PDA

View Full Version : low-poly models

Armanguy
07-16-2005, 06:09 AM
hey there i was wondering if theres any really good tutorials on making really low-poly models of players and guns just like the one's like low-poly master chief that adam atomic made thanks please reply.:)

AdamAtomic
07-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Armanguy - I don't know of any in particular, I am entirely self-taught. Here are some places that I go for inspiration:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/index.htm - I am completely in love with his design and color sensibilities. There is very little on his site that is actually about modeling or pixel art, but I spend more time in his galleries than I do anywhere else.

http://www.bobotheseal.com/ - Easily my favorite medium-res character modeler. Check out his meshes, examine them, especially take note of what he decides to model and what he doesn't!

I think it is helpful to practice unwrapping and painting textures at very small resolutions, 128x128 or smaller, because it really helps you understand how important each pixel is. When you are working on a 512x512, even if you only use 75% of your sheet you still have a lot of detail, but if you skip maybe 100 pixels or so on a 64x64 sheet you are just boned! The best thing to do is practice, and low poly is perfect for this, you can make a new complete model every day and try different things every day! It is a great way to learn and practice and have fun.

I hope that helps! There are very few tutorials out there that can really answer all your questions, in my experience some good references, some good inspiration, and a lot of practice is what does the trick!

Armanguy
07-16-2005, 12:38 PM
really well yeah i was really hoping for some tutorial links but this is good to. but if any1 has any tutorials plz post them

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 12:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.