PDA

View Full Version : Das Vampire!

WHW
07-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Started this one a while ago and I've been nudging the verts on and off during lunch - if only I can find the energy to continue this at home! :)

Currently sitting at 7492 tri's and loads of details to add yet!

Plan is to take him up to 10,000 tris and use it as a projection for normal maps - it'll be the first time I play with normal map generation, so I'm hoping for a reasonable learning curve.
I've added some smoothed versions to the bottom left of the image to give an idea of the standard I'm aiming for.

Might dust off the Wacom and start on a pasty face texture to give him some life. Of course, the final touch will be the rig/pose but I can see that being a while away :-/

MK2
07-13-2005, 08:39 PM
looking good so far... add the details ASAP and texture it!

in german you pronounce it "Der Vampir".

In RtCW they say "Das Ubersoldat" but it should be "Der Übersoldat" (if you dont have "ü" on your Keyboard you can write "ue". Uebersoldat.

Der, Die, Das is a very complicated rule...
to simplify it you can use:
"Der" for everything that is male: "Der Mann", "Der Baum", "Der Soldat" (man, tree, soldier).

"Die" is for female or plenty: "Die Frau", "Die Bäume", "Die Soldatin" (woman, trees, female-soldier).

"Das" is for kids and things that dont have a gender. "Das Kind", "Das Waldstück", "Das Soldatenkind" (kid, forestpart, kid of a soldier or soldier-kid)

Better forget it :) its way to complicated... damn, if i think about it, it is possible that they just randomzied der, die, das.

johnwoo
08-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Nice work there WHW..."Plan is to take him up to 10,000 tris and use it as a projection for normal maps"...I would take this character into ZB and generate the normal maps from there tbh, but do what you think is best...but once you work in ZB you won't look back....personally I frickin love it...but get those textures on there, btw what do you have planned for the clothing, any designs already done in this regard?...still don't understand how I missed this thread tho'...will definitely be keeping an eye out for updates...keep up the solid progress man...:thumbsup:

p.s. any chance of posting up wires of the whole character...cheers...

Gaboon
08-19-2005, 02:43 AM
The geometry looks good so far. My only crit, and its really more of a personal opinion, is that if you are going to do a vampire, do a VAMPIRE. Make it stand out. I'm talking more about his outfit. You might be going for something more subtle, but I think you could make his clothes much more interesting. Either from another time period, or a very wicked version of a modern day suit. The way it is now seems very boring. It just looks like you modeled a game extra and then tweeked a few things on his face. Again, if you wanted a vampire that would blend in, if that is the character, than this totally works. But I would really push the design to stand out on this one.

L3p3r™
08-19-2005, 04:34 AM
i agree with gaboon, watch interview with the vampire or bramstrokers dracula, gets some ideas from there, good work so far

WHW
08-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Geez! Has it really been that long since I updated?! Heh, I must be close to fitting the bill of lazyass ;)

Thanks for the replies guys:

@MK2
I recall many many years ago my school attempted to teach me German, but I got lost very quickly. All those objects with their own genders! Yeesh... Chinese is hard enough!

@JohnWoo
Hey mate. The idea of taking him into ZBrush is very tempting. So it's easy, huh? Well, I'll see about seperating the head off at some point and see how far I can take it. My only concern would be the jacket as it's seperate from the main mesh and the whole model in ZB will definitely be a challenge. And as requested, your wires, Sir.

@Gaboon and L3p3r™
Thanks for the observations. It's worth noting that there are many classes of vampire and I'm heading towards the Ventrue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventrue) so his outfit does lend to that profile. If you take a look at the vampires in Blade you'll see they do look like your every day Joe, until they strike. Hence my statement about the blends/morphs and the rig/pose (stalking? hunched ready to pounce?) will show more of the vampire side of his character. Plus a smear of blood here and there. Even good old Christopher Lee (surely the best Dracula ever) looked like a normal gent until he bared his fangs. However, I like to take on board all crits, so I will endevaur to add some design to his outfit befitting a mover'n'shaker of the underworld (though probably not as OTT as Bill Nighy's character from Underworld).

http://img31.imagevenue.com/loc188/th_670_vamp04k2.jpg (http://img31.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc188&image=670_vamp04k2.jpg)

johnwoo
08-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Woah!!...that's a fantastic update matey!...his eyes rock! although they are quite expensive....and the hair is looking loads better aswell...but be careful about how you place the alpha asthe planes are quite visible..try and minimise this as much you can, really nice edge loops aswell...looking forward to seeing more...keep up the progress man...

kaisasose
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
The vamp is looking good, apart from some smoothing issues which I'm sure you're looking into on his nose and ears. Keep it up dude!! :thumbsup:

Jason-Lavoie
08-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey John Woo, his style and your style are very similiar in my eyes... which is great, cause this vamp is awsome.

ArchangelTalon
08-25-2005, 05:14 PM
He's looking great.

Love the mesh flow on the face and the texture (especially those eyes).

Can't wait to see what you do with his suit :)

WHW
08-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Wooo! Thanks everyone for the kind words. So, it's acceptable to leave long periods between each update? *kidding!*

@Johnwoo
Hehe... I cheated a bit by tesselating the eyes to catch the light so I'll have to look into a lower poly solution to achieve the same result. As for the alphas, I jsut threw them on once the eyes went in to see how it all tied together. Judging by the replies I guess I'm going in the right direction.:bounce:

@kaisasose
Hey! Yep, I've dealt with those areas and they're working much better. Not worth posting such a minor update though.

@Jason-Lavoie
Haha! Dude, what are you suggesting? We are not the same person and I'm guessing we've not studied at the same school! :) And thankyou for an "awesome". Made my day that (oh I'm easily pleased :) )

@ArchangelTalon
Yeah, the eyes! The EYES! Let them haunt you, now!

I've added a smear of blood to his mouth/chin for that post-kill look, so the next undertaking will be gold embroidery on the waistcoat (and possibly a dandy waistcoat chain) and then onto the hands with blood under the nails. You'll like those! Once they're out of the way I'll look more into the design of the suit and tie them all together - it's a haphazard way of working, but it's also a lot of fun :P

jfalconer
12-23-2005, 10:46 AM
I like it, and thats saying a lot because my idea of a vampire looks more like the Anne Rice ones.

Keiyentai
12-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Very nice model. Looks almost like a vampiric version of G-Man from HL2 hehe. Keep up the great work.

mindrot
12-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Looks great. Like the eyes.

redninja
12-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Started this one a while ago and I've been nudging the verts on and off during lunch - if only I can find the energy to continue this at home! :)

Currently sitting at 7492 tri's and loads of details to add yet!

Plan is to take him up to 10,000 tris and use it as a projection for normal maps - it'll be the first time I play with normal map generation, so I'm hoping for a reasonable learning curve.
I've added some smoothed versions to the bottom left of the image to give an idea of the standard I'm aiming for.

Might dust off the Wacom and start on a pasty face texture to give him some life. Of course, the final touch will be the rig/pose but I can see that being a while away :-/

Guessing it should be completed by now. Going to post some renders for us viewers.

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2006, 10:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.