PDA

View Full Version : CPU Fan isn't spinning

harmonic01
07-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Hello guys. I was hopiong you could help.

My cpu fan stopped spinning. So, naturaly, I ordered a new one. I installed the new one, and it's not spinning either. :( It was the same fan too, and I plugged the wire in to where it needs to be plugged on the motherboard.

Btw, it is a Dell Dinension 8200 computer. So a bit later I discovered that my Dell came with a whimpy 250 watt power supply. So, I thought maybe power supply just started dying or something. I did install Quadro FX 1100 a while ago which required to be powered by a power supply. So, I ordered a new 420 watt power supply that is compatible with my Dell. I just installed it. Everything works fine but cpu fan still isn't spinning. :(

So, anybody has any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

SweetDreamz
07-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Something faulty with the connection of the fan with the motherboard?

lots
07-16-2005, 05:55 AM
Its also possible the fan plug on the motherboard uses a different pin layout..

In the case of a fan, this is probably just reversed :P since there are really only 2 pins needed...

ambient-whisper
07-16-2005, 06:07 AM
my Mobo has the ability to plug 2 cpu fans. ( well theres 2 plugs anyway ). so if yours has this too, then maybe you can try another cpufan plug?

harmonic01
07-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys, I'll look for another plub, although I don't think I saw anything similar on the motherboard. Somebody also suggested that the temperature sensor under my proc is dieing. Any way to test if that's the case?

imashination
07-16-2005, 11:59 AM
1) On some machines the fan switches off when the cpu is not in use

2) grab a cheap little converter cable to turn a molex 4 pin into a fan header, that will keep it spinning, but likely a bit noisier.

harmonic01
07-16-2005, 04:48 PM
imashination, Thanks. I don't mind noise at all as long as it spins. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 04:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.