PDA

View Full Version : 3dStudioMax v.6_memory upgrade and rendering speed

chodney
07-13-2005, 11:55 PM
I recently upgraded the following system from 512 MB RAM. I have read about increasing the virtual memory paging file......any other suggestions for how to optimize how 3dStudio Max uses the additional Ram?

Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
60GB hardrived
Nvidia 128mb graphic card
1.536 GB Ram all at 533 mhz speed
WinXP

Additionally, I understand (or think I do) that RAM speeds up the final solution of the render. I primarily use Mental Ray, so does this speed up the FG solution, and bucket rendering? Or does it only speed up the bucket rendering? Seeing work on here, my computer now should be more than enough for what I do. Where does the processor come into play?

lots
07-14-2005, 04:57 AM
It wont speed things up exactly. Think about it this way. If you've got a big big scene that eats up all of your memory, then some work must be stored on the page file (on the hard drive). Sine the hard drive is order of magnitudes slower than RAM, there will be a big performance hit in this situation. Adding more ram, prevents this situation from occuring as often. Meaning your scenes can be larger or more detailed.

So, if you have big scenes with lots of detail, more ram will definately help you. It wont be faster, but it wont get a performance hit when you need to access data that is not in ram. You will also have a smaller chance of having to send off to the hard drive.

Also, in Windows XP, the easiest thing would be to let windows manage the page file size. The most drastic thing you could do would be to put the page file on a separate disk from the windows installation (perferably some sort of scratch disk, maybe even a small RAID 0 array)

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 04:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.