PDA

View Full Version : Rendering like Matt Clark in LW?

theengram
02-19-2002, 04:36 PM
Hey guys,

First let me say I am new to 3D and Lightwave..so this may sound dumb...

I'm a big fan of Matt Clark's work. Not only his models but I like the way he presents them with his rendering. The way he rendered and presented his pirate in the competition was really cool. (Dumb part) -->It looks like he used global illumination...but I can't seem to achieve that look for some reason. I guess I could ask him...but I know that he uses Max or Brazil. This would be a great look for a project I'm working on at school.

Is this endless, never-ending, cold look achievable using Lightwave?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
the engram

tuna
02-19-2002, 06:45 PM
import a sphere into layout and invert the normals (done in modeler) make sure the sphere covers your mode area (or anywhere you want to illuminate) then in the surpface editor give it a 100% illuminous white. then turn on GI and taadaa a skylight

JacquesD
02-19-2002, 08:18 PM
If I remember well, It runs faster if you just put a plane for the ground, set the backdrop color to white or whatever bright color,
set radiosity to default settings and check the 'shading noise reduction' parameter.

I also use sometimes fog using the backdrop color so that I get a better blend between the ground and the backdrop color.
http://users.skynet.be/fa009830/Atena_Rad.jpg

Mike RB
02-19-2002, 08:35 PM
http://www3.telus.net/paratrooper/goblin.jpg
somthing like that?

Mike

ambassador
02-19-2002, 08:36 PM
Both of those ways take to long,

you can achieve the same effect as dome lighting using a slightly off white background, then use the free "DAYLIGHT" shader on your surfaces. No floor, no dome, faster render.

you can DL the free shader from flay. experiment with the perameters.

JacquesD
02-19-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ambassador
Both of those ways take to long,

you can achieve the same effect as dome lighting using a slightly off white background, then use the free "DAYLIGHT" shader on your surfaces. No floor, no dome, faster render.

I don't want to argue but by the time you open your suface panel and activacte the plugin, I can load my ground object.

you can DL the free shader from flay. experiment with the perameters.

ambassador
02-19-2002, 08:57 PM
nobodys doubting your "loading object speed skills",

but by the time your render is halfway done calculating the bounce light on the floor, I would already have my render.

but if you like to wait, use what you like.

JacquesD
02-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Ambassador:
Ok you're right, forget what I said that's worthless arguments anyway.

theengram
02-20-2002, 03:02 AM
All you guys are awesome...and funny. :)

I will try all the suggestions to see what would work the best with my chracters and story.

Any more suggestions are welcome...I'll try them all.

Thanks again guys.
the engram

Leonard
02-20-2002, 03:46 AM
Also, experiment with Eki Hakka's Skygen scenes - which comes with LW7.

Best,

Leo

ambassador
02-20-2002, 08:37 PM
http://www.lwg3d.org/files/1014222224.jpg

Here is a simple side by side comparison of using a "Daylight" method, and "domelight" method. All the renders use the same amount of passes. The daylight method method is about twice as fast as the domelight method, which is a big difference when your actually rendering something complex, which could mean the difference of a 2 hour render, or a 50 min render.

Plus you have to use a higher number of passes with dome lighting to acount for the noise/grain it creates.

There both good methods, but Having two ways of doing something is better than one.

koop
02-20-2002, 11:45 PM
ambassador:

I can't find that Daylight thingie..

can you post a URL? Thank you :)

clifford
02-21-2002, 05:57 PM
http://katastro.fi/~eetu/daylite/

Vinsoviet
02-21-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by The Ripper
If I remember well, It runs faster if you just put a plane for the ground, set the backdrop color to white or whatever bright color,
set radiosity to default settings and check the 'shading noise reduction' parameter.

I also use sometimes fog using the backdrop color so that I get a better blend between the ground and the backdrop color.
http://users.skynet.be/fa009830/Atena_Rad.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

This worked really well for me, I got the desired effect and the render time was just over 22min. Not too bad, I'll try the other ones too. Good info, thanks guys.

V

policarpo
02-22-2002, 05:32 AM
Vinsoviet and ambassador:

how did you get the soft shadows on these renders using the Daylight shader?

were you using Area Lights?

thanks for the link btw!

-policarpo

JacquesD
02-22-2002, 04:43 PM
You just have to check the shadow noise reduction in the global illumination panel.

ambassador
02-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
ambassador:

how did you get the soft shadows on these renders using the Daylight shader?

were you using Area Lights?

-policarpo

Its used in conjuntion with radiosity, so the lumination that you see comes from the "off white" colored background. No lights, no shading noise reduction necessary.

Vinsoviet
02-22-2002, 10:27 PM
Yeah, broken down it goes like this:

In the light properties box turn the intensity all the way to 0%, then click global illumination, turn on shading noise reduction and radiosity leave settings at default. Match the background color to the light color and render.

This takes a little longer to render but I really like the effect.

V

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.