PDA

View Full Version : A Monster Ate my Monitor

Lordiego01
07-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah, you read that right. My puppy dog ate the data wire from my beautiful 21-inch CRT monitor. You know, the ONE wire that's built-in and can' be easily replaced?

I've tried to get it soldered (professionally) but that didn't help at all.

I've called places to get it fixed, but everybody tells me this can't be done.
(They also mention what amazing prices they have on monitors!)

A new one just costs too much money.

Is my monitor shot? Will it have to go to Monitor Heaven or become a fish-tank?

(http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=att&disp=inline&attid=0.2&th=104c3a390562ead3)

Srek
07-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Sounds dodgy to me. I soldered more then one monitor cable in my life and it should be possible for a pro without any problems. You have to take care and know your job to get a good image quality though.
Cheers
Björn

EscapeYourMind
07-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Is it still under warrenty by chance? Obviously not if you had someone try to solder the wires, but just thought I'd ask, sometimes things can slip your mind.

imashination
07-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Since when do warranties cover 'being eaten by dogs' ?

He's hardly going to walk into the store and say "my dog has ruined this one, give me a new one, free"

EscapeYourMind
07-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Well, if the cable has been damanged he could try to get it repaired by the manufacturer. He probably won't get a new one, but the manufacture should be able to service/repair it.

Obviously hes run out of other options, so I say the warrenty if he still has one would the next best option.

harmonic01
07-16-2005, 01:53 AM
Hey Diego. That SUX. Your puppy IS cute, though. :)

HowardB
07-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I've called places to get it fixed, but everybody tells me this can't be done.
(They also mention what amazing prices they have on monitors!)

Try taking it to a non computer shop like and electrical outlet or something, its defiantly something that can be fixed maybe your just going to the wrong places. Like a computer store will just look at it and think the same thing your saying “ohh the cable’s attached to the monitor, you can’t replace it, you need a new monitor” because if its something that’s not fixable by ordering a part it can’t be done.

If this happened to me, id just cut a cable off an old/broken monitor, or get one from a computer shop, solder it into place and BAM an hour or so later your back up and running. 21-inch CRT monitor’s are becoming harder to find, so if you have one its probably a good idea to get it fixed then to replace it.

Valkyrien
07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
i'm sure that's what you tell all the teachers...:rolleyes:

Wintermute
07-16-2005, 06:21 PM
If you're feeling adventurous

I'd try to find a replacement cable. Preferably from a monitor by the same manufacturer. You should be able to remove the case from the display and get at the point where the signal cable connects. A replacement at the board will probably give you better results. if you're lucky there won't be any soldering, just a connector.

A word of warning though:
the internal components of a CRT contain voltages that can kill you-even after they've been unplugged for some time. Do not touch anything at the base (back) of the picture tube, or the heavy line connecting to the top of the tube. Your only interest is the signal cable attachment, just be aware of where your hands and arms are when working. Work slowly and methodically. When you have the case off, it might be a good time to blow some dust out as well.

Either way it's going to be a challenge. A TV repair shop might be able to do this for you, if you can find a part.

I hope that's of some help. Keep us posted!

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.