PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory Troll Model- WIP

DeadBoy
07-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Hey All,

Just wanted to post a few snapshots of the new troll model I'm working on for my new reel. It was modeled in Maya 6, and topped off at about 2550 polys. Any comments/crits are welcomed. I'll hopefully start UV mapping him tomorrow, and then I'll begin the life-swallowing task of adding color, bump, spec, alpha, and displacement maps.

Feedback is appreciated!

DeadBoy
07-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Over 150 views, and no one's got a comment? Come on everyone, don't be shy...

johnwoo
07-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Cool proportions man...but the posture (if not rigged weighted already) could throw up a few problems with deformation..also it's a clean mesh to look at but what my eyes are drawn to is the wide space between his eyes...imo I think he could do with a forehead/skull as the eyelids are too pronounced at present...

gj so far tho'...:)

DeadBoy
07-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the comment, JohnWoo-

As of yet, the model hasn't been rigged or weighted- I save that for last. What kind of deformation problems might arise from his posture? Is it because his back is slightly hunched, or the positioning of the shoulders?

rob-beddall
07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
hey!

i don't think this is the problem that johnwoo mentioned but i have noticed something that might cause you problems.

because the straps on his back are not actually modelled into the back, you might find that when you start animating him that the straps dissappear into the mesh of the back.
Also the fact that the straps are quite thin doesn't help matters here.

I know what johnwoo means about getting deformation errors when rigging from this posture, but i can't really think of a way to explain it.
i'm sure he will be back to explain for you though.

DeadBoy
07-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I was thinking about that after I modeled it, and thought about using influence objects around where the vest is. Would I be able to either:

a) ombine the straps with the back geometry and leavethe front piece as a parented object.

-OR-

b) use a few curves as an influence object to keep the back geometry from passing through the straps?

Would either of these work?

rob-beddall
07-12-2005, 01:14 AM
hey!!

don't think you can use influence objects for game characters, tho i could be wrong.

combining the back straps would work as long as you modelled them into the mesh.

cheers!!

DeadBoy
07-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Thanks, Rob-

I'll give it a try- the only hesitation I have is that I tried a similar approach on another character, and the straps deformed with the rest, along with the buckles that hook the armor together. I have to figure out a way to make sure the buckles don't deform.

Otherwise I may just have to try parenting it and hope pain weights like a champ so that the verts behind the harness are fixed to the back joint.

I'll post more as it progresses, but please keep the crits and ideas coming- I'm hoping to get my reel cracked out soon, so I need this guy to look badass!

TJ

johnwoo
07-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey DeadBoy...

Basically what I meant by deformation problems bos' of the posture is a simple rule that I personally follow with any character/creature I create and that is to model all parts of model in a neutral pose as later on down the line it will make it easier to blend the weighting and to minimise (if not at all) going back and tweaking the mesh...problem areas I see in regards to the issue are:

a) back seems arched or the pelvis is to far back which maycause discrepancies in rotations (depending how active the character is)...

b) also the knees are bent, imho they should be straight, cos' as it stands you have pre-determined deformations as a neutral pose...

c) and lastly the arms could be a little lower....

If the geometry is left as it is you may find it's ok or you may have minor problems...it all depends on you...it's your call...it's just some areas I have seen others make in previous studios I've worked at, and find they are tearing their hair out cos' later on they have problems trying to get a character into a certain pose for a render or keyframe and the model doesn't cope too well...

Hope this helps DeadBoy...:)

DeadBoy
07-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi JohnWoo-

Thanks for the explanation- you're right, the arms ARE spread too wide. A buddy of mine here at work pointed that out as well, so I've tried lowering them a bit (already started UV mapping last night so I'm trying to preserve the layout).

I'm not going to be animating him that much for my demo- I'm not a very skilled animator, and had my last demo burned by decent models and shoddy animation. So he'll most likely be in a basic fighting stance, and a few facial movements to show how he deforms.

I'll see what I can do with the rest of the model in regards to his knees being bent. I have never done a hunched character like this before, so I assumed (incorrectly) that I should model him slightly hunched. Next time I know to model him upright and use the rig to hunch him.

Thanks!!

johnwoo
07-12-2005, 04:17 PM
"use the rig to hunch him".....Exactly!!!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 04:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.