refused to give up on my board... i took out all the hardware, installed windows with just the bare mobo and then began inserting things one at a time to isolate the problem, swapped PCI, replaced the CMOS battery, flashed the CMOS, replaced RAM, PSU's.... man... finally it was just fried... realized that a capacitor popped on the board ruining it. Hey, maybe u can find a popped capacitor.

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2005, 06:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.