PDA

View Full Version : Do we - in some threads - need a few more rules regarding posting?

Skjoldbroder
07-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Regarding this forum, I'd like to suggest the possibility of a few rule changes that should introduce a bit more discipline and hopefully increase creative output.

An example : When I went into the speed painting thread in this forum, I was a bit surprised that there isn't a single painting on the first page of posts. This in my view contradicts the entire point of the thread.

So

I think we need to set a few rules - like a rule that says "you can post in the [insert thread] as long as you attach an image" - this way we could avoid the huge number of posts saying stuff like "yeah, great idea", "very nice, i like", etc. etc. - Though these are obviously not wrong things to say, nor unfriendly, they take up space in the threads and remove your attention unnecessarily from the topic at hand. Obviously this practice would only be relevant in threads where the objective is to make people post their artwork, so not in cases of, say, theoretical art discussions.
This way of moderating threads has been practiced succesfully on other boards (an example is Bay Raitt's modeling board, where you can only post a reply in a thread if you include an interesting link)
- practically, this could be "enforced" by a simple check in the php/asp/whatever code before your post is accepted.

And there we have it. Thoughts, reactions?

All the best
/Mogens

Gord-MacDonald
07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
An example : When I went into the speed painting thread in this forum, I was a bit surprised that there isn't a single painting on the first page of posts. This in my view contradicts the entire point of the thread.

So

I think we need to set a few rules - like a rule that says "you can post in the [insert thread] as long as you attach an image" - this way we could avoid the huge number of posts saying stuff like "yeah, great idea", "very nice, i like", etc. etc. /Mogens

The example you sited is a good one to illustrate the usefulness of applying posting rules. Having said that, I think that the application of rules could be a touchy issue - the boundary that separates an off topic post, from an on topic post, is often grey- the issue of applying rules, while useful is a bit of a tightrope act.

Gord

Squibbit
07-13-2005, 04:44 PM

yet strangely they've posted stuff like "I did this in 20 mins" there...

Dude, no offense but that thread is possibly a year old and most
of the pics from the few hundred earlier posts aren't there cuz
the people who posted them don't have them on their websites
anymore. :)

Skjoldbroder
07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
The example you sited is a good one to illustrate the usefulness of applying posting rules. Having said that, I think that the application of rules could be a touchy issue - the boundary that separates an off topic post, from an on topic post, is often grey- the issue of applying rules, while useful is a bit of a tightrope act

Very true, it's touchy - that's one reason I thought it might be good to get other people's perspectives on the idea. I didn't mean this to be a censorship thing, not at all - obviously people's feedback and constructive criticism is very valuable, a thing not to be missed out on.

So what then? Not a rule, but at least an encouragement to always include a personal work with your post? Again, I was only suggesting this for threads like the daily sketch group, quicksketches etc.

it's a conundrum =)

Dude, no offense but that thread is possibly a year old and most
of the pics from the few hundred earlier posts aren't there cuz
the people who posted them don't have them on their websites
anymore. :)

None taken mate =)
Yours is also a valid point - but I still think my example works, and you must admit that there's often a lot of clutter in threads. (well no, you don't have to admit that, but I think so =)

- Another example is the sticky tutorials in the Adobe Photoshop thread. There are lots of tutorials in there, but people also comment on them in the thread, which means that about half of it is actually pretty useless (but it's obviously nice to get a positive comment if you post your tut)

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.