PDA

View Full Version : animated zombie getting shot

eliwolff
10-25-2002, 12:09 PM
I've been working on tweeking this animation test all night, and I thought maybe a few new pair of eyes would see what it needs to make it better..

it's a divx 5 avi..

http://www.eliwolff.com/animation/zombieDieA.avi

lemme know what'cha think

thanks!

:surprised

jschleifer
10-26-2002, 07:38 AM
I think the zombie needs more of that "Graa!! I'm gonna get ya even though ya shot me!" action.. it's the undead.. it can't be killed by a simple shot in the belly..s o have it react to the bullets, recover, get shot again, keep coming, etc until finally it's blown to bits..

I think that'll help

cheers!
-jason

eliwolff
10-27-2002, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback -- I spent some more time on it -- now the zombie gets back up and keeps on going for the guy.

btw.. since you work for WETA, you've probably met Peter Jackson!? If so, that's really cool -- I loved his zombie movie Braindead!

- eli

Grayscale
10-27-2002, 02:22 AM
Eli,
The only thing that I could really say may need work is the standing up part. He doesn't seem to plant a hand down to help him stand. I know he's the evil dead and all..but I think he could plant one hand down and have him push up that way. May just be me. Very Very Good though. I love it.

:buttrock:

jschleifer
10-27-2002, 02:39 AM
Lookin heaps better.. nice! Try swinging his arms a bit for ballance when he gets hit.. this also helps sell the reaction. For example, when he's getting hit after he gets up the first time.. have the bullet tag him in his left shoulder. This should spin his body around a bit and his left arm should swing back.. then he recovers and gets tagged in the belly.. toss his stomach back & his arms forward.. then he gets hit again, but he's much better at recovering now & can react less and less as he gets closer..

see what I mean? But yeah, it's looking much much better.

and yep, I've met PJ.. he and his "wife" (fran.. they're not married, but they have kids and live together) are an amazing team. very talented, very genuine people.

-jason

Frinsklen
10-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Haha, that's a lot better.

What can I add..
Maybe the most important thing is what Grayscale said about the moment where the zombie stands up in a completely unnatural way... Besides, your animation lacks secondary motion, follow through... you know.
Let's see... once he's up, he doesn't seem to mind the shots much. I mean, there's a first shot where the zombie falls down and then the other shots dont seem to be as strong as the first one... I would have exaggerated the way the zombie is "pulled back" by the shots just before the other guy runs away.
just a thought, of course.

keep animating!

eliwolff
10-28-2002, 12:14 PM
thanks again everyone! Your feedback has been really helpful for me.. So, here's my 3rd version of the anim..

Grayscale and Frinsklen, you were both right on about using the arms to push the zombie up, it seems more realistic now.

And Jason, the arm swinging with the bullet hits was just the ticket! I think I'm starting to kind of get this.. I gotta start working on a new animation right away... I wish I didn't need to sleep or go to my "day job".. :hmm:

- eli

Grayscale
10-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Eli,
Looks really good. Good job on improving the secondary actions. And the standing up is good. Though (and this is just me) I would have him only use one arm to stand, and have him shift to that side. Like planting the right arm and having his left hip be higher up then the right...if that makes sense. Just try standing with one arm and you'll see what I mean. But like I said, that is just me, and it looks really good.
Good Job.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.