PDA

View Full Version : Intel Pentium D Dual Cord CPU's Vs Intel Pentium 4 W/HT Please help to decide..

VisualKing
07-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Hello everyone i really dont know where to post this, I am not technical at all so i thought maybe you guys know about this more than i do.

I want to buy this computer, but I am not sure if my programs will work on it.

There is a chat button where you can click to talk with a representative. They told me that its a new type of computer that is better than the Int Pent 4 W/HT. They told me this type is going to be the future.

Dont know about it, its just that it uses really fast DDR2 memory and comes with the Nvidia Geforce 6200 256MB of ram...

For the price it looks good, but i am not sure if it will support all my 3D and Digital programs...Maya, Max, Silo..etc..

This is prices at $665

Here is the Link : http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/custom/cfgpd.asp?v=d

If anyone can help me to decide..please put your suggestions here or thoughts on this...

If you think i should not buy that pc than let me know what you think about this..

I am not trying to spend a lot of $$ right now, because i can always upgrade memory and stuff...but here is another link which is my 2nd Choice...

This is only $555

here is the Link : http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/custom/p4pcie.asp?v=d

Or if you know a better Site with better prices..please put it here..

VisualKing
07-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Nobody knows anything on this issue???

VisualKing
07-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Come on somebody???

Ckerr812
07-15-2005, 02:30 AM
It's only been about an hour man, give people time :P

Maybe go to sleep, wake up in the morning and check the replies ;)

Anyway go with the dual core processor.

If you want to make sure your getting the right system, buy from http://www.boxxtech.com/

Not cause I work for them or anything, just I have heard nothing but good stuff from them, and I am hoping on winning that cool bike they have at siggraph :P

MadMax
07-15-2005, 02:51 AM
In all honesty you do not want Intel's "so called dual core". It's not a true dual core solution and has more bottle necks than a truckload of beer.

2 processor cores with ZERO integration.

Both cores have to send requests to communicate from the CPU, out to the FSB and then back into the CPU so that each core can communicate with each other.

If you want to go on a budget and get a really nice machine with the potential to upgrade to a real dual core processor then buy an AMD Athlon64 based system. You can get cheap 64 bit now, upgrade to a real dual core CPU when the prices come down.

For example:

Asus A8N-E nForce4 motherboard with PCI-Express slots. 112.00, I've seen them as low as 95.00

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core (NICE overclocker) 146.00

Corsair or OCZ Value ram 1gb. roughly 110.00

What is nice about this setup is it's pretty cheap, but it can use the Intel Killer X2 dual core processors. Those are pretty pricey, but you can just drop it in later.

You get hardware that was designed to be 64 bit, not something that was tacked on as an afterthought.

On the high end, most apps play better with AMD than Intel. AMD is faster at 3D animation and rendering, media encoding and video editing.

VisualKing
07-15-2005, 03:14 AM
In all honesty you do not want Intel's "so called dual core". It's not a true dual core solution and has more bottle necks than a truckload of beer.

2 processor cores with ZERO integration.

Both cores have to send requests to communicate from the CPU, out to the FSB and then back into the CPU so that each core can communicate with each other.

If you want to go on a budget and get a really nice machine with the potential to upgrade to a real dual core processor then buy an AMD Athlon64 based system. You can get cheap 64 bit now, upgrade to a real dual core CPU when the prices come down.

For example:

Asus A8N-E nForce4 motherboard with PCI-Express slots. 112.00, I've seen them as low as 95.00

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core (NICE overclocker) 146.00

Corsair or OCZ Value ram 1gb. roughly 110.00

What is nice about this setup is it's pretty cheap, but it can use the Intel Killer X2 dual core processors. Those are pretty pricey, but you can just drop it in later.

You get hardware that was designed to be 64 bit, not something that was tacked on as an afterthought.

On the high end, most apps play better with AMD than Intel. AMD is faster at 3D animation and rendering, media encoding and video editing.

I thank you for your info you seem to know a lot about these things...Sorry, i know it was 1 hour, but i was standing by at the website with my credit card to see if i should go ahead or not.

Since you mentioned AMD computers, do you have any site that i could go and buy one and than as you said upgrade it later?

Thanks a lot...i am so bad at technical stuff...I just want to buy something that will last me for a while.

Ckerr812
07-15-2005, 03:25 AM
Buying a athlon 64 now, just to upgrade to a AMD dual core in a month or less seems like a waste of money to me personally.

MadMax
07-15-2005, 03:50 AM
Thing is, he is assuming that you know how to build your own system, and know how to swap CPU's...

Are you comfortable in doing these things?

he doesn't need to be.

Monarch will do it for you for 60.00 last I checked.

MadMax
07-15-2005, 03:57 AM
I thank you for your info you seem to know a lot about these things...Sorry, i know it was 1 hour, but i was standing by at the website with my credit card to see if i should go ahead or not.

Since you mentioned AMD computers, do you have any site that i could go and buy one and than as you said upgrade it later?

Thanks a lot...i am so bad at technical stuff...I just want to buy something that will last me for a while.

monarchcomputer.com (http://www.%20monarchcomputer.com) carries almost all major parts, easy to configure a barebones or complete system.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2005, 03:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.