PDA

View Full Version : about ready to give up on understanding texturing

assistant pimp
07-12-2005, 05:08 AM
I am trying to do the simplest of simple texturing jobs to try to teach myself a few things about texturing. Where I am getting hung up is on image mapping and sizing. Ok I just have a box in the shape of a 2x4. And all I want to achieve is to get a semi good looking textured wood similar to the pic below. I cannot get the texture to wrap around and not look stretched no matter what I do. I watched the dvgarage crate excercise many times and I understand the photoshop work and using greyscales to effect certain areas. I just cannot get my images to wrap right from the get go. Please help. I am using the wood textures from cd1 of the 3dtotal texture cds.

mocaw
07-12-2005, 05:25 AM
I am trying to do the simplest of simple texturing jobs to try to teach myself a few things about texturing. Where I am getting hung up is on image mapping and sizing. Ok I just have a box in the shape of a 2x4. And all I want to achieve is to get a semi good looking textured wood similar to the pic below. I cannot get the texture to wrap around and not look stretched no matter what I do. I watched the dvgarage crate excercise many times and I understand the photoshop work and using greyscales to effect certain areas. I just cannot get my images to wrap right from the get go. Please help. I am using the wood textures from cd1 of the 3dtotal texture cds.

Try these things: UV mapping and also try making each side a diffrent texture (select the polygon and hit q) then you'll have more control over the scale of each. I assume you're trying box projection- that can work, but UV will be the way to go in the end.

leigh
07-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Are you using cubic mapping? If so, this could cause squashing and stretching, as would planar projections onto this if you're using a single surface.

Your best bet for that object would be to do an atlas UV map of it, make sure the size ratio in the UV map is correct, and then create the texture in Photoshop, like in the following pic, which took me less than five minutes to do:

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/temp/woodpic.jpg

It could do with some tweaks to make the edges meet up, but that would only take another five minutes or so anyway.

Hope this helps.

assistant pimp
07-12-2005, 05:55 AM
wow, thanks leigh and mocaw. One last question, when you say sizing do I maximize my view then bring a screen cap into ps then match my wood to that? That is a hard thing I am having issues understanding translating PS pixels to what works in LW.

Also so if I do atlas mapping and I was doing like a fence would I do an atlas for each picket and plank. I really appreciate the time you took to illustrate.

leigh
07-12-2005, 06:39 AM
wow, thanks leigh and mocaw. One last question, when you say sizing do I maximize my view then bring a screen cap into ps then match my wood to that? That is a hard thing I am having issues understanding translating PS pixels to what works in LW.

Errmmm... the issue of texture size would take a long paragraph to explain and I am about go to bed, so in short - the idea is that the higher the texture resolution (size), the better the quality. The size of the texture should always be larger than it will appear when rendered. So if the entire object will be rendered at, say, 720x576, the texture should be larger than that. However, if the camera is going to zoom into part of the object, then the entire texture has to be large enough to ensure that any area that is going to be zoomed into will never be at a ratio of higher than 1:1 in terms of the pixel render resolution and the texture resolution. Make sense?

Hah I just forgot that I actually wrote an entire article about texture size here on my site:

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/pdf/size_does_count.pdf

Also so if I do atlas mapping and I was doing like a fence would I do an atlas for each picket and plank. I really appreciate the time you took to illustrate.

Yeah, well the idea behind UV mapping is that it gives you the polys for each object so you don't get weird texture stretching or tearing. So each piece should be represented in the UV map in its own space so that it can have its own texture applied :)

And no problem about the illustration - glad to be of help :)

assistant pimp
07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Leigh

That pdf was a great help to me as was your example.

leigh
07-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Glad to hear it helped!

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.