PDA

View Full Version : Having a mirror weights problem in Maya

SirCharles
07-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Ok, so I have a character setup and on the wrists there are 2 joints on each wrist. One to drive the wrist main motion and the other is a fix up joint to help with the deformations. When I mirror my weights from the left to the right, the weights on these 2 joints gets messed up and flipped. So the weight from the fix up on the left goes onto the wrist on the right and vice versa.

Has anyone ever experienced this and if so, how do I get past it?

-Charles

M.E.L.
07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
If these joints are resting ontop of one another you're going to run into some issues because Maya copies via global space. Basically what happens is that Maya reads the weight values in their global coordinates off the vertices so if you have 2 influences (joints) overlapping one another, it will get confused and generally 'explode'.

A typical workaround that SOMETIMES works is to take the joint and go into pivot mode, move the joint a little bit off the default position (say like 5 units up the arm so the joints no longer overlap) and then try doing a mirror that way.

-s

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.