PDA

View Full Version : prospects in programming

twilightened
07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi,

I have been a programmer on Mainframes. My question is how creative is programming in Maya using ( API , C++), as when compared with any other programming ( business, IT stuff).

BRgds,

Twilightened.

mummey
07-12-2005, 08:41 PM
the best response might be: "Eh"

The creativity is not so much in the programming itself. It is instead about what you plan to do with what you develop for Maya.

Lau83
07-13-2005, 01:09 AM
I think creativity in programming is the way you actually make a program. Creative ways to do certain tasks, functions, routines, etc. Or you could be creative in creating a better user experience for the end-user that uses your software (the ease with which a user in maya can use dynamics or simulation for example).

But creative as in artisticly... no not really. In the end it's still just about crunching numbers and lots of typing, like with any other kind of program.

DaKrunch
07-13-2005, 02:35 AM
a good definition of art is very hard define once for all...

i believe that programming for a database sometimes does need some creativity.

But creating a plugin that simulates in an original way some effect (some shader, some particle animation etc...) has as much art in it as someone painting a picture.

It all goes to... did you implement your own idea or someone else's? in the first case you are an artist and a td. In the second you are "only" a programmer.

as i said... i am aware that this is a very personal opinion on a personal topic :)

shadowMaster
07-16-2005, 12:23 AM
I'd say there is absolutely nothing more creative about programming in Maya versus any other type of programming. The level of creativity depends only on the programmer. But graphics programming is more fun (well, for me at least) because the results are visual and interactive. And you often get to draw, paint, illustrate, model, animate, light, etc., which can also be as creative as you want.

Tlock
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
I would have to say for my simple answer, yes. On the complex side, like the others stated depends on the term creative. If you can make a function work multiple of times faster than ever before that is pretty darn creative. but all you get is a fast report, amazing. But with 3D speed isn't the first and most important, but rather the results. Making a waterfall look real is more inspiring than an invoicing report to me at least cause one day you can see your work in action, unless you get sent a lot of invoices and can say hey look this was made using my fast method. And when was the last time you heard of a guy getting sent to hollywood to help with a movie cause of their database. Programmers are creative ppl by nature which is why a lot of us REALLY understand the meaning of Hacker, i think if you can see others benefit from your work in a visible way, really gives the sense of accomplishment.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.