PDA

View Full Version : EPS with transparency ?

Vympel
07-11-2005, 08:59 PM
How to create EPS with transparency in the Photoshop and or Illustrator? :banghead:

VFX Follower
07-12-2005, 06:29 AM
It's pretty straight forward. Now depending if you are wanting simple vector shapes and text or complicated gradations with complicated transparency could affect the outcome of this process.

The way I have always approached it in Illustrator is:

When creating a new document, I always create and set a crop area. To do this, select the rectangle tool (m) and draw where you want your art work to be contained. After drawing your box and with it still selected, go to - Object > Crop Area > Make. This will convert the box you just made into crop marks. Create your artwork, logo, or type within this box and save away to EPS. Now if you are taking this into Photoshop, just make sure you Place it into your document and the transarency should be preserved.
(Just note when saving your artwork as an EPS inside of Illustrator, make sure transparency is preserved in the EPS Options disalog box.)

In Photoshop:

Depending what version of Photoshop you are running could differ on how this is approached. If you are running ver. 5-7 you can create a new document. Once the new document is open, double-click on the (default) Background layer and rename it to whatever you want. Once this layer is renamed, you can delete its contents to make it transparent. Lock the renamed (transparent) layer and create a new layer on top of it. Create your text or shapes above the bottom layer and save as an EPS. If you have newer versions of Photoshop, like CS or CS2, you are able to create new documents with a transparent background to start with. (Please note that whenever you save EPS content created inside of Photoshop and open it back with Photoshop, your artwork will be Rasterized! Watch your 'save as' dialog boxes for important messages as this.)

CAUTION: If you are going to be creating alot of vactor-based art, logos or text, I would recommend you stick with Illustrator. Illustrator is designed to do this kind of work and it excels at it. I am not knocking Photoshop in anyway, it has powerful vector-based capabilities, but its power to manipulate pixels is where it reigns. Newer versions of Photoshop allow you to do more with vector-based content, but it is primarily a raster-based Program.

I hope this helps you,

JB...

Vympel
07-12-2005, 05:02 PM
I go to try to make here.Thanks for the reply

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 05:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.