PDA

View Full Version : Too many ploygons for computer to handle

peterhus
07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Hey guys,

I'm working on a really high poly object in 3ds max, when I move and rotate the model, it's move really bloody slow, I don't have the slowest computer in the world, it is 2.2ghz 1g ram and 128 mb graphic card.

Right, my question is, in what area will I need to inprove this performance, as in hardware so it move just as good as if it was a low poly model.

Thanks,
Peter

XenaTrek
07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Its been a few years since I've worked with 3DSM (was taking a course on it at the local community college until they switched it out for Maya 3D). I remember correctly there is a way to work and/or switch from high to low resolution for the model in question to help with the ram issue. I could go and ask the instructor, tho I'm sure someone here will help you out.

XenaTrek.

TheThidMan
07-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Wot processor amd or intel?

peterhus
07-13-2005, 02:11 PM
No 3ds max can't do that, it's already high poly and can not convort to low poly, just like to know whats the best hardware the will handle the high poly.

I guess it the graphic card, but I like to hear from other hardware guys whos really know what they talking about.

Thanks,
Peter

peterhus
07-13-2005, 02:12 PM
sorry, Ive got an amd processer n ATI radeon graphic card.

Peter

Ultimatebadass
07-13-2005, 02:29 PM
peterhus - If you've got a Radeon card (AGP, 9500 or later) then you might want to try this: http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227800 . It should help you to improve viewport perfromance http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Halford
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
the viewport can be improved by a better gpu, if you have a radeon do the tutorial to mod it to fireGL, but still, the only way I saved my work (15millions polys) was to hide objects..I was hiding everything but the one I had to use...this will improve a lot the work flow, just need to get use to it. as well stay on one view, not all four at the same time.

Hal.

techfreak
07-17-2005, 03:12 PM
I agree with Halford. Streamlining your workflow by hiding objects is the way to go when it comes to any card handling a very high poly scene. Even if you softmod your card its still the same card with the same specs. Its not going to make any difference. I have seen alot of people mod their cards, but no one has really given any before and after benchmarks. All that I have seen are guys stating that it says that its a quadro or gl card in their properties. Yeah it may say that, but the way i see it is, its like having a ferrari, but with a chevelle engine. Yeah its says Ferrari, but uhhh...

lots
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
You can't model by proxy? (model a low res object that modifies a high res one?)

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.