PDA

View Full Version : adding atributes with mel?

newRigger
07-15-2005, 09:53 PM
hi im trying to add an atrubite to a locator controller i have in the middle of a script i have running other operations

im really not so hot at mel, basicly only just grab from echo all commands checked or unchecked and the paste them into a edit pad to get what i need done.. if u can record it i can usaly mel it! heh..

ne way is there a way to add atribute with a mel say set it from 0-10 or whatever?

i keep geting errors when i run this recorded action
addDAA;
addAttr -ln aaa -at double -min 0 -max 10 |locator1;
setAttr -e -keyable true |locator1.aaa;

it dosnt get the name or the min/max/default fields i fill in..

thanks!

twedzel
07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
For Mel to work properly you should make sure your naming conventions are unique. Being really anal with names makes it tons easier. The |locator1 means you have more than one locator called locator1. So it'll give you the full heirarchy to differentiate between them, ie group1|locator1 or LScrotumJoint|PubeJoint|locator1. So the mel comand is failing because simply saying |locator1 doesn't mean anything to it.

So name the locator something unique and you won't run into this problem. Name the locator Fred and the code should read

addAttr -ln aaa -at double -min 0 -max 10 Fred;
setAttr -e -keyable true Fred.aaa;

shrtcww
07-16-2005, 02:44 AM
remember if your adding a attribute you can also make it keyable at the same time with the -keyable (-k) flag like so:

addAttr -ln aaa -at double -min 0 -max 10 -keyable true Fred;

no real difference - just one less line to debug, as well things happen =D

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 02:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.