PDA

View Full Version : keeping my hands still

Transform Gizmo
10-26-2002, 10:32 AM
i have been refining a rig of mine that ive made in 3ds max and i have been making some changes. one problem i have run into is with the arms. the old setup for the arms that i had seemed to work fine, i had a HI solver going from the upper arm to the hand, and a dummy set up as the target for the swivel angle. but i was doing some test animations and one thing that i realized could be a problem, is that i couldnt get the hand to stay planted. i would like to have the arm set up so that i can keep the hand planted, kind of like with character studio, where you can set a planted key, and no matter what the rest of the body does, the hand remains still, and doesnt rotate with the rest of the limb. any suggestions on how i might go about this?

goosh
10-28-2002, 04:41 PM
In Maya I would add a null object and contrain the rotation and position of the wrist to it and viola!!

I suppose you can do that in Max too..

Give it a try

G

Transform Gizmo
10-29-2002, 08:04 AM
thanks for the reply, ill give that a try.

dmcgrath
11-01-2002, 08:06 AM
I think what you need is an IK arm. Then constrain the point to the object that doesn't move. Im not sure how to do that in Max yet, but I'll ask a teacher tomorrow, and keep you posted. If I remember
:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.