PDA

View Full Version : Distant Objects

Leonardo Vega
07-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Two questions, first when starting a loose, sketchy painting, is it a good idea to start with dark silohuettes (I know I killed the spelling lol) of the objects and then draw in the light and color?

Second, a good technique in getting things to appear far away is to fade them out a bit. Should this be done after the painting is done and with a low opacity brush pick the background color and start going over the distant object or should you just paint the object with faded colors from the get go?

Thanks! I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I want to buy a book, but I'm still undecided between Painter IX (which is cheaper) or Photoshop.

- Leo

KOryH
07-14-2005, 07:03 PM
ok firt things first. Get rid of the white on the canvas. Pick a color that may be in the distance or what ever, just get rid of the white.

as far as atmoshperic perspective goes. the simple way would be to add a bit of the sky color to the distant objects. or a slight haze. you could also decrease the detail and soften edges. It really depends on the type of lighting or time of day. On some days the distance can be quite vivid. Just decide what kind of light you want to paint.
Photo reference is always good,as well as good ole observation. just look around and try and figure out what you are seeing.

I cant post any pictures from work, but maybe when I get home I'll post a quick landscape to demonstrate some of these ideas.

nebezial
07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
i usualy drop down a gradient and work on it

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-14-2005, 08:05 PM
something i've learned. make distant objects much less detailed than close ones. because of the air density (which may be higher or lower) we cannot perceive details far from us. well, that's kind a logical, isn't it. it will make your image more natural. if i recall well, this was from da Vinci's Trattato della Pitura (heh, i surely didn't spell this one good). interesting book btw

jmBoekestein
07-18-2005, 03:30 AM
yeah, as the light coming of the object passes through the atmosphere/air it's wavelength gets altered more and siperses more over distance, this causes a slight blur and loos of colour contrast and general contrast and a lot of bleeding. And especially desaturation towards the atmospheres colour.

edit: and with the bleed happening this colour could be different from the atmosphere's colour in case the sun is setting for instance, then that colour changes towards the suns colour etc.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 03:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.