PDA

View Full Version : Hey quick question

lll
07-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Hey people,

I have a quick question sketches before being 3D modeled. What are the best views to use as image planes?

Example1 Front view + side view + back view

Example2 Front view + back View

Example3 back and front 3/4 view

Also can ex3 be modeled?

This is a 3/4ths view

rustbucket
07-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Its best to have as much reference as possible when modelling something like this. It's pretty standard to set up image planes in the front, side, and top (optional for a character) view ports. You also want to make sure the orthagraphic drawings you are using as reference match each other in scale, or you will be pushing and pulling vertices forever. You dont have to follow them exactly, accentuate when you feel you need to, but image planes are always helpfull in determining proportion, scale, stance, etc.

Hope that helps.

lll
07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey ppl,

I need to know if I could use the 3/4 view to actually make a 3d Model.
Is it possible?

gardogg
07-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey ppl,

I need to know if I could use the 3/4 view to actually make a 3d Model.
Is it possible?

I'd say you absolutely can. The whole point of the image plane is to help the 3d modeler to get a result close to the concept sketch. In the end, the modeler can make the model even without image planes. So far, when I model, I don't use image planes at all. I just look at a reference picture or drawing to the side and go from there. Image planes seem in 3d like tracing is in 2d. That's my take - been modeling for 1 year so I'm not the authority tho ;)

LouisCho
07-18-2005, 03:13 PM
You can, in the same way that you can do it without any reference.

You will must model it in considerating the proportions and not the distances. In the 3/4 view the distances are 'not true'. But proportion are the sames. I remember this tutorial (The Desert Eagle Handgun Tutorial (http://www.3d-palace.com/video.php?vid=60)
), you can find it here http://www.3d-palace.com/videos_free.php?pid=1

I think that in the video he model the gun with a perspectiive reference.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 03:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.