PDA

View Full Version : Feed Back Please!!!

membreno-david
07-12-2005, 10:28 PM
These are some screen of a basketball stadium I made. Around 48k triangles... Pointers please, and could someone please give me some ideas on how to properly light this kind of environment.

Thanks.

rob-beddall
07-13-2005, 10:06 AM
hey!!

firstly, i haven't played a basketball game for at least 5 years so......

i'm thinking that there maybe a little too much detail . ( but with next gen, who knows)
all i can say is, post a couple of wires so we can see how you built it.
what texture sizes did you use etc?

cheers!!

Matt
07-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Next generation consoles are only as good as last year's PCs.

In a sports game, the environment is only worth 20% of the graphics processing power. The rest should go to the most important things, the characters and articles of the sport.

There's no point in modelling audience chairs any higher than 6 triangles in polygonal density. There will be crowd models (or imposters) in front of them, so it's utterly superfluous to assign this much detail to these things. Normal maps will help you in this area. Normal maps haven't been used all that much on imposters in main stream games yet, but they would be a wondeful addition for strips of imposters from rows six and back to have. The first six rows should have polygonal spectators in the crowd, but at an extremely low polycount. The models in the front two rows should be no higher than 500 vertices.

rob-beddall
07-13-2005, 10:42 AM
hey!!

when i was at uni someone came in (games industry guy) and showed us a tech demo of a football game where every person in the crowd was modelled in 3d. granted, the ones further away were 9 tri's. that's why i wasn't sure how much detail you wanted there.

cheers!!

membreno-david
07-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas, just to let you know...the seats behind the hoop are a little bit high in poly count...but i only made 2 rows of those. The rest of the seats are planes, which I took screens of the regular seat and drop it in the planes as a texture. Giving in that look that they are the same seat. Saving me alot of poly count.

To be honest, the most complex object in my whole scene, is the hoop it self. Then again, it's the centerpiece. I'll put up some wires to show ya...

My texture maps ranged in sizes, from 64x64 to 512x512 nothing bigger.

Thanks for the feedback, Keep 'em coming.

membreno-david
07-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Forgot to mention, please send me some lighting pointers...thanx!

Payce!

Swizzle
07-15-2005, 12:26 AM
You could save a metric crapton of polygons if you made the rows of seats single alpha-mapped planes instead of all the little rectangles you have now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/betterthan.jpg

utchamp
07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Hey, nice court.

What is your current way of lighting the place??

In basketball courts, there usually is a ton of lights covering the ceiling.... and some more in the entrances to the stands.

Ivars
07-15-2005, 03:32 PM

Really? I thought 7 * 3 Ghz processors would provide some massive power.

Edit: Sorry that was OT

membreno-david
07-16-2005, 10:06 PM
You could save a metric crapton of polygons if you made the rows of seats single alpha-mapped planes instead of all the little rectangles you have now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/betterthan.jpg

You must specialize in low-poly modeling eh? Good tip.

membreno-david
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback people, but I really need some pointers on lighting. Give me a shout back if you have any ideas, suggestion or even tutorials. thanks.

SHEPEIRO
07-29-2005, 03:37 PM
right lighting
id go for six rect spots with wide angle placed in ceiling in hex shape probablyh pointing inwards slightly . tou could have more but i would feather the edges alot and use a directional from top down an ambient. each spot should have lightin rig infront with 9 or so modelled lights ,put light source behind these so that its the right size+ remember to deactivate these from castin shadows .
looks nice will look cool with good lighting and a super shiney floor

itsallgoode9
07-31-2005, 06:12 AM
to me it looks like your proportions on your the goal looks way wrong. The rim looks way to bulky and to large for the size of the backboard. also, it seems like it's in the wrong position in general

membreno-david
08-02-2005, 06:35 PM
right lighting
id go for six rect spots with wide angle placed in ceiling in hex shape probablyh pointing inwards slightly . tou could have more but i would feather the edges alot and use a directional from top down an ambient. each spot should have lightin rig infront with 9 or so modelled lights ,put light source behind these so that its the right size+ remember to deactivate these from castin shadows .
looks nice will look cool with good lighting and a super shiney floor

This sounds cool and everything but...HUH? Is there anyway you could simplify that?

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 10:45 AM
erm possibly, what the object or the discription.

kOmoo
08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Very datailed work, but that is alot of polys spend on those rows.

CodeNothing
08-03-2005, 08:29 PM

dead wrong. thanks for playing!

the court looks great. you deffinetly need some lighting (that i know nothing about) and you should look up the official measurements/proportions of a real court and try to match it because the scale of things look a little off to me too.

heavyness
08-04-2005, 12:57 AM
take a look at this... [excuse the low jpg quality...]

http://www.seats3d.com/nba/golden_state_warriors/

i worked there for about 1/2 year and learned a lot from modeling big, huge, complex environments [golden state was one of my last projects]. lighting is a pain!

i would create a directional light pointing straight down [above the ceiling, looking at the court]. now, exclude the ceiling and everything hanging form it. change your viewport to the camera view and render out a jpg [the jpg should be of your arena from the top view]. use that jpg to paint shadows and highlights [black and white only]. now put that jpg into your light [light projector] and you'll get complex lighting with 1 light. [i hope that all made sense]

now go and add more lights for the court [since thats the main attraction] and maybe some negative one up close to the nose bleed seats. while the ones i did weren't for games, i hope you can use the lighting i was taught to help you.

[fun fact #9571 : most arena don't have a row "O"]

membreno-david
08-05-2005, 01:09 AM
..."SHEPEIRO (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=183235)" to answer ur questions...everything you just went over!

membreno-david
08-05-2005, 01:12 AM
..SHEPEIRO (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=183235), honestly, I didnt understand anything you told me to do. hahah i didnt cover that in school.

membreno-david
08-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks alot Kole...that was helpful...and btw, that court you made is tight as hell. How long did it take for you to render it out? To answer some of the questions that some of you have been asking... I don't have any of the measurements to go by. I pretty much just guesstimated everything. I will have to take a look at the hoop again..might have to scale it down just a little..

Keep em coming fellas...thanks for the critique.

heavyness
08-05-2005, 01:25 AM
i didn't do all of it, i did the main structure, someone else did the court, someone else did the seats/stairs/railings [teamwork!]

because we used projection lights [and also projected shadows] not that long at all... maybe 5 minutes a frame?

let me know if you need more help.

also, your backboard is to square, needs to be more rectangle.

http://www.fastdecals.com/images/Decals/Decals%20for%20backboard.jpg

keep up the good work.

membreno-david
08-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Anyone know how to create stadium lights? Do I use photoshop first, model them in Maya? What are the settings? In other words how do you create them from scratch, and create that glare those type of lights produce when you look away from them...Here's a perfect example..see how some lights look less bright than the other ones? i want to recreate that in maya? how?? I would love the help thanks.

membreno-david
08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
...Thanks for the feedback btw!

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.