PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Innovation

Invid
07-15-2005, 06:02 AM
This is the best keyboard I've ever seen and like the mouse, keyboards finally get some innovation. The keys are individual LCD displays and you can dynamically change it's layout or language and even use desktop icons as key displays. This is very cool and can even be used in the dark.

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

itsallgoode9
07-15-2005, 06:10 AM
been posted twice already lol and I do believe it's just design work a company did and not a real product anyways.

jcbray
07-15-2005, 06:11 AM
While some of those options just sound really cool, I'd be more cautious about buying one. I'm guessing their expensive, especially compared to a normal keyboard, and I can eaily imagive that breaking very very easily....

Invid
07-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Ah I failed to see the other two posts lol. I guess it really is post worthy huh. As for expense and durability, those can be improved and I do hope this makes it into a production phase.

sudswu
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
http://www.mercurylabels.com/new_layouts/ml15tv54dia.jpg
sticky labels :)

sorry ;) i do appreciate the design of it, but if you look at your keyboard enough to pay for that then maybe you would be better spending on a typing class :p

igami
07-15-2005, 09:00 PM
hehe I like the E-mule key hehehe :love:

CoolDuck
07-16-2005, 09:43 PM
I think it is a great idea! If they can make it low cost, durable....
I'd want one!

Kickflipkid687
07-17-2005, 02:54 AM
I really love this idea. I think the keys could stand some abuse. I mean, lcds on portable devices can take a really good beating, and these tiny lcds and behind plastic, so I think its durable. Im not sure on cost, Im guessing around 150. I would still pay that for the key board. I mean common, animatable keys, and a SDk program with it to make your own button commands and pictures.

alanmac
07-17-2005, 09:29 AM
The fastest and best users of programs I've seen are the ones who learn the keyboard commands and activate them whilst still looking at the screen. They know the layout of a keyboard in the same way as a touch typist does, rarely looking at the keyboard as they work.

Sadly I don't fit in this club, and still spend far to long looking at my keys. I believe being able to locate your fingers and find the keys without looking is essential for professional keyboard use and hope one day to be able to do so.

Not sure about the site this keyboard concept is on, could almost be a spoof. If you look at the photographs of the people, one looks like he's about to pick a fight with you, whilst another appears to be wrapped in bandages - what's that all about? Hardly the look to encourage potential clients with.

lots
07-17-2005, 09:56 AM
The idea is neat, for sure. But, I dont look at the keyboard at all anyway, so what's the point? :) I know the keyboard like the back of my hand, I guess thats needed if you're going to be able to type at 120+ wpm :P

sudswu
07-17-2005, 11:59 AM
showoff :)

ThirdEye
07-17-2005, 12:05 PM
how much for one?

Moviecomposer
07-17-2005, 12:05 PM
It says it will cost less than a good mobile phone...whatever that means. The thing is about LCD is that when you touch an LCD screen the picture warps and can maybe damage the screen....so I think having keys like that can't be a good idea? Its not released until 2006 anyway.

lokki
07-18-2005, 04:56 AM
as mentioned above, I'd guess they'd put hard plastic caps over the low-resolution 'display' for each key. I'd also guess that it would be more than $150US, and possibly require an additional power supply and/or wall wart. Possibly they are using the organic electroluminescent screens, which may reduce power requirements...

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 04:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.