PDA

View Full Version : Spider Rigging

Necromancer_841
07-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Hello all, I am currently working on a 6 legged, spider-like character. Looking for a few tips or tutorials on rigging it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

:twisted:

JohnPark
07-11-2005, 09:32 PM
One simple setup that may work for you is to create four-joint chains for each leg (or however many segments your model has) and then use IK rotate plane solvers on them. Nothing fancy, but it will make it fairly simple get the spider walking. A neat trick is to adjust the joint orient on the Z-axis (depending on your orientation) of one of the inner joints in order to tilt the leg out away from the body, while the foot is still planted. You can add an attribute to the foot control that's connected to the joint orient to make it easier on the animator. Also, you'll need to establish a limited range that's acceptable for this channel, or you'll get flipping.
-JP

Necromancer_841
07-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your help Japunto, I will soon have some WIPS to show what I have done.
The demo reel is due Sept.20th for me, so there will be work up very soon!

the_podman
09-10-2005, 01:50 AM
If you are using Maya 7, they have a new "SpringIK" solver that is designed specifically for spider-like legs.

From Maya 7 help on "springIK":

The spring IK solver keeps the angles between joints in its joint chain proportional by applying bias values to those angles. This ensures that the angles between all joints are always evenly distributed. The spring IK solver is similar to the rotate plane IK solver in that both their IK handles have pole vectors. Since the spring IK handle has a pole vector, flipping will occur if the spring IK joint chain crosses its pole vector.

An IK handle using the spring IK solver requires a rest pose. By default, the position and orientation of the target joint chain at the time of the spring IK handle's creation is its rest pose. The distance between the first and last joint of a spring IK joint chain at its rest pose determines if the joint chain is flexed or extended, and influences each individual joint's movement.

bigdovii
09-12-2005, 07:04 AM
This tutorial might help out as well,
http://www.pixero.com/tutorials_spider.html
if you follow it to the tee you might have a few flexibility issues when it comes to animating (such as only walking forward along Z axis, sideways on X)
but it gives you something to start with.

Necromancer_841
09-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey all, Haven't been back to check on the thread for a stretch. But, As you all know the highly anticipated release of Maya 7.0 has finally occured. The_Podman - > I have not had the chance to install Maya 7.0 and test new features. I am still in school and unfortunately tied in to 6.0 until I graduate.
But this new Spring IK would be wonderful for the character I created.
I will be sure to test in October and see what I can do with a new rig setup.
As well, Thank you BigDovil for the URL, That was the RIG I used this time around for my "Spider-Ant" creature.
Thank again for all the help everybody.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2005, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.