PDA

View Full Version : Which to purchase Lightwave or vue?

joewalker123
07-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Please help! I am very new to CGI and want to know what program to use. I have been
offered Lightwave 8 from someone i know for 299 which i suppose is pretty good, but have seen the program Vue which looks fantastic. I have already ruled out Maya because of the price tag. Which will be the better choice?

Mylenium
07-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Please help! I am very new to CGI and want to know what program to use. I have been
offered Lightwave 8 from someone i know for 299 which i suppose is pretty good, but have seen the program Vue which looks fantastic. I have already ruled out Maya because of the price tag. Which will be the better choice?

Why don't you get both for with the current special offer?

Mylenium

LightwaveGuy
07-13-2005, 01:22 PM
I think it really depends on what your goals are, I don't personally use Vue but it is primarily used for Landscapes, Cityscapes, etc where LW can and is used for all 3d aspects from landscapes to character animation and much much more...

JDoliner
07-13-2005, 04:03 PM
they're really not comprable. Lightwave is up there among the best applications it's practically a complete pipeline in and of it's self. Vue just isn't that at all. It's good for scenary and such, probably better than lightwave at that, but it's not really good for that much else. So yeah i'd go with lightwave.

digital verve
07-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Lightwave for sure. :)

Another alternative and cheaper for landscapes is this product:
http://www.geomantics.com/genesis4.htm

There is a free version to download too, if you register for the download page.

Terragan is very good (free for non-commercial use), but downside in current version is no vegetation. Terregan 2 will support veggy and looks very good from the previews on the site.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

paulrus
07-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Why doesn't anyone pay attention to the first reply? NewTek is selling them as a bundle at a SIGNIFICANT discount at the moment.

You can have BOTH.

digital verve
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Because if you read, he is being offered Lightwave for 299 by someone. A new seat of Lightwave with Vue costs 627 (and still VAT to add on top of that). Big difference. :)

EDIT: Still a great deal though if you can afford it.

paulrus
07-13-2005, 05:54 PM
I guess when I figure 627/2=313.5 each, it seems like the most logical/economical way to go. Vue Infinite is listed at 411, so if he bought LW at 299 and then later bought Vue at 411, he'd be spending 710.

digital verve
07-13-2005, 07:13 PM
...but ...but 299 + terragen is way cheaper. :D

Seriously though, it is a great deal. I just hope Newtek can arrange a special discount on Vue for those of us who already have LW 8. :)

Personne
07-13-2005, 09:38 PM
...but ...but 299 + terragen is way cheaper. :D

Seriously though, it is a great deal. I just hope Newtek can arrange a special discount on Vue for those of us who already have LW 8. :)

I hope too.

joewalker123
07-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Cheers for the help guys.

Its an expensive buisness is this, ill probebly end up getting both at some point anyway but looks like Lightwave will be first.

Is the interface fairly easy?

bobakabob
07-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Good decision - you won't look back. Take a look at the Newtek gallery - there's nothing you can't create in Lightwave. A cool thing about LW's interface is that it's all in (relatively) plain English - no silly icons to worry about. I'd suggest you buy Dan Ablan's 'Inside Lightwave 8' tome and follow the tutorials to get your head round it. There are also tons of free tutorials on Newtek's site and elsewhere on the net, plus a very helpful community. Also, it's worth splashing out for a paper manual if it's not included in the price.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2005, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.