PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for the next tutorial (or one of the next ones)

DrakeX
07-11-2005, 01:12 AM
This is mostly aimed at Rebecca ;)

I've been following these last two threads (and can't wait for your forum to be created!). Being interested in drawing, I've been trying to practice what you've taught in these two lessons.

I've gotten progressively better at the gesture drawing - I have about four pages filled with gesture figures, and it's pretty cool to look at the first ones, then the most recent ones. However, I've tried to start doing this second lesson - and no matter what I do, I can't get anything to look "natural." I always end up with my curves going ( ). I think I've determined that the problem is just that I really have no clue where the curves are supposed to go.

So, as a suggestion for your next lesson: would you mind teaching about the overall "shape" of the human body? I.e. how the torso is shaped, how it attaches to the arms and legs, the neck, elbows and knees etc. If I knew where the body "dents in" and "bumps out," perhaps I'd be a little more successful in drawing curves that look like they're supposed to.

I did see your list of possible tutorial topics, but I'd hate to be stuck back here on step two when you're moving on to more advanced things!

Rebeccak
07-11-2005, 01:16 AM
DrakeX,

Wow!!! My first customer! :bounce:

I am seriously considering creating two separate threads for GESTURE Drawings ~ one for Beginning GESTURE Drawings, and another for Advanced GESTURE Drawings.

Stay tuned...as I will be getting this sub-forum set up in the next few days to a week with new threads and new information which I hope folks will find useful!

Thank you for your interest, and your post! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
07-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Here is a list of IDEAS FOR THREADS which you should feel free to add on to:

BEGINNING GESTURES
INTERMEDIATE GESTURES
ADVANCED GESTURES

OPPOSING CURVES

(MORE LESSON TOPICS RELATED TO DRAWING WHICH ARE PREPARED BUT NOT YET ANNOUNCED)

ANATOMY STUDIES

FIGURATIVE PAINTING (Woo!)

ANIMAL DRAWING

COMPOSITION

COLOR THEORY

TECHNICAL ISSUES (maybe)

RESOURCES / LINKS

CHALLENGES

Sulla
07-11-2005, 03:17 AM
This is more a question than a sugestion but any way:) Where does coping drawing of the great masters come in? Traditinialy artist would spend a lot of time doing this. By copying the great masters drawing they would perfect there basic skills. Many artist would continue to do this even very late into there life.

Rebeccak
07-11-2005, 03:19 AM
Sulla,

EXCELLENT suggestion for a thread, and one I had tossed around as a thread idea...thank you for reminding me!

~Rebeccak

Hugh-Jass
07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
for this upcoming one
ANATOMY STUDIES

underlying physiology

I think especially younger forum visitors would benefit from some very simple explanation defining .

ligaments , muscle tissue, tendons, fatty tissue, and skeletal system... and how they interact to affect the exterior contours we draw.

I had an excellent ife drawing class in university...each lesson we focused on an area of the body ... homework prior was reproducing/enlarging muscle and skeletal diagrams from anatomy books.. then we applied that to life poses that showed a range of motion of that area. I still use those diagrams today.

With each pose the professor would point out on the model the muscle groups and bones etc...

oh and I can't stess negative space enough as a general thing to keep in your head while drawing

Rebeccak
07-11-2005, 05:53 PM
hugh_jass,

lol, very creative name, there!

Very good suggestions, I think folks are nearly ready to dive into anatomy, so we'll see.

Thank you for the advice, and I hope that you will post your work!

~Rebeccak

DrakeX
07-11-2005, 06:51 PM
What hugh_jass ( ;) ) described is exactly what I'd like to see.

Thanks for the feedback, Rebecca; I'll try to hang out here a lot :) And especially when I get my Tablet PC for college, I'll be around even more! Oooh, tablet..

LouisCho
07-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I would like to become better and better in shade/shadow and light technics on human body.

A huge thank to rebeccak to do it. Rebeccak I love you :love:

FromanylanD
07-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Figure drawing without a reference. Might be good as one of the last few.

EDIT: assuming this turned into a "post your suggestions for future lessons" thread...

PixelFloss
07-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Also it would be nice if there was a lesson about drawing clothes and fabric as they interact with the human body. That's one of my (many) weak points :sad:

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 12:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.