PDA

View Full Version : Finished Game Art section

johnwoo
07-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Would be most beneficial for a multitude of reasons to have one...would be much appreciated if anything positive could come of this...

Kind Regards.

RO
07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
I vote for it and sign :) Please I implore the admins please do not close this one since the last one has been closed.

Cheers,

Rogelio Olguin

Edit: ALso here is the link on our game art wip section talking about this http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=257634&page=1&pp=15 It is already up to 7 pages and growing fast.

AdamAtomic
07-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I vote and sign as well. I believe that the unique challenges presented by game art make it different enough from animation and traditional 3D modeling that it would be a boon to both the community at large and especially the existing game art community to have a Finished Works forum dedicated specifically to game art resources.

This forum would not have to be the same, special format of the other final submission areas, if those are too much work. A regular format forum would be just fine! Also it does not have to happen immediately, we are all reasonable people and we know that CGTalk is already crowded and the admins are very busy as it is. We would just like to have someplace visible to post the finished work that we are proud of sometime soon!

baaah888
07-13-2005, 04:51 PM
agreed, got my support.

eMPeck
07-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Agreed. I sign too.

fasth
07-13-2005, 05:15 PM
a Finished Game Art section is a great idea!
I'm up for whatever support I can give.

Bazooka Tooth
07-13-2005, 05:41 PM
I sign too

bcairns
07-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Definitely would be a good addition to CG Talk. It would be nice to have it like the other finished gallery sections though. I like the thumbnail view you get when browsing the forum looking for a thread. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

kaisasose
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
"Thumbprint" :thumbsup:

xLonewolfx
07-13-2005, 06:02 PM
we should have got one long time ago =\

Dargon
07-13-2005, 06:23 PM
My vote too.

In my opinion, game art is the most interesting field right now for 3D. Full res stuff has become really stagnant, whereas game art is moving forward in leaps and bounds.

skrubbles
07-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Got my vote too!

Honestly the gameart WIP section is the only reason I come to cgtalk. Having a Finished gallery (even just be a normal forum... no special coding like the other finished galleries) would be very much appreciated and useful. Game art is important and very different than what's in the 3d stills gallery and often doesn't get the recognition it deserves because people don't understand it... even people in the finished 3d stills section don't think our gameart belongs there and really fantastic front page game models get 1 or 2 star ratings and are forgotten about by the ignorant.

It'd be fantastic if a mod who actually did game art could respond to this thread... atleast acknowledge that game art is different and posts of gameart in the 3d stills gallery can't survive and in comparison will probably not receive cgtalk awards. I mean, seriously why don't people like S-S have an award? and why does his thread (http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=257997) in the finished gallery only have 3 stars?! because people pass it by... only people that responded were game artists who hang out in the the gameart WIP section.

Its just a shame that the gameart WIP forum is the only WIP/Critique forum that doesn't have a finished gallery to display how our work payed off.

Another thing that I mentioned in the other thread about this topic is that a finished gameart forum would be ideal for employers to lurk around and find potential employees. This would be fantastic for all of us and encourage us the work even harder. I'm sure art directors don't have all the time in the world to weed through all the WIP threads... this would make their lives a lil less hectic too I imagine.

anyway... enough rambling from me... for now

TimAppleby
07-13-2005, 07:17 PM
I agree :)

aesir
07-13-2005, 07:43 PM
agreed. game art is way too underrated on cgtalk. Which is why I usually post my game art elsewhere.

Pynion
07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
It's not the same kind of 3D art as a limitless poly count, shaders and lighting, compleatly different. Another finished section is NEEDED.

LordDubu
07-13-2005, 08:05 PM
here sign I.

Confracto
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
it's got my vote!

frameless
07-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Finished Game Art Gallery ?: YES!!

Hatred
07-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Great moderators of CGtalk please reconsider our humble request

ajsmac
07-13-2005, 09:36 PM
You have my vote.

superhooman
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
My vote too.

In my opinion, game art is the most interesting field right now for 3D. Full res stuff has become really stagnant, whereas game art is moving forward in leaps and bounds.

What a great way to endear yourself to the moderators - by insulting the type of work that most of them do :rolleyes:

I do not like the idea of splitting up the finished art forums any more. But having category tags for each thread could be a good solution, so users can filter or search by the type of work that they like to look at.

TonyEdwards
07-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Got my vote too!

Honestly the gameart WIP section is the only reason I come to cgtalk. Having a Finished gallery (even just be a normal forum... no special coding like the other finished galleries) would be very much appreciated and useful. Game art is important and very different than what's in the 3d stills gallery and often doesn't get the recognition it deserves because people don't understand it... even people in the finished 3d stills section don't think our gameart belongs there and really fantastic front page game models get 1 or 2 star ratings and are forgotten about by the ignorant.

It'd be fantastic if a mod who actually did game art could respond to this thread... atleast acknowledge that game art is different and posts of gameart in the 3d stills gallery can't survive and in comparison will probably not receive cgtalk awards. I mean, seriously why don't people like S-S have an award? and why does his thread (http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=257997) in the finished gallery only have 3 stars?! because people pass it by... only people that responded were game artists who hang out in the the gameart WIP section.

Its just a shame that the gameart WIP forum is the only WIP/Critique forum that doesn't have a finished gallery to display how our work payed off.

Another thing that I mentioned in the other thread about this topic is that a finished gameart forum would be ideal for employers to lurk around and find potential employees. This would be fantastic for all of us and encourage us the work even harder. I'm sure art directors don't have all the time in the world to weed through all the WIP threads... this would make their lives a lil less hectic too I imagine.

anyway... enough rambling from me... for now

Well put skrubbles. I really appreciate your mentioning the potential impact the additional forum could have to employers.

I would like to add my aggreement to adding a Finished Game Art section. Realtime or game art requires a completely different mindset than creating art for other industries and not everyone can appreciate the intricacies of creating assets or art for the gaming industry.

I'd like to admit this personally, as I've gone through the Game Art section in the past and thought to myself I can create better artwork than that with ease. In attempting to create models specifically for games myself, I'm able to appreciate the skill set it takes a lot more.

Thanks,

Swizzle
07-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I do not like the idea of splitting up the finished art forums any more. But having category tags for each thread could be a good solution, so users can filter or search by the type of work that they like to look at.That's the best idea I've heard so far. It would unfortunately most likely require special coding as well as large modifications to the forum structure. Hrm. :shrug:

While I am in favor of a finished game art forum, I'm not sure if we're going about getting it the right way. The fact that no mods have responded to this thread or the one in the WIP game art forum makes it seem as if they're either discussing it among themselves or they're very annoyed at the whole thing. With the tone of Leigh's posts in the General Discussion thread it would seem that this has either been discussed before or they really don't want to add anything else at the moment because there are already over 50 different main forums just on the front page. That's not even counting the sub-forums!

As I said, I am definitely in favor of a finished game art section. I'm not in favor of people getting over-zealous or crazy about it, though. Give it time; the powers that be have a lot of stuff on their collective plate and it's easily seen just from taking a cursory glance at the front page, maybe they want to clean things up a bit before they go and add another hassle for them (and service for us!).

Leonard
07-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi guys,

Leigh's just pointed me to this thread...

Just letting you all know that a huge site overhaul is currently in the works and the update to the gallery will include categorisation for each image. A "Game Art" category is definitely something that we will look into.

For now, however, we're hesitant to put in anything that will split the gallery further. We have a huge task ahead of us and will need to categorise each of the backlog of images already in the gallery, in addition to all the developments going on for individual artist portfolios, and more.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! We'll definitely keep you posted and do our best to get more gaming artwork onto the site.

Best,

Leonard

RO
07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks Leonard :)

skrubbles
07-14-2005, 05:57 AM
Thank you Leonard. Sounds like a lot of work for the backlogging, but we don't mind waiting :) Just happy you guys are thinking about us and are gonna implement something(s) for game art.

THANK YOU! :D

johnwoo
07-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Those are the good words that were needed..much appreciated Leonard for the heads up on this :thumbsup:...

Cheers...

rob-beddall
07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
hey!!

just showing my support.
everything has already been said that needs to be said so.....

thankyou

cheers!

AdamAtomic
07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Leonard - Thank you for the extra information and feedback, I know you guys are all busy and it is really cool that you are willing to take the time to pay attention to suggestions like these. It just goes to show what a great community CGTalk is!

TiZeta
07-14-2005, 09:37 PM
That's very good! Thank you.
We need it.

Supervlieg
07-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Cool! Go Leonard, go!

And btw: Signed + Vote :D

popawheelie
07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
/sign

I hope this comes into play.

pop

vrapp
08-22-2005, 09:56 AM
It's needed and it would be a great addition to cgtalk.com... you've got my vote.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2005, 09:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.