PDA

View Full Version : Jason Lavoie - Low Poly Texturing

Jason-Lavoie
07-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Ok back, here is a new low poly texturing practice (I am almost done the jeep, I will show you soon) but I had to do a model, before I forgot everything... basiclly I just opened 3d max and just did this... its an aqua fighter dude, and yeah :)

http://img103.echo.cx/img103/6773/aquaguypreview9lk.jpg

Tell me what you think :)

Psyk0
07-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I think it looks great!. You might have problems with the pelvis area when you pose him...at least that's the impression i get, maybe it's fine ;). Cant wait to see the texture and use of alpha.

Jason-Lavoie
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
If I was modeling a higher poly model, then yeah, i would definatly make the crouch more... well animating friendly kinda thing. But with a lower poly model, I have seen others, and it seems like everything works well when the crouch is like... connected (like a v) but we will see :)

I am still trying to figure out these damn Alpha maps, no one will help me... and I can't find a tut :(

johnwoo
07-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Hey Jason!!...cool work matey!...proportions look good, and areas for deformation look do-able as far as I can see, and cunning use of the polygons used to cover the crotch imo...just in case...but in al fairness this will really come down to weighting and how you go about texturing the more specific areas that will deform....good stuff man....now back to work...pronto!!!:D...

btw...what problems are you having with alphas??...applying them, viewing them in the viewport (real-time)...or making them?

BakerCo
07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
HERE (http://www.horribledeath.com/tutorial.htm) is a cool tutorial on that sort of thing not suure if it will help but its all I have to go on you didn't give many details.

good job by the way looking forward to seeing your texture work ;)

Lost..

Jason-Lavoie
07-12-2005, 03:15 AM
hey mr. john woo, thanks for the crit. I need help on everything to do with alpha maps, i really need help mkaing them in photoshop, I have NO clue!!

Thanks lostinfaces, I will check that out tommorow.

Ok here is another update... probably my final before I go onto texturing and rigging :)
Ok so I did do a test rig, and everything deformed quite well.. but the groan cloth I had troubles with, but I learnt that I can add bones to biped, so this will help :) :dance:
And this i what I have:
http://img332.echo.cx/img332/7893/aquaguypreview23ds.jpg

johnwoo
07-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey Jason...

I'll break this down as simply as possible for ya...I presume you are using 3dsMax right?

1) create a simple 256x256 texture in photoshop of a solid colour

2) go to the floater window and select channels (if you don't have it visible there go to window -> channels) and it will appear

3) In floater window (the channels tab) there should be a small little arrow to the right in a circle, click on it and go down to "new channel" it will prompt for the new channel which is your alpha (you can rename it later if you so wish)

4) Selecting the eye on RGB will enable your texture and clicking on the eye on the alpha channel will enable that but remember to deselect the RGB before you paint your alpha tho'...:)

Creating an alpha....

5) Enable your alpha and select it (if you have not done so) ...here are the rules in regards to this reply of using alpha's... anything you paint in white on the alpha channel will show up and anything black will will not and and treat grey shades as a gradient...

6) create a pattern for test purposes and save that out as a ".tga" and select 32 bit...24 bit is texture depth and the alpha channel is the 8 bit depth.

7) In 3dsMax now...build a flat polygon, apply planar co-ordinates to it and assign your texture to a material and apply it to the mesh

8) now in the material editor, in diffuse rollout re-create these settings:

a) Diffuse -> Mono:RGB intensity, RGB Channel: RGB and Alpha source: None

and now come out of that to the material editor rollout and go to the opacity slot and drag and copy the diffuse to the opacity slot, then in the opacity slot re-create the following:

b) Opacity->Mono: Alpha, RGB Channel: RGB and Alpha source: Image alpha...

9) now go back to the root of the material editor and select the blue and white checker box to enable the textures in the viewport...and...TADA...

Just in case if it's not showing up, make sure you check your viewport display settings, right click at the bottom right of the screen where the zoom, viewport rotate etc. is and you'll see your viewport settings to the left...make sure it is set to "best" then click ok....TADA!!!

Ok...hope this helps matey...that's my lunch hour gone...LOL:D...I must type faster in future...

Jason-Lavoie
07-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Wow, you gave me your lunch hour... you ARE a nice guy :)

Thanks dude, this actually really helps... but before I start this, do I make (in the alpha channel) what i want to be see through before I color it, or does it matter?

Thanks Mr. John Woo

johnwoo
07-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey Jason...

It's entirely up to you which workflow you choose...personally I tend to create the colour map 1st then create the alpha...

heh...no problem dude...:)

Jason-Lavoie
07-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Yours makes more sense because then you can color what you want (and just leave what you want to be see through) and just outline it in your aplha channels :)

Thanks ya sir

Jason-Lavoie
07-12-2005, 07:33 PM
JOHN WOO I GOT IT TO WORK!!

Yes, alright, i am quite happy now, thank you SOOO much!

johnwoo
07-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Yay!!...the more you practise it the easier it'll become and in a short amount of time it'll become 2nd nature...good news tho' matey :thumbsup:...

I wanna see alpha galore :D...glad I could help tho'...

Jason-Lavoie
07-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Ok so some new updates, I have to re - start the chest area cause I messed up with contrast controls.. but besides that I think I like where this is going :)

I hope you like it... and thanks for everyone who helped me getting these damn alpha maps to work.. you rock!

http://img328.echo.cx/img328/8693/aquaguypreview39nu.jpg

Jason-Lavoie
07-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Ok so as you see here, I changed Aqua Guy into Lizard man, I really need to get back to 1944, so I will try and complete this FAST, i want to rig it and do a couple of poses, and then call this guy done, I learned how to do alpha maps... so I am already happy... and again, I get to rig and animate, so I am learning something there as well... PLUS texturing, I kinda get the hang of detailing a bit... if you get to see my textures up close, you can see how the shadows (with muscels and all that) look a lot better then my other attempts, I still need to learn about anatomy, which is really hurting me right now... but I will try to learn it soon.

http://img203.echo.cx/img203/6355/lizardmanpreview6wu.jpg

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I can finish this soon :)

AdamAtomic
07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Hey jason, its looking pretty good! For the chest and stomach scales, I would try making 3 rows or 1 row, instead of 2 - 2 makes it VERY obvious that the chest texture is mirrored, and the center line is unnaturally dark as it is. It is good that you are hiding the seam, but I would try a more natural approach. The indentations for the ribs look a tad sharp to me too. As far as highlights, I'd try putting your scale pattern OVER the top of the white speculars, it looks odd to see the highlights obscuring both the top and the edge of the scale, if anything I'd think the edges would stand out more in harsh light. Now, this would be kind of a pain to paint, but I would like to see some variation in the scale shape and size, especially across the back and the shoulderblades, I think that could look really cool, get some nice angular boney scales in there...could be really neat! I eagerly await more updates :)

Jason-Lavoie
07-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Ok, I call this done (texturing wise) I know it sucks icky poop, but I want to move on to the rigging phase so I can get back to 1944 :) i feel like I have gotten just a bit better at texturing, which is good to say, cause I really need to work on it.

My next model will be with a normal map on it, cause I need to get use to that as well.

So this is what I have, if anyone can offer crits, I will make sure I remember, so i can touch up on this guy in the future :)

Thanks for all your help and crits!

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7838/lizardmanrender7jt.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6694/lizardmanwire2eh.jpg

BakerCo
07-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I would say thats pretty good. I can't really say much cause i can't skin anything hehe but I definately think this better than some of your older stuff and I am glad to see you improve;)

looking forward to future projects!!

Lost...

Neox
07-17-2005, 08:24 PM
next time try to work with less uv stretching, your texturing skills are getting really good, but you need better unwraps, especially the face is totally blurred because you don't use square pixels, thats a pitty i'd look way better when been overall sharp and clean

Jason-Lavoie
07-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Oh something new, Neox what is square pixels, you mean the brush?

Could you tell me more please, sounds like I am missing out of something that is quite handy, and thanks :)

PhilOsirus
07-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Hey Jason

I think an alpha map for the loin cloth would have been nice, to make it look a bit more shredded. Also, it would have been nice to try and make some brush to paint the scales or a scale-like pattern because the one you have right now is not following the contour of the body. Not a big deal anyway:)

ArchangelTalon
07-18-2005, 02:30 AM
I think by square pixels he means that the UV unwrap is disproportionate to the polys. The unwrap is really wide whereas on the model it's a relatively thin row. Which makes the wide texture squished up on the thin polys.

One thing that stands out (to me at least) is that his neck muscles looks as if they do a 90deg turn and become his collar bones, rather than the muscles disappearing behind the collar bones. I think a little more definition around the neck area would look good.

Neox
07-18-2005, 08:05 AM
well i mean, that the pixels on your model are streched to death, they are not square they are rectangles, espacially on the face, try to you a checker to look how stretched your uvs are, if you don't have one with a pixelgrid on it, use mine :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 08:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.