PDA

View Full Version : At last I decide on the specs, any thoughts?

TailsNZ
07-13-2005, 05:02 PM
My new computer which I'll put together in early August has taken a long time, much reading and much wonderful advice from forum members to decide upon, but at last I've got all the parts listed. Because of the price I might buy the 2nd LCD, 2nd Video Card and 2nd GB of Ram in a month or two, and a few things have already been bought, but generally this is what it will look like...

Any thoughts / ideas before going shopping?

Thanks again for everyones help too!!!

---

DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard
2 GB (2x1gb) OCZ EL DDR PC-3200/400MHz Titanium Edition Dual Channel (2-3-2-5)
Athlon 64 X2 4400 L2 cache 1MB + 1MB (perhaps overclocked from 2.2ghz to 2.7ghz)
Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower Cooler, Copper

74gb Western Digital Raptor WD740 SATA (10,000 RPM)
300gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA

2 x Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD (1680 x 1050)
GigaByte GeForce 6800 GT GV-NX68T256D-B Video Card 256mb
GigaByte nVIDIA GeForce PCX 6600 GT Video Card 128mb

Antec P180 Case
Seasonic S12 600W PSU
BenQ DW1640 (16X +/- R, DVDROM & 8X +R DL, +RW & 6X -RW, & 4X -R DL & 48X CDR, CDROM & 32X CDRW)

Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable Modem
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX-Certified 200-Watt Speaker System
Shure E5c In-Ear Earphones
Microsoft Black RF Wireless Keyboard (Natural edition)
Logitech MX1000 Laser Wireless
Lexar Firewire Compact Flash Reader RW019
StarTech.com Firewire PCI Card - 2 Ports 1394B 800 Mbps - 1 Port 1394A 400 Mbps

qwatkins
07-13-2005, 07:08 PM
You have an SLI mobo but the graphics cards are not identical, do you plan on taking advantage of the SLI? If so I believe that you need two identical vid cards, its at least worth a double check.

Also, what will be your main usage with this setup? 3D, 2D, Games?

MadMax
07-13-2005, 07:48 PM
what are you paying for those dell monitors?

from what I have seen of Dells, they are not the best monitors to get.

BillB
07-14-2005, 12:08 AM
The "Ultra" line of Dell monitors are great MadMax, not sure why you'd say that.

Looks like a sweet rig, TailsNZ. One suggestion - how about a 24" for main screen and a 20.1" for the secondary? You could start with just the 2405 then add the 20.1 or even a 19 if you felt you needed it. Then again, matched vertical res is pretty important, and aesthetically, matched screens is a plus :)

He's not gonna use the SLI, so that's fine. Which is a shame, that'd be a nice gaming rig.

TailsNZ
07-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Yeah SLI can't be used for two monitors (and I'm a console gamer), but that's right, you need two indentical videocards to turn SLI mode on. The main uses will be split between average work (emails/internet/photoshop), and 3D modelling and rendering. Hopefully with the dual core and such, I'd be able to do some modelling... then set it to render while on the other core I do my regular work at the same time.

The reason for two video cards is it seems DVI is really pushed / sometimes goes over it's limits at such high resolutions. In total I believe I'd have about 3360 x 1050 resolution, which is just 1/2 a megapixel less than the 30" Apple Cinema Display (which requires a dual link DVI card).

I wonder though, if one 6800 GT card would for sure run both monitors fine, I could get that instead, and then add another one at the end of the year or such, and then have the option to enable SLI when playing games (although still during normal use, it'd be turned off, as SLI can only dispaly on one screen, not two). These are the Dual DVI cards I can see...

$330 - Leadtek GeForce 6800 GT Video Card (with what looks like a massive cooler, hmm)
$346 - XFX GeForce 6800GT Video Card (many fseemed to not recommend XFX)
$350 - AOpen GeForce 6800 GT Video Card
$365 - BFG Technologies GeForce 6800 GT OC Video Card (BFG seemed highly recommend)

Good question about the screens... both the one 2405 24" and the two 2005 20.1" monitors cost the same in the end... but for the reasons you mentioned there and the extra pixels, plus I wondered if tiling windows across the one big screen might be more complex than on two monitors, I decided to go for the two. I'm still wondering though to be honest... hmm.

SimonPickard
07-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Why not just get a geforce 7800?

I'm sure that can do dual DVI 1600x1200 fine.
Unless anyone knows different?

Regards,
Simon.

TailsNZ
07-14-2005, 06:47 AM
It's a bit more expensive for sure, but it seems to be not a case of power so much, on what can handle dual 1600x1200 or not, more problems with the DVI standard it's self. Tricky stuff though, it seems no one is quite sure about it.

Many people have recommend dual video cards for dual monitors though, saying they work a lot better/easier.

SimonPickard
07-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Humm.
I was thinking of getting a 7800 GST myself. So will this handel dual DVI 1600x1200 in 32 bit or not?

motoxpress
07-14-2005, 09:25 AM
I have an XFX 6800GT and it works just fine but, I would definitly go for a BFG first - nothing like a lifetime warranty to give you some comfort :) YOu will probably be ok to drive two of the Dell 20s off of the one 6800gt but, don't expect acceleration on both for your 3D app.

The rest of the system looks great. I have a friend who has the seasonic PS and he is more excited about it than most of the rest of the computer :D

gl

SimonPickard
07-14-2005, 03:40 PM
"Ou will probably be ok to drive two of the Dell 20s off of the one 6800gt but, don't expect acceleration on both for your 3D app."

What?!? My old geforce4 could drive two monitors at 1600x1200 and both were fine in 3D apps! Is this a DVI thing?

You sure about this comment? You've got my worried now as all geforce 7800's are dual DVI, which I'd want to use.

Does anyone out there run 3D software on a 6800 or above on dual DVI at 1600x1200? Please comfirm that it works ok?

Regards,
Simon

motoxpress
07-14-2005, 03:54 PM
My expereince has been that you will only get viewport acceleration on one monitor when you have two plugged into the same card. This is why dual PCIe 16 slots is an interesting option. Not for SLI but just to run two cards for two monitors.

All is not lost however as many will use one monitor for view ports and the other for the various windows and tool pallets (like the timeline in Maya)

gl

Peddy
07-14-2005, 04:19 PM
as the saying goes: "it's never a good time to buy a new video card"
the 7800 is relatively new, and we all know what that means. however, if you're prepared to fork out for 2 20" monitors (good gravy thats not pocket change), then im sure a 7800 is a serious consideration.

SimonPickard
07-14-2005, 11:43 PM
"My expereince has been that you will only get viewport acceleration on one monitor when you have two plugged into the same card. This is why dual PCIe 16 slots is an interesting option. Not for SLI but just to run two cards for two monitors."

Could you please give more details on this. Are you talking in DVI mode here? I.e. dual DVI? Or with any card. I.e. DVI + VGA. If so what cards are you talking about?

Personally my expereince has been the oppersite. I've had a geforce4 in my workstation for years and that's been running dual 1600x1200 fine with 3D viewports at full speed on both monitors. However this was 1 dvi and 1 vga so I'm wondering if this is the difference.

Regards,
Simon

TailsNZ
07-15-2005, 02:14 AM
I have a friend who has the seasonic PS and he is more excited about it than most of the rest of the computer

Ah yes, the Seasonic power supply unit... the feeling of holding it in your very palms is one that can only be described as orgasmic. No really, lol, I'm not sure why he's so excited about that?

The BFG? Yeah, $35 more for the lifetime warranty, sounds like a good deal to me :)

Yeah hopefully motoxpress replies again, will be interesting to hear more. Seems few people can/will talk about this subject from experience :(

if you're prepared to fork out for 2 20" monitors (good gravy thats not pocket change), then im sure a 7800 is a serious consideration.

Yep, if people can confirm it'll run dual 1600x1200 ok on it's own, and that it'll help accelerate 3D on both monitors, I'd go for it. It's very similar price to the two cards I was thinking of getting combined. The dual 20" monitors combined are about AUS$1300. I must admit though I can remember not that long ago when a single good 19" was that price. Amazing.

BillB
07-15-2005, 04:34 AM
Yep, I'm paying pretty much the same for my Dell 2405 as I paid for a Panasonic 19" crt about 5-6 years ago.

I have no doubt you could run 2 by 1600 x 1200 on the one card. The acceleration is another issue. I can say it's nothing to do with VGA vs DVI for those wondering, it's to do with the ability of the graphics card chipset to handle 3D acceleration at effectively 3200 x 1200. That's a big ask.

I have a feeling (helpful, eh?) that in dual-view mode you lose 3D accel on one, but in span mode you don't. I prefer span mode anyway, had problems with Maya pop-up menu's etc on second monitor in dual view mode.

SimonPickard
07-15-2005, 04:58 AM
"have a feeling (helpful, eh?) that in dual-view mode you lose 3D accel on one, but in span mode you don't. I prefer span mode anyway, had problems with Maya pop-up menu's etc on second monitor in dual view mode."

Arhh well if it's noting to do with vga and dvi I can tell you your wrong.
As I said my old geforce 4 with 128MB of ram on it could do dual 1600x1200 dualview fine with full 3D viewports running at full speed on both monitors.

So I'm guessing if an old gf4 could do this fine a new gf7 should be able as well.

Regards,
Simon.

motoxpress
07-15-2005, 05:25 AM
"My expereince has been that you will only get viewport acceleration on one monitor when you have two plugged into the same card. This is why dual PCIe 16 slots is an interesting option. Not for SLI but just to run two cards for two monitors."

Could you please give more details on this. Are you talking in DVI mode here? I.e. dual DVI? Or with any card. I.e. DVI + VGA. If so what cards are you talking about?

Personally my expereince has been the oppersite. I've had a geforce4 in my workstation for years and that's been running dual 1600x1200 fine with 3D viewports at full speed on both monitors. However this was 1 dvi and 1 vga so I'm wondering if this is the difference.

Regards,
Simon

Most of my information is based on building setups for others and their experiences with it. On my personal setup I have a 6800GT Dual DVI but, I am only running one monitor currently so I will have to get back to you once I add my second.

gl

rebo
07-15-2005, 05:26 AM
edit:: sorry double post

rebo
07-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Make sure the memory works with the DFI Lanparty board. Furthermore the board might not come with a dual core enabled bios, you might have to flash it. That raises the question how do you flash it without a working chip?

DFI Lanparty boards, are amazing brilliant and top of the range..... BUT they are really picky when it comes to compatibility and even getting the darn thing booted first time can be a chore if your not prepared to start flashing bios' and such. Quick tip: If your having problems booting into windows only put one stick in one of the orange slots, then flash the bios after that both sticks should work fine.

Great rig very similar to what i've got ( without the second video card), just do your homework regarding the mobo.

TailsNZ
07-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Good to know it'll phsyically be able to handle displaying on both screens.

Ah motoxpress, sounds great, look forward to seeing if the second screen is accelerated or not. Thanks for testing!!

Good point about the BIOS... I heard you do have to flash it, but haven't had time to check how yet. Will do though. The memory, hmm, I guess is the only way to check if it's compatable to find someone using it in the same motherboard? (edit, it seems OCZ memory is highly recommend by many people for that DFI motherboard, so I think the chances are very good indeed their 1gb sticks will work)

catamount
07-15-2005, 03:47 PM
a double reccomendation for the dell monitors. can be had for $400 each with the right vouchers :) :) - rock on.

novadude
07-15-2005, 04:04 PM
If you buy the board from Monarch they'll flash the BIOS for you if you ask them to.

igami
07-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a awesome system. How much is that roughly?

TailsNZ
07-17-2005, 04:21 AM
Yep I'm gonna search around for the coupons. These are for Dell's own site though? As I heard you only get a warranty if you buy them from Dell's site.

Monarch? Perfect, thank you! I'll order from them.

I already had a few of the parts, but I think in total the system is about US$3,500.

bmwolf
07-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Nice system! Almost looks like the one i just ordered. I have a few questions and suggestions though. These are just my opinions just take them with a grain of salt.

Are you going to be doing any extreme overclocking? With a 4400+ i doubt it, but why DFI. I Have heard that they are incredible boards if you spend along time tweaking them in the bios. Plus I here that they are real finicky about Memory. My suggestion with your Processor and use would be to get a the Asus An8-SLI Premium. Should be a more stable and have plenty of room to push the 4400+ if you feel inclined. It has many features that the DFI Doesn't, such as a Heatpipe Northbridge cooler(Silent) and SLI switching from within Windows. NO More Cards or Jumpers. I ordered one with my 4400+.

The Egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540
A Review:
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=mobos&id=382&pagenumber=1

Your hardrive Selection is good but you could save some money and get more storage by looking at Hitachi's new SATAII drives. Seagates are awesome, they have a good warranty, and are generally one of the quietest drives out there. But you could get 2 160GB Hitachi drives or 1 250GB and 1 80GB for more storage and cheaper than the 1 Seagate. Also you could get 2 250Gb for only $50 more than the 1 300GB Seagate.
They have a 3year warranty and seem to be doing very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1984&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=359%3A15133&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=14&Submit=Property

Anyway those are the choices I would make. Although I wouldn't get the ASUS IF and only IF you plan to do extreme amounts of overclocking or you are getting a case that mounts the mother board upside down, such as the Lian LI V series. the reason I say this is because the DFI is the best overclocker and the ASUS heatpipe will not work correctly upside down.

OPINION/

motoxpress
07-18-2005, 12:07 AM
One other note Tails,

I have a friend who bought the Gigabyte 6600GT with the heatsink cooling (no fans) and it failed. So, you may want to keep that in mind. It may be an isolated case but he seems to think it's not.

FYI

gl

TailsNZ
07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Hmm, yeah I think I'll avoid the fanless video cards then. A quieter video cooler shouldn't be hard to get later on anyways, from Zalman or such.

The DFI motherboard was originally as I was going with Mushkin Redline Ram, which could make great use of 3.5V. But they only have 256mb/512mb sticks. Then it was kept because apparently the 4400+ overclocks from 2.2ghz to 2.7ghz fairly easily. Although I wonder if that's just as easy to do on the Asus? (so far just read part of the review, but it talks about CPU voltage up to 1.55V and the chipset up to 1.5V. FSB up to 400mhz, which it seems the DFI can go higher on)

Ah sadly I already have the 300gb Seagate from earlier this year. Otherwise I'd probably either go for one of those, or run twin 74gb Raptors on Raid 0.

Shall read the reviews of that motherboard for sure though, it might make a good swap.

bmwolf
07-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey another review popped up for the ASUS.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=704&cid=3

The x2s are not great overclockers(well compared to some of their single core brothers) from what I hear, and the Asus should easily max it out unless you are running phase change and extreme voltage at really high speeds. 2.7 is only a 245HTT speed, far below the 318 some are posting with this board. From what i've heard 2.7 is not an easy overclock. 2.4 is easy, 2.6 maybe a tiny nudge to the voltage, but any higher and you have to raise voltage from what i hear. when you do that the heat and power usage of the x2 is really supposed to increase because there is 2x the cores.

What kind of cooling are you going to be running? Water? Air? If Air what heatsink? I'll be running a xp-90c when all my stuff finally gets here. At 2.7 that proc is gonna get real hot. I imagine you'll want a Thermalright If your running on air.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. i was in the same position you were about a week ago. I couldn't decide between the Asus and the DFI. I finally came to the conclusion that the Asus would not be the limiting factor if i decide to overclock the 4400+ alot. I will definately be running at at least 2.4. :thumbsup: 4800+ for half the price. And although the ram voltage only goes up to 3.0 thats plenty to run the 2x1gb pc4000 crucial ballistix I picked up. Awesome memory by the way! 2225 @ 200-210 2.6-2.9v and easily reaches over 250 @ 3338. I can hit ~265-270 with 2.8V. Gotta be the best 1gig sticks on the market. so 3 volts for ram is fine for anything but redline.

Anyway i'll stop babbling! Everyone :applause:!

I don't think you could go wrong with anything on your list right now!

Almost forgot. Check Monarchs combos out. I got my board for 179.00 and the OEM Proc. for only 529.00. I saved a quote and the next day the price went up to 650 for the oem 4400+. Monarchs quotes are good for seven days so when i went to order a week later it saved me a ton of money. so if you see it cheap save a quote with them.

bmwolf
07-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Udate: ordered Combo from monarch on Saturday. Shipped today and will be here Thursday. This is my first order from monarch and so far i'm impressed! They said it was preorder only! I figured I would have to wait a couple weeks at least. So Monarch = :thumbsup:

TailsNZ
07-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks, yeah it sounds sure the board won't be a limiting factor if I go for overclocking... what cooling? Scythe SCNJ-1000 Ninja + Nexus 120mm fan. That seems to be a pretty good performer, and I've seen several people run a 4400+ (not overclocked though) with the heatsink and no fan :)

Yeah I think I'll just stick to 2.6ghz (and go there pretty slowly I think, haha, given how much that processor cost)

Yep 3v would be enough for the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200/400MHz Titanium Edition Dual Channel (2-3-2-5). Ah what's the code for your RAM there do you know?

About Monarch... I see they have a tax free day for GA at the end of this month. Perfect!! While I'm still not in America yet, my friend is in GA where the packages are being sent... so it looks like I'll be able to enjoy a 7% discount on everything I order from them :)

And so long as everything arrives from August 10th I'll be one happy dude.

Thanks again! I'll think more about the motherboard... the one comparison review I found so far (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358) puts the DFI on top performance wise from the benchmarks... especially in audio, although at least at the moment that won't effect me. Still I won't have any use for SLI mode at the moment either, although being able to change it in Windows is a very nice future proof setting.

bmwolf
07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Heres a link to the memory at crucials website.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=DDR

It's the 1gb Sticks of either the tracer or regular. the code on my sticks is BL12864Z503. No need in getting the 2GB Kit if you can find the 1GB Sticks cheaper. Crucial just sends two packages if i recall. And definitely don't pay Crucials price If you decide you like them. I got mine on ebay for $149.00 each(New), others have found them for $125.00(New). Ebay is definitely the Way to go for these sticks and when you find them that low they are usually buy it now auctions.

They are the best 1gig sticks(for overclocking). OCZ, Patriot, Gigaram, Mushkin all use Infinion chips(I think, Mushkin may use Micron) and they usually top out at 230-240 except with flukes. The Ballistix use micron and easily do 2225 @ 200 and 250+ at 3338 guranteed. I know over at [H]ardforum Eclipse raves about the Crucial value 1gb sticks for around $80.00. they use the same chips as the Ballistix PC4000 just speed binned. They only do 2.5cas at 200, but they overclock up to around 250@3338. They're alot cheaper than the Ballistix and you only lose ~5% or less performance. Thinking back I should have saved the money and got them, but I just like pretty memory....Damnit!:love:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=921689
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762&page=1&pp=25

The Scythe looks like it cools really well, I see alot of people mentioning it lately. It cools about the same as the Thermalright xp-120 or xp-90c, and not to far ahead of the xp-90. Any 4 of those with a nexus, yate loon, or globe fan should be more than adequate and very quiet. I personally went with the XP-90c and i'm gonna try a Yate Loon 92mm(nexus + rpm) and an Acoustifan C 92mm To see which i like best.

I think researching the parts is the best part of new build! :thumbsup:
Good Luck!

lv-88
07-21-2005, 08:40 PM
nice to see that you've choosen the x2 4400+, you won't be dissapointed ;)

My overlocks to 3.0GHz stable, which gives me 6GHz of power, and believe me the price is really worth it all ;)

BillB
07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
For the record, got my 2405 from Dell in 7 days. Painfully, I was away on holiday and had to wait 3 days to get back and try it :)
Wow! Amazing. Big and beutiful. I'm still running a second 17" lcd to the side for our studio tracking system and web browser/email etc, so thumbs up to one big monitor and one smaller secondary!

TailsNZ
07-23-2005, 06:41 AM
haha, I'm surprised you didn't get back from holiday to find the LCD on someone elses desk ;) Sounds fantastic though!

6Ghz of power... (grunts like Tim from that old show Home Improvement) How did you overclock them to 3Ghz? For example what cooling do you use?

I'm kinda worried about buying Ram from Ebay though... there's 1GB (1 stick) of your ram on there now, with a day left on the auction and bidding up to $80... but the guy has used it for 3-4 months. If he was really pushing it and overclocking maybe more than he should, I assume the ram won't perform as well as it should. Not that he was doing that, I just mean I really don't know. I could keep checking for new sticks though.

I'm not too sure what you mean with the numbers like "2225 @ 200 and 250+ at 3338"... the four numbers are timings, but the 200 and 250+, is this mhz for each channel? I thought 2225 are much better numbers than 3338 though, but then does 250 instead of 200 more than compensate for that?

Thanks again!

bmwolf
07-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Yeah, the memory cannot stay at the same timings throughout its entire range. You have to losen the timings up to get the higher Speeds, more so with 1 gig sticks. 512 sticks are easier to overclock and keep tighter timings but four sticks in a A64 system doesn't run as well if at all on some systems. A64 sytems are not bandwidth starved like P4s so tighter timings are generally a little bit better (~5%) but the extra speed does usually make up the difference and can sometimes add some performance over low latency 200mhz memory. 3338@250 is usually = 2225@200 in performance. You get a lot more bandwidth though in case you use a program that needs it. A p4 is Completely different though, my p4 system performs significantly better with faster(Top Speed) memory that runs 1:1 with the fsb. Hope that makes since. Processor speed on a A64 system is far more important then memory speed or timings. without a benchmark you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between value and performance memory.

I just got done lapping my heatsink! I feel the results are worth sharing. I found out my heatsink was a little bit concave in the process but thats all taken care of now. Have a look.

Before:
http://portfolio.iu.edu/bmwolf/Before1.jpg
After:
http://portfolio.iu.edu/bmwolf/After3.jpg

TailsNZ
07-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Ah ok, that makes sense yeah.

I saw too the memory I was thinking of getting originally, "2 GB (2x1gb) OCZ EL DDR PC-3200/400MHz Titanium Edition Dual Channel (2-3-2-5) Overclockable to 3V (OCZ4001024ELDCTE-K / OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K)" is now discontinued according to Monarch. From the reviews on OCZ's site (all in the last few months) I thought it was fairly new RAM. Maybe not, not sure... but I don't really like the idea of buying discontinued RAM... naturally ;)

Another bonus point for the Crucial RAM. Having trouble finding places to get it for a better price though (the model with LED's looks cool too, and seems to be the same price, nice)

Wow, the difference in before and after is huge. I guess I should learn about that and thermal grease before putting the massive thing on my CPU too.

bmwolf
07-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Yeah it's real easy to do. This was my first time doing it . I just learned today actually. it only took me about an hour and a half or so. I am hoping that combined with Arctic Silver 5 i'll lose about 5-10c compared to without it so i can get away with a quieter fan. I really want a quiet system becuase my last one has been real annoying for the last 2 years. My wife thinks i'm crazy, trying to tweak every little thing about it.

TailsNZ
07-23-2005, 08:25 AM
haha, alas I suppose it's not quite the same as guys that spend all their time under the hood of their car... but ah well. 5 to 10 degrees is very impressive, sounds well worth it. How did you learn / what equipment did you use?

I've decided to go with the Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, as I don't think I'll use the extreme overclocking options of the DFI (like you, I'll try and produce a quiet PC, my last one was excellent in that area), and already I've taken one of the PCI slots with a firewire adapter... that'd leave just 1 more empty on the DFI, but 2 on the Asus. Probably one day I'll get something like wireless USB card when ever that comes out, TV tuner or something. So the extra slot there is good for future options.

bmwolf
07-24-2005, 01:23 AM
Yeah I like cars too! CG, computers, and cars among other things. My wife sure must love me!:D

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/hsflapping.html

Here is a mini tutorial. I purchased most of the stuff I needed at Autozone and the rest at Lowes.

400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
600 grit wet/dry sandpaper
800 grit wet/dry sandpaper
1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper

A piece of glass - I got mine from an old picture frame. you could also use Marble. you need something really flat.

about $.25 worth of low odor kerosene - Literally, you don't need much. You use this as Lubricant. You can also use water but it doesn't work nearly as well.

Duct tape - this is really needed for taping glass and sandpaper down.

Pure Acetone - For cleaning. you could also use denatured alcohol, 90% rubbing alcohol, or 70% if you don't have access to anything else.

a couple lint free clothes - I used microfiber. This is used for polishing and buffing.

A permanent marker - for finding low/high spots and seeing when it's time to change to the next highest grit sandpaper.

a bowl of water - for rinsing

Metal polish - I used Mother's Mag and aluminum polish. you could use Flitz or some other lapping compound. alternatively you could skip this and just keep increasing the grit sandpaper all the way up to like 2000- 2500 to get the shine to the metal. It's much easier to just polish it though.

this is what I did.

1. Lay out a bunch of newspaper on a table that you don't care about. Tape it down. Grab your piece of glass or marble and tape it down on the sides. Put just enough on the glass to hold it down because you want more surface area to work on. This creates a completely flat surface to true the Heatsink with sandpaper.

2. Then tape down your lowest grit sandpaper on top of the glass. I found that splashing a little water on the glass helped keep the sandpaper down while I taped it. Duct Tape is very important here. It keeps the sandpaper from moving, and it is not affected by water.

3. Clean your heatsink with Acetone or your choice of cleaner. Mark the base with permanent marker. This will show you the high and low spots quite quickly.

4. Drip a little kerosene on the sandpaper. Kerosene works a lot better than water. This allows the heatsink to almost glide across the sandpaper. Water makes the Heatsink grip too much for my tastes.

5. Place the base down flat on the sandpaper. Grab the Heatsink by the base or as low as posiible on the sides with both hands. Do not push down; let the weight of the heatsink do the work. Push the heatsink directly away from you. Pick the heatsink up and then move it back to the starting point. I repeated this 15 times and then rotated the heatsink 180degrees and did it fifteen more times. Occasionally clean the heatsink base, and sandpaper with water and papertowel to remove the excess metal shavings. Why your doing this check the Marker on the base to see where the high an low spots are and the progress you’ve made.

6. Remove the old sandpaper and put the next highest grit paper down. Repeat the above steps until you've finished with the highest grit. It's best to do the majority of the flattening with the 400 and 600 grit paper as they will cut the fastest. Mine was concave and the outside edges needed the most metal taken off to level it out. Just keep marking the base with a marker to show you your progress. You can also occasionally place the edge of a flat ruler on the base and hold it in front of a light source. If you see light shining though the heatsink is not flat.

7. Then use the metal polish by following the directions on the can until you have reached the mirror like finish. Don't use the marker before starting this step.

8. Clean the heatsink with acetone before mounting. to remove any contaminents in the polish.

Check the link for clarification. People say this will drop temps ~5c. I honestly haven't tested it but I will when I do my other heatsink thats already in a computer. And then they say AS5 drops another 2-3c. So yeah seems worth it to me!

*EDIT: added step 8

TailsNZ
07-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Perfect, thanks! I'll print of that post and the instructions on Yahoo. I also decided to get Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, and will print the instructions to put that on.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2005, 10:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.