PDA

View Full Version : Face Gen Modeler

at_626
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
just wondering any one have try or familiar about Face Gen Modeler?

here's the link:
http://www.facegen.com

T4D
07-15-2005, 12:26 PM
I used to uses that one But now i used Poser 5 with the face room
you get a new face and a body, work pretty well in Lightwave too :thumbsup:

Rod Seffen
07-15-2005, 01:06 PM
It's pretty useless I think. All the face looks the same. I guarantee I could tell you if a face was generated in facegen with just a quick glance at it. It also generates pretty dense mehses which can't be easily remodeled later in LW. The only good thing about it are the morph targets it generates for facial expressions and lip sync.

T4D
07-15-2005, 01:15 PM
If only i had clients had would pay me to make custom background characters

i also find modeling over these models ( Putting the model in a background layer ) and model over the top a time save if you need a good flowing mesh

at_626
07-16-2005, 05:31 AM
thanks.:)
so i guess poser is better and cheaper.

Megalodon
07-16-2005, 08:30 AM
As I recall... FaceGen allows you to create the mesh in varying degrees of detail. One not-so-good feature of FaceGen is the fact that it can only save texture maps at 512x512. I was also thinking of getting it, but I was told by one of their reps that v4 to be released some time in 2006 will be able to export larger textures. I guess that 512x512 is okay for games and distant shots, but if you're doing anything with CA a larger texture would be required. For that though... I would defer to T4D! :)

Poser6 is a VERY good app and we use it on ocassion as well. And if you want to bring the character into LW from Poser6 check out Greenbriar tools (http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/) which can transfer bone info very easily into something that LW can understand and you can use.

Good Luck!

Megalodon

T4D
07-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Hey Megalodon you hippe you :buttrock:

how is poser 6 for us who only uses it for the models :D

I Only had a quick check when it was released i only remember new render features
anything in V6 new and useful ?

Also My Rigging tools specially the latest V3 are pretty good for rigging Poser characters in Lightwave ( i designed the rig for V3 using Daz studios Victora model ) I have Qtime3D on my site of her looking pretty fine :thumbsup:

Tho i have heard some good things about the Greenbriar tools too.

Megalodon
07-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Hey T4D! :)

I'd say that if you were only using it for the models... Poser 4 or 5 would be more than enough. I've used the Pro Pack plugin in LW to export a few simple walking people for our architectural animations, but ended up finally using morphs in the end - the plugin was painful. I honestly don't really delve too deeply into the program, but there is supposed to be an improved Face Room, exporting morphs is (I believe) different - now you can select which morphs to export instead of having tham ALL go and the file be huge. I've not tried this so I am definitely NOT the one to ask for facts. They're supposed to have improved the rendering quite a bit and I think it's got SSS - but then I don't render anything in Poser and you probably don't either.

And I'm waiting for your next version of T4D Rigging tools! Like I said in SQ, I purchase plugins often even though I may not use them right away. Gotta support you guys! But one of these days... I'm gonna get the opportunity... and look out! :)

Megalodon

T4D
07-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Cool thanks for the info :thumbsup:
just liked to check I feel poser 5 is fine, the only thing it has over 4 was the face room
but never really checked out 6 thanks for saving me some time :buttrock:

if I didn't uses the face room i would replace everything with Daz studio it getting to a pretty cool level now.

Megalodon
07-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Yeah, Poser 5 (with all service packs) works just fine. Since you just need the figures - which I think are pretty darn good - I probably wouldn't upgrade until they really enhance the face room or something else that's ground-breaking.

DAZ Studio... yet another program I don't have time to get into. I've got Bodypaint2, Vue5I, RealFlow2 (going to get RF3), Motion Builder6, DF4 (soon to be 5), etc. - all of which I have VERY little time to learn. Being busy and making money is great, but having no time to play with the new toys.... I mean new tools.... can be frustrating! But it sure beats not working at all! :)

I wish us luck at Siggraph!

Megalodon

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2005, 08:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.