PDA

View Full Version : Evolutionary CGI: Ice Age

Leonard
10-26-2002, 06:32 AM
Hello friends!

This time, we go behind the scenes of Ice Age, from Blue Sky Studios.

Article:
http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=289

The DVD for Ice Age will be released soon.
Get it here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=cgnetworks-20&path=tg/detail/-/B00006CXHU/qid=1035590306/sr=1-1)

Enjoy!

Leo

EdHarriss
10-27-2002, 04:45 AM
Very Nice!

lildragon
10-28-2002, 03:48 AM
Leo man you just have a way with those words, another excellent interview, I dig :D

Can't wait for the DVD

Long live Scrat :xtreme:

salud

tjbeseda
10-28-2002, 04:46 AM
...Sid has a little more intelligence than Scrat.

i cant wait to get the dvd to see the 3d modeling extra features that was my favorite part of the monsters inc release!

Sid rules! :bowdown:

Joril
10-28-2002, 04:49 AM
Cheers for my favorite CG movie!!
:beer: :buttrock:

Crode
10-28-2002, 06:04 AM
has anyone purchased that animation book by Blue Sky? IS it any good and go into the technical side of the characters creation? Anways i just purchased it online from chapters.ca at ~$25 Can on sale so its not too expensive anyways compared to other animation books

lildragon
10-28-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Crode
has anyone purchased that animation book by Blue Sky? IS it any good and go into the technical side of the characters creation?

It's a great buy, you won't be disappointed, I've learnt tons on the process from start to finish and still go back to read it, I carry it in my bag everywhere :)

salud

acidboy
10-28-2002, 10:10 AM
Us ozzies musta got lucky, cause I got the DVD close to 2 weeks ago :)

The behind the scene material is ok, but brushes over most of it fairly quickly. They do show a decent amount on their character sculpture work and 3d scanning, which is great for a change.

The short animation starring scrat is awesome, everyone that sees it bursts into laughter :)

tenjobara
10-28-2002, 12:05 PM
? has anyone purchased that animation book by Blue Sky? IS it any good and go into the technical side of the characters creation?

Crode: where did you purchase it? Do you have the exact title so I can go look for it? Thanks for your help.

SheepFactory
10-28-2002, 12:21 PM
the link for the book is at the end of the 3d festival article.

DrAdamDinosaur
10-28-2002, 12:33 PM
The dvd got released on the 16th of october here. The special features are pretty good, mainly hte stuff in the "under the ice" section. theres featurettes on modelling, rigging, animation, effects, the whole works. I don't think we got the bunny short on our release though. Also, I think the film has some of the best animation around. Well worth a purchase.

Luke Werhli
10-28-2002, 12:46 PM
Itīs good to see an Brazilian talent doing so well in this field.

Itīs an example for me, as Eni Oken and Lucia Machado ( Shrek )

PotatoHead
10-28-2002, 01:44 PM
another kick-ass article on 3dfestival....i should be visiting it more often.....it used to suck - not the info, but the design was confusing - but now that its been redone, i have no more excuses for not going there.....:rolleyes:

dvornik
10-28-2002, 01:58 PM
"so I packed my bags, moved to New York and took on a Masters in Animation"

...right...

jschleifer
10-28-2002, 09:45 PM
Fantastic interview.. and congrats to all at BlueSky! amazing work. :)

When the first scrat short came out a few years ago, one of the guys here created a montage of a bunch of still frames from it.. covered most of one wall.. even looking at those I'd get a chuckle every time I walked by. Especially the takes when scrat bounces up into the air.. GREAT great great takes.

-jason

AJE
10-29-2002, 04:02 AM
Leo,

Great article for a great movie.

One comment, from now on could you ask the interviewers to give a couple of desktop images for download? Maybe something specifically for 3D Festival?

That'd be cool...

AJE

Leonard
10-29-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by AJE
One comment, from now on could you ask the interviewers to give a couple of desktop images for download? Maybe something specifically for 3D Festival?

Hey AJE,

Thanks for the comment. I can ask for future articles, but the problem with this is that clearance to publish the images is granted for the basis of 3D Festival website use only. For example, Blue Sky sends us the high-resolution frames that we resample for web use, but apart from that we can't publish it out or syndicate the content out because we don't own the images.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

L.

Pig Nick
10-29-2002, 10:07 AM
"Just in time for the holiday season, the Ice Age DVD (slated for release on 26 November 2002) contains two discs and features: Commentary by director Chris Wedge and co-director Carlos Saldanha, a new animated short "Scrat's Missing Adventure", a "Behind the Scenes of Ice Age" HBO special and "The Making of Ice Age" documentary. Don't miss it"

Rrright..."two discs"? I bought the dvd last week(in Finland) and there's only 1 disc...but those features are still there...Well, whatever...

Leonard
10-29-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Pig Nick
Rrright..."two discs"? I bought the dvd last week(in Finland) and there's only 1 disc...but those features are still there...Well, whatever...

Amazon.com listing
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=cgnetworks-20&path=tg/detail/-/B00006CXHU/qid=1035590306/sr=1-1

US release may be different.

L.

hog
10-29-2002, 10:24 AM
amazon has the book for $16, is that right?, secondhand!?
well anybody interested should check up anyhoo!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.