PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-Real Modeling 2004 Notes

3mm
07-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Jeff Unay has put online his notes from Siggraph 2004 Maya Master Class, you can get the PDF file.

http://www.deathfall.com/images/misc/hyperRealModeJeffUnay-001.jpg

http://www.deathfall.com/images/misc/hyperRealModeJeffUnay-002.jpg

HERE DIRECT LINK TO PDF:
http://www.jeffunay.com/jeffsDataTransfer/hyperRealModelingByJeffUnay.pdf

:)

ThirdEye
07-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Quite a dense mesh ;)

ambient-whisper
07-15-2005, 02:51 AM
i think thats the smoothed result.,, well i hope so anyhow.

pencil-head
07-15-2005, 03:32 AM
I think your right ThirdEye. If you look at page page 23 of the pdf, you can see how dense the mesh is and it still contained tries. Also have a look at the 5 point star areas around the knee and follow the edge loops of the mesh. Their not really consistant of a how a mesh would look after being smoothed.

ThirdEye
07-15-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure i'm right but i think that's not the smoothed mesh. Or, maybe, he adds rough detailing where needed, then he gets rid of the mess just applying one subdivision. I'm fairly sure that's the "low poly" mesh tho.

leigh
07-15-2005, 07:35 AM
We have all these masterclass discs from last year at work. Jeff Unay's stuff is really cool :)

ThirdEye
07-15-2005, 08:05 AM
We have all these masterclass discs from last year at work. Jeff Unay's stuff is really cool :)

I'm not a big fan of the back of the character, i don't think the masses are defined properly, but the rest of it... Omg, nothing to say. :bowdown:

ThomasMahler
07-15-2005, 09:48 AM
That's not the smoothed mesh. As far as I understood, Jeff blocks out the forms really rough, smooths them and continues to work from that point. He also useses a lot of Artisan Sculpting and also the smooth brush, so that he gets this very nice unified mesh in an acceptable amount of time.

ThirdEye
07-15-2005, 10:27 AM
That's not the smoothed mesh. As far as I understood, Jeff blocks out the forms really rough, smooths them and continues to work from that point. He also useses a lot of Artisan Sculpting and also the smooth brush, so that he gets this very nice unified mesh in an acceptable amount of time.

yes that's what i though too, i need to give that a try

StephanD
07-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I use that method and find it very effective.

Couple that with a few well placed edges before smoothing and then just bulk and relax it out.

With tools like zbrush's,modo's sculpt and the upcoming silo tools that's pretty much where we're headed/we're at.

The mesh is pretty dense but I would say the shapes require it to,optimizing would probably introduce "less-square" polygons and if the goal is displacing it,it's better off as it is.

PS:The unsmoothed cage head model in my avatar is about as dense as his,can'T wait to have more processing power though.

Elliotjnewman
07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
If its hyper real as the goal, then I wouldn't model the geo around the muscles like in this mesh. The skin is what goes over the muscles, and the muscles slide under the skin - if you have modeled around these muscles into the skin mesh then you cannot get accurate sliding.

I personally think that more emphasis should be made on the muscle system. Our bodies are shaped the way they are becuase of the muscles, fat, and bones - the skin just "sits" on top of this. This is all based on the assumption that the goal is to have an animated character, so for stills then this does not apply.

If I was to do a hyper-real model I would model the character in a zbrush style way, with a really dense mesh, get the shape I want, then model the underlining muscle system. Once I have this I would "re-topolise" - if thats a word, the dense skin mesh using either silo or cyslice, and make the mesh flow so that it deforms well but not so that it follows every single muscle - thats the muscle sytems job.

Oh, and I would probably end up with a mesh just as dense as the one here...
Starting off with a really dense mesh gives you the option to reduce down the line if that detail is not needed...

DarkTure
07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Jeff isn't a member here? :sad:

ThomasMahler
07-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey Elliot,

The retopologizing way you're describing is pretty much how I'm modeling now. And you should definitely watch the other Hyper Real DVDs, there are two additional DVDs to this one that are about Rigging itself and Facial Rigging and they actually show stuff like sliding skin and pretty extreme deformations utilizing this model.

Having such a "smoothed" mesh seems to work really good if you're going for more advanced stuff like sliding skin, etc.

Elliotjnewman
07-15-2005, 08:27 PM
oh yeah. Well Im all for high res meshes like this model, with todays toolset and the ever increasing speed of computers I think its the way forward. I think if I was to make a similar model to this one I would have a similar res mesh, though have the topology flow a little different...

Thomas - where can I find these DVDs?

ThomasMahler
07-15-2005, 08:38 PM
http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/products-services/learning_tool_details.jsp?itemId=2600018

There you go. A bit pricey, but there's always the eBay alternative.

BurrowingDuck
07-16-2005, 04:59 AM
I wonder how many people are actually willing to buy the thing at that price... I'd consider it if only it was cheaper! Incredible model. I know how it's done but still I can't stop myself from wanting to see the actual process

ThomasMahler
07-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Well, Jeff doesn't show the whole process step by step, nevertheless. It's more of a "Guys, look, that's a workflow that we've been working on and it works for our pipeline - Here are some principles on how I'm doing it, so there you go!". And actually, most of the stuff is pretty basic modeling. No tools other than the MJs are used, the only "exceptional" tool he uses is the Artisan Brush, which you may not have in other modeling packages.

If you already read the PDF, then I wouldn't really invest into the DVD anymore. And if you know some other Alias DVDs, then I'm sure that you pretty much know what you'll get.

ThirdEye
07-16-2005, 08:57 AM
No tools other than the MJs are used, the only "exceptional" tool he uses is the Artisan Brush, which you may not have in other modeling packages.

it's quite common, in CINEMA 4D it's called the Brush tool, i know in Max there's something similar, in Modo you can create it in a couple steps, i think XSI doesn't have it yet.

MSB
07-16-2005, 11:08 AM

do you have anything online ? or something you can share it...?

gardogg
07-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Does the mj poly tool plugin work for maya 6.5 (I just upgraded from 5)? Also, does anyone have a link off hand to download that plugin? I love how you can use it to select loops and create loops. Its ingenious and such a big timesaver.

StephanD
07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
it's quite common, in CINEMA 4D it's called the Brush tool, i know in Max there's something similar, in Modo you can create it in a couple steps, i think XSI doesn't have it yet.

Just to clarify.

Modo does have a Sculpt tool...

It is for a 'Smooth Brush' that it's required to mix an Airbrush Falloff with the smooth tool.

Phrenzy84
07-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Jeff isn't a member here? :sad:

yes, he is, his user name is Jeff Unay. Wonder how he came up with that hehe.

DarkTure
07-20-2005, 01:43 PM
yes, he is, his user name is Jeff Unay. Wonder how he came up with that hehe.

I wonder how I could have missed that :P

GlenGramling
07-27-2005, 07:59 AM
i bought this set and it was worth every penny( of my financial aid from school) hey better than a $100 book. my modeling and rigging skills have improved significantly. :thumbsup:

Jadan
07-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Does the mj poly tool plugin work for maya 6.5 (I just upgraded from 5)? Also, does anyone have a link off hand to download that plugin? I love how you can use it to select loops and create loops. Its ingenious and such a big timesaver.

you can get it here: http://www.maya3d.dk/Scripts/MJPolyTools/

Also, check out this link for the OpenSource Maya Toolbox (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=206277), it is supposed to be the big brother of MJPoly tools; more up to date.

I use MJPoly Tools on 6.5 and I have no problems with it, it also works on 6. Worth the time to get, helps me on a daily basis.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 01:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.