PDA

View Full Version : Flat Screen Monitors?

cgkrusty
07-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Howdy... my apologies if this has been previously discussed... but I need some help.

I'm thinking of purchasing a flat screen monitor for 3D animation, rendering, 2D painting... you know, general 3D art needs BUT. I've heard there may be problems with:

a) ghosting (based on pixel response times of monitors)
b) bits per pixel ratio colour limitations (which could result in banding, lack of significant colour range etc.)
c) cost of a 19" or 21" that will not have the above problems (is the price to high?)
d) other issues....

If ANYONE could weigh in on this I'd love to hear your thoughts...

thanks!

polywrangler
07-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Oldie but still a goodie:

http://www.sgi.com/products/peripherals/displays/f190/

People are gonna knock this one since its res is only 1280X1024, but I love this thing since the moment I plugged it in.
hp, dell, can only hope to one day compare....
As far as ghosting, sure you might see a little in your 60fps game, but if you are using a crt still, the damage to your eyes could cause permanent ghosting. You get used to it and your long term vision will have a better future.

Color is absolutely more vivid on a lcd than your flickering crt, though if you are using something other than an sgi the accuracy may be highly variable

Price, well I doubt many studios care enough about their employee's eyes to justify it, but for the freelancer who works long hours this is imperative and a very worthy tax write off (sec 179 deduction) Also I've never seen a monitor hold value better than an sgi, and damn they're stylish. Look you don't need to get an sgi, but just get an lcd, whatever you do someone else here will post the new fangled version you probably want; your local sgi dealer might have an incredible deal on one of these in a refurbished state. Those 2 ft deep old crts remind me of something from the 70s, no self respecting studio should have a piece of crap like that hoggin the desk and if they do its because they are spending the money on cars, drugs or yachts and not on their company's capital resources, image, and employees health .

Unnamed422
07-15-2005, 08:17 AM
That SGI monitor is the same as a NEC Multisync LCD1860nx I know, cuz I have one.. and it's for sale. Brand new they are still expensive though, I love mine. Although I upgraded to larger, widescreen. I'm gonna try to rid mine for $300.00

alanmac
07-15-2005, 10:39 AM
You should do a search of this forum and you will find all the issues regarding TFT's against CRT has been discussed in length many times.

The main issues are concerning colour fidelity and price, which go hand in hand.

Colour fidelity on a good CRT is still regarded as better than TFT but TFT's are getting better all the time. Depending on your circumstances and the work you do will decide if this is an issue for you.

You have to pay a lot of money to get a good TFT but a very good CRT will cost you a lot less, and beat if for colour accurate reproduction.

I've recently changed and am finding some unwelcome surprises in my colours from screen to print. So whilst my very real physical headaches in using the new screen seem to be less, the problems of colours not veiwing the same as printing create other "headaches".

I'm not blaming TFT screens entirely for this. As with all these things, time needs to be taken and things learnt to get the best from them.

I recently did some work firstly on my work Apple G5 and Cinema 20" TFT, then in my home studio on Window PC with LG Flatron monitor. When I took it back to work next day several colours needed correcting and the Cinema display showed these real differences, which when I checked back on my home set up was only slightly visible.

We are talking the difference between a 210 (Home) and a 545 (Work) screen here though. As soon as I can I'm upgrading my home screen but as the Flatron was my first TFT I didn't want to spend lots of money on seeing if my old screen was the only cause of my headaches and eyestrain.

Once you've done your searches and made your decision, purchased what you want, you'll need to spend time ensuring what you see is what other people will see accurately and the same goes for printing, does the print match your on screen view. Not so important if you do this stuff as a hobby but critical if you are doing your work commercialy.

I might add this was still an issue back in the days of CRT only. There was a lot of crappy monitors about as well as good.

Same goes for TFT's, there is good and bad, try to look at some together to compare colour side by side, detail in the shadow areas. Even monitors in the same price range can vary in colour rendition.

Make a short list from reviews, comments on the discussion forums, such as this and try to see before you buy. Not always possible with people such as Dell for example.

Speaking of which, their 19" and 20" inch top range monitors seem to get good comments.
I've seen the 19" and it does look good. You have to watch you don't pay too much as well with Dell, they are always doing offers, vouchers etc. Don't buy at the wrong time.

Good luck.

Alan

catamount
07-15-2005, 03:44 PM
you can get a dell 2005FPW for as little as $400 in the USA if you have the right vouchers. FP if you want standard resolutions rather than widescreen.

Best LCD i have seen. uses same display as the apple cinemas.

cgkrusty
07-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

This will really help...

:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2005, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.