PDA

View Full Version : Please! I need help turning my world the right way round

DMack
07-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I've posted this on Lux's forum but got no answer so far....I jut can't believe I am the only person being driven crazy by this!...

How do I get the Coordinates in the quad view to be +ve going right and up, like LW does in 'quad, logo view.....I mean in modo, the top view has +Z pointing up and -X pointing right????? That's just not logical to me....If I look down at an object, I expect right to be +X....I just don't get it......Can someone tell me I am missing something really obvious....or are others just putting up with it???

HELP!

Aegis Prime
07-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Not in my modo it don't :D -X is left, +X is right, +Y is up, -Y is down - the only difference is that Z seems to be the opposite of LightWave (+Z is front, -Z is back) - I think that's by design though I couldn't tell you why. Either delete your modo.cfg to return to the default settings or alternatively check the spin setting under viewport properties - your settings seem to be 180 to mine...

Another thing worth noting is that strange things happen in the ortho views when you're using the workplane - they orientate themselves to match the 'plane not world space (looks like your geometry has moved/rotated).

DMack
07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Andrew....Thanks for the reply....So, how can you change the Z orientation...just seems soooo alien to me?

Anyone?

Has everyone seriously thought that the new -Z pointing up is good??????

PaQ
07-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Did you tried to change the spin value in the Wireframe/Properties ???http://users.skynet.be/am031407/spin.jpg

Phil Lawson
07-12-2005, 05:02 PM
I get the same results as Andrew.

Hopefully Paq's suggestion can fix it for you. :)

DMack
07-12-2005, 05:03 PM
You still can't get what seems to me the most logical setup of, in top view, +Z pointing up screen and +X pointing right....am similarly in all the quad windows....positives pointing Right and Up....

Anyone? I'd quite like to hear from Lux on this one....it just seems too weird.....

c-g
07-12-2005, 05:54 PM
or are others just putting up with it???
HELP!

No, it looks like everyone else can adjust to the fact that Modo has the z axis coming off the screen. LW always seemed backwards since you would be modeling a character while standing behind them. (looking down the +z). Is it really keeping you from sleeping at night? How did you adapt to the other tools Modo had since they are different than LW?

DMack
07-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi c-g,

I sleep well at night....well, my one year old daughter did need some water at 1:00am........I can probably get used to it...it just seems weird, IMO, that a system as configurable as Modo should not let you do it.....When I clone with a positive value, I expect the clones to go UP....it's just the way I see things....yes 7 years of LW has probably entrenched that view but....hey, that's what I'd like.

So when the layout comes out....and you're looking down (top view)....where will you want the +Z pointing....up or down your screen?

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 06:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.