PDA

View Full Version : Codename:Vritra

keeganb
07-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Hey all,
This is my latest character I've started working on. Its gonna be my first NormalMap attempt so as I go through I'd really appreciate any help people can offer either artistically or technically.

A little bit about the character
The idea is to achieve something along the lines of Metal gear. I love the style of the game and now I'm taking it upon myself to create a character that could exist in this universe.
So Codename:Vritra is an Asian mercenary bred in the volitile region of Kashmir. His main weapon is going to be a hive of mechanical mines which sort of nest on his back and then in battle they spread out to engage the enemy.
Anyway heres some concepts and the model so far.
Barry

http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_03.jpghttp://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_03.jpg

http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/vritra_front.jpg http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_concept.jpg

http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/vritra_front.jpg http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_concept.jpg

Por@szek
07-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi there, long time I see You in here. Nice to know You are still alive :D . Concept looks cool, very nice idea , looks similar to prince of persia but with some implants??:) Model also looks nice, but too small to say anything more, maybe some wire, and head will be also need :) Or You want it decapitated??:twisted:
Take care dude.

RO
07-13-2005, 01:49 PM
looking cool wires and a head would be cool :) I like the concept so keep us updated!

keeganb
07-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Por@szek - Thanks man and yeah Its been a while alright. Here some wireframes after some more modelling, hope this helps. I will be going onto the head soon enough.

Desp#2/Rog - Thanks for the interest, theres the wires. I'll post again when I get the head started and complete! Theres still alot of tweaking to do on the mesh regarding proportions and so on and I still want to design these mechanical mines I mentioned.

http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_04.jpg

jOBe
07-14-2005, 04:39 PM
thats a very nice mesh. clean and perfect for normalmaps.

obelisk
07-15-2005, 12:55 AM
really nice concept, and great modelling so far. seems like there are a lot of wasted polys in the small of his back and belt-buckle. they also seem to have been multipied in there quite deliberately. what are they there for? meantime, the way you've joined all the sections on his back is really tidy. keep the good work coming.

cheers,

-O

hanzo
07-15-2005, 10:18 AM
yeah man dam,

this is super clean mesh work, I always like your topology standing man, simply excellent also quite an original character look as well ( to my knowledge )

very good comeback man, I'll keep my eye open on this one :thumbsup:

keeganb
07-22-2005, 08:34 PM
jOBe - cool I'm glad its looking good for normals!

obelisk - Yes your right about the wasted polys obelisk and I have fixed the dense section on the back.

hanzo - Thanks hanzo I'm glad your liking it, hopefully when the character is done there'll be alot of ionteresting elements to make him stand out from the crowd.

Anyway heres an update, sorry that I'm not showig the wires here but I will when I get the modelling fully complete and I'm happy to get a final crit on the modelling. The head is still in an early stage but I wanted to show something since my threads gone a bit dormant! :)
Barry
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_05.jpg

ArchangelTalon
07-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Really like where this is going :D

The character's great, he's got a unique feel about him (which is a particularly good thing in this case).

hanzo
07-22-2005, 09:53 PM
adding up to another cool piece man, keep it up :thumbsup:

Por@szek
07-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Nice work on modelling, I can't wait to see it textured. Cool work, can I please a wire of face (some zoom :) ).
Take care man.

pimeto
07-22-2005, 11:13 PM
nice poly arangment :)
what is the poly count ?
i think you might loose some polys in the hands, and the back and put it to the legs :lightbulb

i wait to see the texture :) realy nice modling

AndyH
07-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Looks good so far - nice and neat modeling.
I think that his trousers look too solid and plasticky though - maybe try and model some creases or some randomisation to suggest that they are made of cloth.

Keep at it anyway - i like the concept and idea.

keeganb
07-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey thanks to everyone for the interest it means alot and inspires me big time! :)

ArchangelTalon - Thanks man I'm striving to make him stand out as much as I can.

Por@szek - Check it out below!

pimeto - Thanks dude and yeah your right on those suggestions which I will implement

Andy H - Yeah your totally right the trousers need alot of work and I'm looking forward to tackling them and making them look convincing.

Anyway heres an update which is really a focus on the face and head, I feel if I can get the face looking really nice then I'll have to make the rest as good. The head, turbin and hair is 2090 polys at the moment but I'll optimize that when I'm fully satisfied with the hair and try and have it just on 2000 which is NextGen specs(or so I've been told).

C&C weclome
Barry

http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_06.jpg
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_06.jpg

lordmachuca
07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
lookin clean so far bro. looking forward to the normal maps. U gonna use max's normal map or something else.

onelung
07-29-2005, 03:55 PM
lookin good, only real crit right now is you stated he was supposed to be asian, and this guy seems to have typical caucasian features.... unless you've changed the asian idea.

keeganb
07-29-2005, 04:06 PM
lordmachuca - Thanks man and I'm not too sure about what I'm gonna use yet for the normals. Out of two of my buds that know this stuff one really likes using maxs where as the other uses ZBrushes.

onelung - No I intend to have him Asian* looking, well as close as I can. Any help or suggestion would be aprreciated.

*I mean Indian Asian rather than far east Asia.

lordmachuca
07-29-2005, 05:43 PM
indian asian, is that like a mongolian or something? At the moment It looks very his features are very euro. If its the race of people im thinking of, they have rounder facial features, the nose is broader at the top, yours is thin at the moment. their cheek bones are the right height I think but, not as defined as that of a European dude.
I could be thinking of the wrong type of person though.

keeganb
07-29-2005, 06:26 PM
I had a feeling there was a bit of confusion, in the UK and Ireland when we use the term Asian were refering to people from the regions of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladesh where as I've noticed in the U.S its used more for Chinese/Thai/Japanese/Korean. Heck its fairly confusing but basically my character should look like someone from Kashmir which is like at the top of India and his headscarf signify's the 'sikh' religion which is cool cause they have a really great symbol that I can use somewhere!
http://www.isymbolz.com/spiritual/sikhism/sik003-Sikh-03.jpg

Cheers again and thanks for the tips lordmachuca I'll try and get it as authentic as possible!
Barry

eoin
07-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Great work Keegan, I am REALLY diggin his face, and yes he does look "Bangladesh". I know that one confused me to, so I wouldnt use the term "Asian" again when describing him!
Seriously though I can see some love an attention going into this one, its shaping up real nice, Im going to keep a close eye on this one :]

Eoin

antodonnell
07-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Heh Barry looking sweet so far, cant wait to see where this one progresses .

johnwoo
07-30-2005, 07:30 AM
I dig that last update of the character, except for the hair hanging down, I would've liked to maybe have seen the alpha replicate the hair as if it was tucked in somewhat, as some of my friends don't have hair like that hanging down so it just seemed a bit strange to see...but as for the rest..lookin real good...btw...you going through the whole creation cycle with this character?

keep up the good work...

hanzo
07-30-2005, 12:12 PM
wow keegan I thought you were making an Arabian character ( Aladdin style ) or something, but this is a 'Sikh' character without a doubt I know that symbol, there's lots of Sikh Indians living in my hood. You are actually the first person I've seen use such a theme very original indeed. Also I know what you mean about Asian, most people don't realize that most of the world is Asia, and most people in north America haven't realized that even the Americas used to be part of Asia..

grump well I said enough, great work and keep it up man. :thumbsup:

keeganb
08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
eoin - Thanks bud glad your liking in!

nath devlin - cool and stay tuned I need all the support and help i can get

johnwoo - Firstly man I loved that prize fighter you done, awesome work! I know Sikh's normally hide their hair under their head dress but I wanted to have the hair coming down to portray the following 3 things.
1)That he looks a bit unkept and dangerous.
2)The shabby dress shows hes abondaning his religion and becoming more evil as hes goes down the path of mercenary, oooo! :)
3)Cool factor! b)

you going through the whole creation cycle with this character?
I'm not too sure what you mean can you elaborate?

hanzo - cool man I'm glad you like the direction! I think I might of heard something that there was some Sikh's in Hitman2 but I cant fully remember?

No updates at the moment just in the middle of stuff but thanks for the interest guys.
Barry

johnwoo
08-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey keegan...thanks man for the kind words...Ah...I see what your going to achieve now, I made a crit towards the hair as I thought it was genuinely an oversight, but you have explained it's intentional so it's all good, I was just unsure what your plan was...so that's cool now I understand :thumbsup:....btw..yep what I mean't by "whole creation cycle" was concept ->model -> texture -> rig/weight -> animation ready....I should've explained explained it like this 1st time round...sorry about that dude...

p.s. Keep up the good work...:)

Por@szek
08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi dude, where is the update?? I don't see it, com'on I know You are doing something, give us that pleasure and show something. I'm curous about the textures.

keeganb
08-06-2005, 09:46 AM
johnwoo - Ah right I understand now. yeah I'm gonna go through the whole process, when I'm finished it all I'd like to do some anims but really cause I'm trying to get a job as a character modeller it could be a waste of time.

Por@szek - Hey man heres an update, realy it might not look like much work on top of what you've seen last but I have had to do alot of optimization and also adding extra details aswell.

Anyway this is the lowpoly mesh complete and it stands at 8100 polys. After I UV map this I aim to have a 512x512 for the head and a 1024x1024 for the body. I'll be using colour, Normal and Spec maps. Anyway if theres anything people can suggest or crit my proportions then go ahead and I'll update again soon!
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_11.jpg

Cheers
Barry

CG-Gordon
08-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Really nice mesh, can't wait to see this textured. Your proportions look good to me and i can't really see anything to crit so get to the texturing.

Gordon.

Psyk0
08-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Clean mesh, original design, also like how you break the symmetry on the pants. Looking forward to another update!

obelisk
08-08-2005, 09:26 AM
this is looking awesome. can't help thinking he needs a scimitar though. if anything, just to get in the brand with that great logo. keep it coming.

cheers

-O

Sleepincat
08-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Looks great Bar, I'll be watching this with great interest...

johnwoo
08-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey keeganb..

Cool...and nice update btw...looking forward to seeing what you do with the colour and normal map....yeah about the question whether you were gonna rig and weight ya character is basically it's good to know and definitely good to show that your topology on the mesh works well when posed/animated..that was all really...

good stuff so far tho' :)

mindrot
08-23-2005, 10:09 PM
This is looking great. Nice neat mesh there. I like the two concepts as well.

The cloth hanging from the back is a nice touch :)

~M~

Wildstyles
08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Well done! great work... its got better and better! I can't wait to see this normal mapped.

keeganb
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
So finally an update, I have been away for a bit on this piece but its all starting to come togther again. Just want to say thanks for all the feedback from everyone so far its been great!
Anyway I've been battling with Zbrush and trying to achieve something worthy, heres where I'm at so far. note I am a long way off finishing and theres tonnes to do but I wanted to give an update since its been so long!
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_27.jpg
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_27.jpg

http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_26.jpg
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_26.jpg

obelisk - yeah a Simitar would look cool, I'll do something at that end

Johnwoo - yeah totally i know what you mean, I'll try out rigging it and see how the topology holds up :) I think i'd like some final renders with him in some cool poses!

Por@szek
10-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi dude.

Thats really cool stuff U post in here. I love the details. I'm curius how U will skinn this metal (I supposed) parts on his back. The normals looks ace, I like them much.

Could U post later somerenders with lights??

Cheers mate.

keeganb
10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks Por@szek, I've been working on the back tech area with the spec maps and Norm maps.
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/02/Vritra_28.jpghttp://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_28.jpg

When you say skinning are you talking about how I UV'd the back? Is that what you mean?
i suppose when its all done I'll get onto lighting but i wont focus on that right now.

Augh
10-19-2005, 03:44 PM
*saves all the pics to my inspirations folder right away* o_o

This is really something man. You've clearly thought very carefully about the character from step 1, and it shows through as strong characterisation and very crisp modeling/texturing imo. I love how you're handling the normals with ZB(?), I don't spose you know somewhere I could get a few basic instructions on setting up the whole deal? I have been intending to paint folds and such in a really similar way for a character I'm doing at the moment. I'd just ask you to spill the secrets, but I hate to do that to people, it's rude and eats their time too haha.

I'd love to offer critique but you're way over my head already, just please keep it coming :)
Hrm maybe the sikh symbol could go on the turban? Like a small emblem on the front center or such, I'm not sure how a turban is held in position... do they ever use pins or clasps or anything like that?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

keeganb
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the great response Augh its really pushed me to work today as i was feeling under motivated! This is my first attempt at putting Normal maps onto a character so i'm delighted that your diging it so far.
As for the folds I really didnt do anything special. Firstly I had reference(very important) and then i just used a fat brush(about 15% intensity) to bring out the geo creating ridges of cloth. This was done in a lowish resolution. Then I brought the res up and using a small/fine brush I painted in edges to sharpen up the folds. I think once you think about gravity and have that reference on front of you your nearly the full way there. If all that made no sense then I'll knock up some images, let me know.
I'm still undecided where to put the Sikh symbol, it'll probably end up somewhere where the mapping is good!haha
I'll post an update when I've got the textures near a more completed state.

keeganb
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Heres an update.
http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_32.jpg

captainboom
10-28-2005, 02:33 PM
WoW Great work..........................

LATER
JASON

johnwoo
10-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Whoa!!!...you been busy keegan...this is really coming together nicely..what more additions do you need to add to him if any?...also how are ya finding ZB?....good stuff man...:)

lordmachuca
10-29-2005, 06:44 PM
coming together really good man. as for critique, I think the face is lacking something, can't really put my finger on it, eye brows maybe. I think it could use more color variation, throw in some reds around the check area maybe.

the blue pants are kinda throwing me off too. try playing with the color there.
the boots are spot on dude, they look sweet.

EDIT-Maybe you could throw an opacity map on the material thats hanging in the front and back.
make it a little used, tattered, I can't imagine this dude with perfect, new material, unless he's a new recrute.

Great piece over all though dude, and for a first normal map attempt, wow.

-los

MrWaRrDoG
10-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Darn cool character, even more cool model&textures
1 question: where's the orange bandana?

eoin
10-29-2005, 07:11 PM
yes indeed :)

Every time I see your progress on this guy Iím impressed even more! All the little touches are starting to set this guy off and making him look like he belongs in his world.
As far as crit go some color variation would be great overall, not just "surface" wear and tear... get deeper into that cloth :]
Maybe buff up the material on his knees and elbows as this guy probable does a lot of crawling around. Also sweat patches, environment dirt, embedded in all those meeting points around his body (metal too). yeah his cape could do with a softer edge (agreed!) and also some dirt especially at the bottom.

Great stuff man can wait to see your progress on the face too!

EOin

popawheelie
10-30-2005, 04:11 AM
Very nice work, Only one thing that bugs me a little is the neck. It looks as though he is choking or his head is on backward. Shape the neck into the the colar bones. :) But then agian it maybe the render.pop

obelisk
10-30-2005, 05:39 AM
this is looking so fantastic. just think he's missing the spark of life. a glimmer in the eye and some sheen on the cheeks. a little expression would help too. a sense that he's thinking about something. at the moment he looks a little like an action figue that came without batteries.

that said, the design modelling and texturing is top notch. the use of normal mapping is quite clever and restrained, and the overall style is really tight.

keep it coming man

cheers

-O

Por@szek
10-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Thats outstnading dude!

I love the changes and update u made. Nice colors U used in here.

My only suggestion is to try sharpen more the pants and boots.

Keep it up. Nicely work;)

keeganb
11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
captainboom - Thanx :)

johnwoo - Cheers Woo :) yeah man I just wanna get into the diffuse texture more and add some saturated areas on the cloths and some more worn areas. I still have to do his gun, its uv'd but needs normal love now! Also the face needs a bit more work. I'm starting to get into ZBrush now it was tough at first and I was actually hating it for a while but then when you start to get good results then it feels good. My pc is chuggin a bit when using it so thats the only annoying thing right now!

lordmachuca - Yeah man your right the face needs more work, I sorta threw down whats there but have yet to go back and caputre something special. Yeah the blue pants need some colour variation and hopefully that'll sweeten them up a bit more.

MrWaRrDoG - I changed my mind on the orange headscarf, normally I do that cause for some reason my concepts are always too colourful for my tastes when I go into 3D. Someone also made the point to me of not having too much bright colours in this Vritra character since he is a sorta stealth type guy.

eoin - Nice one Eoin :) All great points and I'll be starting on those suggestions along with the head today.

popawheelie - I'll spend some time on looking into the neck as theres been a few points raised about this area.

obelisk - Cheers man thanks! :) I'm totally with you on the spark of life thing, hopefully this stage onwards will bring alot more character out in him.

Por@szek - Cheers Por thanks for the feedback and stay tuned :)

Thanks for all the great feedback dudes it really helps me to learn and the suggestions are all very helpful.
Barry

taran0
11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
hey barry

thats great.... I am a sikh and i am workign on some sikh characters too.
but more traditional style from the 18th century

first time i have seen any sikh or northern indian characters like that......
looks great.

keep up the good work..

taran

keeganb
11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
taran0 - Thanks dude, yeah i just wanted to create something a little different and I'm delighted you approve of where its going. I dont know too much about Sikh's so if I got anything wrong then blame my research! :)

Anyway heres an update on the face, I'm really working into the spec map trying to get alot of detail and intensity and messing around with skin tone. This character is slightly troubled so I want him to come across shabby!

http://www.barrykeegan.com/3d-art/images/01/Vritra_40.jpg

TheRedemption
11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
wow nice job man its going to make a fantastic portfolio piece when your done :)

taran0
11-08-2005, 05:45 PM
the great thing is barry, althoguh the turban is very specific to the sikhs, the turban is widely used by all cultures in and around the whole of india and persia it is only teh past 100 years where other cultures have stopped wearing them. the sikhs continue to wear them as it was a part of their uniform.

diferent cultures also had diferent ways of tyeing their turbans, the sikhs tended to wear a more taller style of turban with weapons tied into it.

the turban your character wears bears resemblance to a common type worn by many cultures including hindu's in india, these days it is quite similar across the board.

so really your character could be sikh, nepalese, hindu hill chief, persian or afghan etc.....

but a great lookign character really captures an image which is relevant to the whole of india, rather then just one area.

the character reminds me of old romantic tales from indias mythology.

The character doesnt look too much like a sikh because sikhs will have a beard too.
but i think it looks great.

i'll find some images and post them for you to see.

taran

Por@szek
11-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Barry, dude that looks fantastic. I have no crits for this one, looks really impressive. Great job so far, I see a lot of progress in Your skill, that makes me very happy.

Be in touch.
Roger over.
:thumbsup:

Wildstyles
11-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Your getting better and better with every piece of work you do! You've gone a step up again with this character! Seriously this is amazing looking! WELL DONE, best work so far!

keeganb
11-16-2005, 09:25 AM
I posted in the finished Gallery. Thanks for all the support, help and critiques! Much appreciated.
Barry

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=294214

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 09:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.