PDA

View Full Version : Exploring my environment in realtime

beeglebug
07-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi guys, i'm currently working on an environment for my portfolio, and i've realised that it would be invaluable to be able to walk around inside it and see things from a first person perspective to help me get to grips with scale and layout.

Does anyone here have any experience with getting meshes out of Max and into some sort of engine or viewer? I've never tried it before, so I dont know how hard it is, or what the best software for the job is, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Prs-Phil
07-13-2005, 07:36 PM
if you have max 7 there is a kinda "ego perspective" - walking mode. You can find it at the bottom right, looks like to shoemarks on the floor beside each other. Make a cool walkthrough and set everything up that it looks like it would be rendered in a game if that is what you are aiming for, if not go beserk with GI etc. etc. but I would go for a more gamelike feel, comes across more honest than abusing GI and all the fancy renderoptions.

If you really want it in an engine you will have to find one that suits you best. That is quite hard esspecially because the good ones cost alot and the cheap or free ones don't have alot of docu. I would make a wild suggestion and say go for the UT 04 engine (if you have ut)

on http://www.3dbuzz.com you can find a bunch of tuts that can help you out with that engine allthough that will take its time.

Good luck and posts some shots :)

simps
07-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Ya, Unreal is probably your best bet. It's pretty simple to get a hold of and get the hang of.
You can check out the 3D buzz tuts and there is also a book call Mastering Unreal Technology that can help you out.

beeglebug
07-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Sounds cool, but I don't really want to spend to much time getting this set up, i;'d rather spend the time on the actual artwork. I was just kinda hoping there was some way I could export the scene from Max, and import into an engine and have a walk round :p Guess it's not gonna be that easy!

Saramago
07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
This is really not that daunting or time consuming with unreal. You would only need to do the basic buzz tutorial to export your model, get some lights in and be walking around. Good Luck.

Ghostscape
07-14-2005, 06:45 PM
There's Quest3d, it costs money, though.

toebee_1
07-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I would go with unreal. It is easy to learn the basics, and if you are going into games, its always a good thing to have at least some knowledge of an editor like unreal, the the extra work you put into it wouldnt be a bad thing. For something like what you want to do it would really be quite simple, as you are not tryign to actually build a level, just a walk through of your work, and i think you could learn how to do that in less than a day if you sit down with a couple of the 3dbuzz tuts.

rob-beddall
07-15-2005, 04:08 PM
hey!!
yeah, go with unreal.
it's simple.
but the walkthrough thingy in max should be some help also.
never used it myself but at least give it a try.

cheers!!

kaylon
07-15-2005, 07:02 PM
In Unreal all ya need to know is how to make a box, place a light, a player start and import a static Mesh ... should take you 30 mins max to work that out tutorials. Unreal has possibly the largest tutorial support of any engine. And it's very user friendly.

Really is very easy. Go for it...it will open a new world to you..a scary but fun world.

Kay.

tomorrow
07-15-2005, 09:15 PM
I'd also say go for the Unreal engine. Took me about a day to get my first environment setup and loading into it a while back, thanks to 3dbuzz. It doesn't take long to make it fully playable either...that always makes for some additional fun and pride.

It will also give you a good feel about playable (logically and memory wise) your enviroment will be.

There's also the Hammer editor from HL2, which I hear is good, but I have never personally worked with.

Mastahful
07-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah, Unreal is probably the best for you. A word of caution though...Unreal has issues with lighting static meshes, so you need to make sure your meshes are nice and clean. It also has some gamma issues especially when you use bright textures.....

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 03:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.