PDA

View Full Version : One thing in theory, another in practice.

tntcheats
07-13-2005, 08:41 AM
I've noticed that all of the drawing books, and all the people online with their little tutorials, for the most part have the stick figure, then you draw shapes around it, then go from there in the characters; however, whenever watching people who are good at drawing, either face-to-face, or through that sketchpad thing on art.com they all seem to just draw randomly, without any guides whatsoever.

What's the deal?

Peddy
07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
this usually indicates a level of skill (or confidence, or apathy towards work etc) where guides are needed. some people can visualise forms and volumes without the use of guides.
and theres a big difference between theory and practice because they are 2 different things. thats why we use two different words.

tntcheats
07-13-2005, 09:13 AM
I was referring to the phrase.

Peddy
07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
really? hrm...
lost in translation? from english to english?
if you arent referring to the paragraph you typed up, then i have no idea what you are talking about :shrug:

Wonton
07-14-2005, 04:59 AM
The more skillfull hasn't really skipped any steps, as it would seem, they've just done it in their minds, maybe they've even done this particular pose 50 times before already with thumbnails or whatever.

There actually is some logic behind all that randomness, to the artist as least. This is basically the result when we try to draw from the general to the specific. Like I try to pinpoint the extents of the figure, then it's just a matter of joining the dots and filling detail. So anyone trying to draw the general first would usually appear quite random.

Other times, it is just randomness, and we try to find a "happy accident" from all that abstraction.

So keep learning the methodical fashion, someday you might be able to leave some process strictly in your mind, and also because we can't teach randomness.

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
have you ever get lost in that kind of a zen state, where you just create (draw, paint, model etc) and pay no attention to rules or whatever? have you ever watched jazz session players? do they look at the notes? they know their riffs and just get lost in their music. they just create. and for that you need to know your tools and need to know them well. that's why theory exists. learn as much as you can at as much things you can and the world will be your playground. sooner or later.

tntcheats
07-15-2005, 04:25 AM
Thanks guys-and Akademus, nice analogy! :D

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2005, 04:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.