PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some training material

Grgeon
02-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I'm looking for some good training material for maya on os X. Does anyone have the maya osX dvd? any input on that. How about the maya videos on aliaswavefront website? Or the gnomon videos? I heard those were good, but don't know which ones to get. I'm intermediate in 3d, but fairly new to maya. Any advice to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Grgeon

meloncully
02-20-2002, 02:08 AM
well, i recently purchased the learning maya 4 book and it is great! It takes you through a lot of things that you need to know about maya. Good book. Its from alias wavefront's website by the way.

________
meloncully

SheepFactory
02-20-2002, 07:58 AM
the gnomon tapes are awesome , alex alvarez is the man when it comes to training.

do not buy tapes from alias , they are more like marketing tapes than training.

gnomon online is also a good resource , although it lacks beginner level tutorials.

Hope that helps

A|i

el gatto
02-20-2002, 10:48 AM
I think that learning Maya is defenitly a good book, It's really well done, very good for basic stuff you really need to know, and with all the stuff you'll find on the web www.highend3d.com I not sure if you need 20 Gnomon tapes at 50 $ each ? ;) If you choose to buy Gnomon tapes make sure Alex Alvarez is featuring on the video before you buy it , I got caught buying the texturing and projection tape, and :( .......

Well good luck and good learning :D

ciao

SheepFactory
02-20-2002, 10:50 AM
:) , texturing and projection is a cool tape too , but Darrin Krumwide put you to sleep like no other , he has a monotone voice.

still good tapes though

A|i

Grgeon
02-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Hey Thanks guys... Very helpful information I like the fact that books will carry a wealth of knowledge, but actually seeing someone doing it is so much easier for me to learn.

So if I want to learn character animation and visual effects, what tapes should i get? say i could afford 4?

Thanks again,
Grgeon

P.S. I ordered a book, so hopefully I'll have the basics down

meloncully
02-22-2002, 07:06 AM
well, after all that decision making, what book did you order?

________
meloncully

Grgeon
02-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Hi,
I ordered the quickstart guide to maya 3.5/4. It was cheap and It was the only one that I saw that reffered to the maya osX version. Now I need a couple of tapes, and I'm set.

Grgeon:D

SheepFactory
02-22-2002, 09:27 PM
definetely get , kinematics 1, 2 and 3.

there are some really useful material in the kinematics tapes , that'll take you a long time to learn otherwise

good luck

A|i

Grgeon
02-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Hey Thanks!
I was thinking about getting the kinematics. So you think I would learn it better through the tapes, rather than through a book? Are you an animator? What about the constraints tape? Thanks again for your input.

Grgeon

Grgeon
02-26-2002, 03:07 AM
I'm also thinking about getting the dynamics tapes... Does anyone have any input on those? Any advice on helping me choose would greatly appreciated.

Grgeon

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.