PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a dinosaur skeleton

RPG2006
07-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Just trying to plan ahead here. I need to model a t-rex skeleton. It's going to be used in a number of still shots, including stages of fossilization.

My question is, what is the best way to go about rigging it? I'm guessing for the fossilization shots, I'm going to need a pretty flexible rig?

Would it be an idea to have the modeled bones all in separate layers, and then use something like ikbooster. Or would the best approach, be to have the model in one layer, and use weightmaps in conjunction with bones(LW bones that is).

It doesn't need to be animated, so foot lock isn't an issue. If any ones got any ideas they can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

RPG:)

T4D
07-15-2005, 11:13 AM
if it doesn't need to be animated why uses bones at all ?

I would uses endomorphs in modeler for you main layer
and place the bone into position in layer 2

if you were to animate such a thing take a DEEP breath this going to take awhile
Its very big job !!

ok get reference ALOT of Reference You don't see many t-rex running around nowaday so your going to have to dream alittle with reference pic to help you

I would pose you t-rex in a standard t-rex pose and model the bones first in layer 2
get everything looking right as per you reference pic Then draw your skelegon in layer 3 following the bones you modeled as positions for the skelegon

remember the skelegon joint should in the middle of the bone joint not hte middle of the bone.

they will be alot more bones in this rig then a normal t-rex rig due you using you needing the correct bones ( normally we riggers miss afew casue we're lazy and it works :D )

Now there 2 ways you can go from here
give each bone it own layer and in layout parent each bone to the correct Skelegon/bone in LW
OR give each bone it own weight maps and assign them to bones in layout

once in layer get the skelegon converted to bones get you modeled bones correctly moving with you skelegon bones then unhide your skin mesh and start adding weight maps where needed

this an an exteme short version of the method
but I have done it afew times with poser models and it works fine

hope you all the best :thumbsup:

RPG2006
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks alot T4D,

I do pose some of my dinos in modeler with endomorphs. That might be the easiest way to go.

That said I am tempted to give the weightmap and bone option ago. Certainly something to think about.

Nice one:thumbsup:

RPG

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.