PDA

View Full Version : XSI certification questions

icedeyes
10-25-2002, 02:36 AM
Ok... I was browsing the xsi certification pages and wanted to know what these exams where all about... Modelling, animation, texturing,lighting,rendering and compositing skills are test in these certifications??? If not, what is tested??? Is it worth the shot and the money???
Thanks in advance for any replies....

ggg
10-25-2002, 05:07 AM
It has been a long long time since I was certified in Soft 3D when it was much smaller so the actual educational manager was the certifier and things including the software and the delivery of ready made vs your tutorials seems to have changed.

Originally posted by icedeyes
Is it worth the shot and the money???

It really depends on why you want/need certification?

If it is for teaching and your school won't pay for it, work at another school.

If it is to be a technition, your company should pay for that, if they won't, work at another company.

If its not for teaching I am not sure why you would want to do it.

icedeyes
10-25-2002, 02:13 PM
I want the certification mostly for myself (to prove to myself that i do know something and work really hard on something) and then for my school... I have no problem paying $750 or something like that but the problem is that i live over in greece and the amount is multiplied by 2 or 3 if i want to go and give the exams in montreal.... I contacted softimage about the certification and they told me that certification courses take place in Europe also... I hope they do it soon... Any suggestions are welcome.... Any information also....Thanks in advance

ggg
10-25-2002, 04:26 PM
I understand, I just thought that that was a fair bit of money for something that you are mostly contributing too by taking an exam, it does come with extensive learning materials though. Ask them for an address of a few that are recently certified over there to get their feedback. A search for softimage xsi certified will get a few results. Stilll seems lot of money to test yourself, but if you'll use it with your school its a decent addition to the resume.

HapZungLam
10-28-2002, 04:51 PM
my concern is only to get a job. Will it help if i have the certificate as an instructor?

raffael3d
10-28-2002, 06:40 PM
well it shows that you are a very qualified xsi operator. you may also get a job as an xsi instructo.r

ggg
10-28-2002, 06:57 PM
HapZungLam, mostly, only as an xsi instructor

Joel Hooks
10-29-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
my concern is only to get a job. Will it help if i have the certificate as an instructor?

No. Unless you want an instructors position, and even then your demonstrated skills (ie Tape) are all that is going to matter. Why don't you test yourself with a difficult teaser or short film? Seems like a more constructive use of time and money.

HapZungLam
10-29-2002, 06:13 PM
i see what you guys mean now. Being certify is like only an XSI technician. If i want tobe an artist, I still need to put the work on my productions.

ggg
10-29-2002, 09:32 PM
to use your word "technition", (they have technical certification for administrating it which is for support people), for a much higher technical USE of XSI, a Technical Director using XSI would usually need to know a lot more than is required by both types of XSI certification, and they are artists too ;)

HapZungLam
10-31-2002, 11:22 PM
1 more question. I read about their course out line. They mail you the resources, there also has a 3 days trainning. but about what. is that after the tranning, you will have a test? what kind of test.

Main concernt, is it very hard to pass?

I m focusing on only the XSI certificate instructor course.

Is everyone can apply?

ggg
10-31-2002, 11:45 PM
Sorry If I was too subtle I was refering to both types of training, If you are not teaching, the instructor certification can help or even hinder in a job application based on preconceptions some companies have about edu, depending on your reel, ie software teacher vs artists with production experience. If you are going to put so much time and money somewhere I agree with lowdown.

Even for a more "technical" teacher, artists with good reels that showed the ability and interest to absorb new software tools were looked at and invited to interview over the many applicants with ALL the maya certification levels and a more limited demo reel, after all the main goal is getting the students demo reel done.

HapZungLam
11-01-2002, 02:20 PM
I might want tobe an instructor some day. Because i do like to teach. However, this is not my goal at this time, my goal is tobe an animator.

Now i sit for 2 years still won't get a job. So i want to get more ways to explore my future.

I heard that it is not everyone can apply that cource. Is that true? what is the path tobe certify.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.