PDA

View Full Version : which is comparatively better a qudro 3400 or 7800

ashcat
07-14-2005, 01:03 PM
hi which would u think would perform better a qudro 3400 or a 7800 for 3d

also will a 7800 match or come close to qudro 4400 tell me ur view

banzato
07-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey, why don't you compare gf 7800 with quadro 1400? They have the same price.

I want to buy a top card. Why buy 3400 if the 7800 have a lot of news? 3400 is for professionals, but im a professional and i will not expend this money to have a card that a lot of peoples say that is not so good. 7800 is awsome, its the future card, i can't imagine what is 2 7800 working together via sli, 6.800 is just a children when compared to 7800.

ashcat
07-14-2005, 08:23 PM
the reason i asked this questionis because i need to buy a rig for cg purpose 7800 fits my budget just right i realy cant afford to go for a qudro i am more of a 2d guy just entering into 3d . a lot of people tell me that 7800 is a gaming card and i will have problems while redring meaning it will take more time so i should go for qudro but i just not sure as i mew in 3d field regarding this and i fell a qudro is just not worth burning a hole in pocket for so i thinking to go for 7800 as i have heard its a asweom card but i just dont know its performance with 3d aplication so any one aroun here knows regarding this please give ur view

enygma
07-14-2005, 08:31 PM
The 3400, although much faster than the 7800 GTX in SPEC benchmarks, is only marginally faster in Maya (using Maya as a reference because that is what I use). However, if you plan on using hardware rendering, such as Gelato or Mayas hardware renderer, don't expect good results on the 7800. I don't think Gelato would run on the 7800, but Mayas hardware renderer will, and the results will be piss poor.

ashcat
07-14-2005, 08:39 PM
dont mind i am still new i have to use 3d software like maya and the main reason i buying this rig is to learn 3d so i dont know about this software so i dont uderstand whats this hardware rendiring , gleato how is it differnt from normal rendering so if u could please explain this in short . does this mean i wont be able to render anthing properly in maya using this card please explain i am so confused i dont want to end up buying some thing which doest suit my purpose

enygma
07-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Software rendering is rendering bound to the CPU.

Hardware rendering is rendering that uses the GPU pipeline on your video card to accelerate rendering capabilities.

In Maya, you would mostly be using the software renderers like Mayas native renderer or Mental Ray, but you do have the option of using hardware renderers like Mayas hardware renderer for doing quick previews of things in the scene. It won't be as good as the results of Mayas software renderer in some cases, but will work to get high quality and fast images out. By high quality, I mean much better than Mayas playblast will get them to you.

Gelato is a standalone renderer that plugs into Maya. It is a high quality renderer designed to run specifically on the GPU. This renderer will only work on Quadro graphics cards. This renderer would be a separate area of study alone because in order to get optimal results with it, you will still need ot be able to write shaders for it.

Vertizor
07-14-2005, 09:23 PM
7800 is awsome, its the future card, i can't imagine what is 2 7800 working together via sli
If you're playing a computer game, sure, it'll be great. But for 3d DCC apps, SLI is useless. It's prolly only good for multi monitor but that's about it. In SLI, only 1 video card is processing geometry. We've been saying this over and over and people still don't understand.

ambient-whisper
07-15-2005, 04:37 AM
if you are learning then the 7800 is a bit much for something that you might end up not even liking in the long run. ( itll play games very well though ;), but most pc games arent very good!. theyre all the same. )

ashcat
07-15-2005, 08:03 AM
so guys now tell me which card should i buy since i want to learn 3d it will take a few months to programs like max and maya and a quiet afew to make some decent art since i am already in to 2d a lot of concepts of 2d will certainly help me in 3d after that i ave to start looking for a job . some were in the range of 600$ because using more money then that is quiet out of my reach right now once i become good then buying a proffesional card i think is ok but any ways feel free to give ur opnion i will consider it

loop29
07-15-2005, 12:14 PM
If you´re just emntering the 3D arena you should ask yourself if the 7800 GTX will be used as a gaming card too. If not I think you will never use the power of this graphics card, then it would be better to go for a low to mid end quadro if you gonna focus more on 3D. Are you on AGP or PCI-E? If you have AGP you can go for a 6800 card and use Rivatuner application to transform it into a Quadro FX 4000 through software, you can go back to default 6800 drivers within just 2 reboots, so you have best of both worlds. As a beginner you will barely use Gelato I guess and as far as I know the hardware renderer in Maya doesn´t do any different between a Geforce or Quadro.

regards

ashcat
07-15-2005, 05:36 PM
YES i have gone through the forum and it i read regarding soft modding a 6800 agp unfortunatly i going for pci express as thats the one which are easily avilable at my place also i am a gamer i am very fasinated by game art and one day would love to work in this field a qudro mid range qudro like 3400 is bit too much invetment for me right now as i need to save incase i want to some schooling in this field . so right now i will go with a7800 as i think it will suit both my purpose ones i make my self familiar with this field then i will go for a qudro after which i can give my card to my brother or i can sell it to some one around my place it will be far easier to sell a 7800 then aqudro because hardly around at my palce any body is in 3d any ways i have few days before i decide which card to buy

Lorecanth
07-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Havn't seen anyone mentioning particle work with the maya hardware renderer... It is considerably faster at work on my 3400 than at home on my 6800 GT.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2005, 12:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.