PDA

View Full Version : Afterburn

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

sadghost
07-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Note from forum leader:

As the forum title implies, this is a place to talk about Afterburn. So please do not post anything not related to aburn in this thread.

Thanks and have fun!
Martijn

AFTERBURN THREAD: We need it ! I do ! so can anyone who is good at it please get it started, the world will be a better please if you do ! :bounce:

ok.. could some one tell me how important is :

1.light to afterburn (omni ect..)

2.and how to get after burn to look like smoke/fine sand particles/ water splash

3.when is it proper to use raymarcher and OCTANE shader. (I know that this will not be a rule, but when is it a good choice to used for what type of fx)

4.post picture of what hypersolid is for besides just saying it or writing it

5.what does noise shape parrameters : gain and bias do.. exactly. what are you telling afterburn when you play with those.

5.for an explosion is it better to have a low noise size then make it a lager noise size ?? what are the principles in using : density noise size noise level threshold, lo threshold, mball effect.What are you telling afterburn to do when playing with those settings..

the reason I asked is that the pdf that comes with afterburn does an ok job at explaining those things to you... so before I buy ALLAN MCKAYS DVD http://cg-academy.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Can you tell me what these settings do and what are some just some of the resons to tweek them like this and like that. thanks!!!

SO FAR Ifound these sites :
http://www.wonderslime.com/main.html

frankco
07-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi sadghost,

What a great idea. This thread would give us a place to exchange info on Afterburn. Afterburn is the one "must have" plug-ins for 3D Max. Discreet should buy the rights and add it to Max!

Here's my input.

Step Size:
Creating a huge scene with lots of smoke or dust? Increase the Step Size to cut down on render times. The Step Size will determine how much detail will show in the Afterburn particle. With a large scene and large particles you won't need as much detail as you would with a smaller scene and up close to the smoke or dust. The step size is calculated in Max units and tells Afterburn how many slices of detail it will put in a particle. Lowering the number gives you more detail, which, at first, is counter intuitive to me. But thinking about it the number is telling you what size the slice is. So smaller is more defined. In the help file it gives an example of the different settings. For an example a setting of .125 gives a lot of detail in a puff. A setting of 6 means that only six slices will be made and produces less detail.

Lighting:
The best way to control the colors of Afterburn particles for glowly effects is through lighting and not in the Afterburn Manager. Although controlling the color in the Manager is good for coloring the smoke or dust, for glows you can control the brightness and color variations with lighting easily. Say for a rocket engine, link a spot light to the PF source. Now you can turn up the multiplier, adjust the attenuation and color for the initial blast, turn down the multiplier, adjust the attenuation and the color after the rocket gets moving. In the initial blast you can blow out, over expose, color the smoke to make a real cool bright fiery effect. Every property of the light can be animated. Just remember to add Afterburn Shadows to your lights in the command panel for better detail.

Coloring with AB Manager:

The color for AB puffs can be controlled by adjusting the color parameters in the AB Manager.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/partColor_01aa.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/partColor_01a.jpg
The color can change depending on what varible you choose.

Shaders:
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/ray_oct.jpg

The Octane shader:
The Octane shader should be your first choice when you are creating very fine, transparent particles like dust. The Octane shader doesn't produce good shadows and details but, does a better job at creating transparrent particles. Shadows will be pixilated with Octane, but with very fine particles there isn't a need for shadows and it is 10 times faster than Raymarcher. While Raymarcher is better at shadows and details, it is just to slow for creating a lot of fine particles.

A great way to test the settings in AB is to create P-Flow source with 1 particle and zero speed. Add it to AB and place it in front of a camer. Adust the settings in AB and render to see what happens.

AFC:
The Afterburn Flow Control allows you to animate the properties of the Afterburn particles. If you right click on the AFC button and choose enable the next time you click on it the AFC button the AFC graph will open. One import thing to note about the AFC:

If your animation is anything other than 100 key frames in length, the AFC timeline graph will not match your animation, assuming you are using it with P-Flow. The default length for the timeline in the AFC is 100 key frames. If you want the AFC graph and P-Flow animations to match, you have to set the Part Life value in the Particle Properties section located at the top of the Afterburn Manager.

Part Life value determines the life of the particle only if you click the "use" button otherwise, it only sets the AFC graphs. This can really throw you off when trying to match your animation using the AFC graph and events in P-Flow. If you do this and things still don't seem to be happening the way you think they should, you should also check to see if you have a delete operator in P-Flow. This will comunicate the life of a particle to AB.

Noise shape parameters:
There are areas of brightness and darkness within a particle or puff. The bright areas will render smoke or dust. The dark areas are transparent and will not render anything. The size of those areas are controlled by noise size.

Gain will increase or decrease the contrast between the whitest and darkess areas within an Afterburn puff.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/tendril_01a.jpg

Increasing the Gain will increase the density of the "pieces" within a single puff. The number of pieces in a puff is determined by the noise size and levels. Of course, the density setting will also determine how dense a puff is too. You can use the denisty, Bias and Gain to adjust the total density of a particle.

Bias will increase decrease the level of brightness within the AB puff and hence increase the density. It will also increase the "smoothness" of a puff.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/tendril_02a.jpg

Note: The more you lower Gain the more even the smoke or dust will become. The default is .5 for the Gain and .5 for the Bias which creates somewhat of a soomth puff. If you lower the Gain more, the puff will start to lose any definition and become completely smooth

The more you increase the difference between the Gain and Bias, raising the Gain, the more you increase the difference between the light and dark areas and the more "spotty" the smoke or dust will become. The wisps within the smoke or dust become more noticeable.

Phase:
When you are animating billowy clouds or fast moving jet exhaust you should adjust the Phase in the Noise Animation Parameters accordingly. Adjusting the Phase will animate the noise within the Afterburn puff or particle.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/phase.jpg
You should enable the AFC for Phase. Set the low number to zero and the high for the amount of Phase you want.

For fast moving smoke like jet exhaust, you would need to adjust the high Phase value to more than once per key frame of animation. Example if you have an animation of a jet exhaust 200 key frames in length, you would adjust the Phase to 200+. This gives the smoke a lot of interior movement. Clouds would need a smaller Phase as they generally have slower interior movements. You can also use the AFC to increase or decrease the Phase in time.

Okay anyone else?
frankco

sadghost
07-06-2005, 02:11 AM
well I'm very happy that you wrote this.. I don't think that I'm a slow persone , it's just that I hate it when I get what I feel is a vague .pdf user manual.. I want more explanation .. what if I didn't have the net ?
I shouldn't have to wait for someone to come up with a dvd tutorial in oder for me to get a deeper understanding of someting that I bought (Altough I understand that some times that's needed) mr Allan Mckay is exempt from this :-)
ANYWAY no more crying for Mr Sadghost I'ved learned alot about AB in a week and I feel like I made a good choice with this plugin:applause:

I'ved downloaded your post to look at when I'm working ,without having to go to the .pdf thanks.. let's burn this mother $#@% shall wee !? :buttrock:

SoLiTuDe
07-06-2005, 04:24 AM
hehe... why didn't i think of this? ...*will read thread in a few minutes then possibly reply with something more productive* I think we should move this to the Resources forum though

SoLiTuDe
07-06-2005, 06:49 AM
I hate to say it, but the cebas pyrocluster manual seems to explain what's going on a lot better... I do feel that it was occasionally easier to get the result with pyrocluster.... though I still feel afterburn is superior (in terms of options n such). Anywho my point is that the help file for pyro cluster helped me learn a lot about afterburn, so it might be worth looking at d/ling a demo version with a help file. It lacks tutorials... i think... but it comes with come good example files also.

frankco
07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi SoLiTuDe,

Thanks for the tip. I'll download a trial and look at the help files.

I agree with sadghost about the Afterburn help files. They're okay but it would be nice if they contained more indepth info. Actually their definition of Part Life in the help file is missleading and it's things like that that make it difficult for new users to get a handle on what the settings are doing. It wasn't until I watched Allan McKay's and Andy Murdock's DVDs that things started to make sense. Of course, maybe that's just me.

I really have to plug Andy Murdock's DVD. If you have $29.95 US to spare it's worth getting. He's a master when it comes to Afterburn. I have never seen anyone come close to his AB effects. He spends a great deal of time experimenting with AB. He goes through every setting in Afterburn to find out what it does. He's been doing this for years. I guess when you think about it, it's kind of humbling. I'm compaining about manuals and he's doing brilliant things on his own. Maybe there is more to his DVD than just the tutorials.

Anyway I still think this is a great idea to share info on AB.
frankco

SoLiTuDe
07-06-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah andy is a badass... i'll pick up his dvds when i get some extra cash.... I can't wait to see volume 3. :)

As for the pyrocluster help file... it was great for me when trying to figure out the whole "colors" thing. It made more sense to me the first time I read it....

What is Position doing?

As soon as more than one color is active, a position for the color needs to be defined. As described in the chapter about the volume tracer and how it works, each pyrocluster bounding volume is sampled in space to get the correct color and noise value. There are three possible positions to define a fixed color in the pyrocluster volume space.

1.) the outer shell

2.) the center of the bounding volume

3.) the middle position between center and outer shell of the bounding volume.

The color setup shown below, was used to render the illustration sequence of 3 images were the position of the red color changes from 0.0 to 0.6.

Note: A position of 1.0 defines a point on the outer shell of the bounding volume. Position 0.0 defines the center of the pyrocluster bounding volume while 0.5 is the exact middle position between outer shell and center.

Color Change by Density

Changing the color of the volumetric rendering effect by density can create easily a special look and might even offer more control over the outcome of the final rendering. By choosing Density as the Color Mixing method, pyrocluster will use the gathered density values of the noise function to define the color that is to be used to draw the volume effect.

A pure white color in the noise function will correspond to the color position value 1.0 while a black color in the noise function (can be easily seen in the noise preview window) will correspond to the color position 0.0.

*THIS HELPED ME OUT TONS!* Important,

The density value of the noise or the overall density in the volume created by adding multiple bounding volumes does not play any role in coloring the volume effect with the density function. The only thing that counts is the density value created by the noise function alone!

Also take a look at the volume tracer section in the help file... helps understanding the whole "step size" thing a lot more too!

...Funny how they're very alike...

sadghost
07-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Where did you guys download the trial of pyrocluster from .. I whenT turbo squid and cebas website didn't find a download link....

sadghost
07-09-2005, 01:35 AM
:) hey guys I need to slow down a volcano after it erupted , THe particles that I'm using are spitting out too fast how can I sloow fire and smoke down alot .. to make it look like a slow motion eruption...well not eruption but too look like it's not moving like a jet trail !

frankco
07-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi sadghost,

Put a drag force in your scene. In the command panel you may want to select Spherical Damping. In Particle Flow add a Force operator after the Speed and adjust its value. Add your drag force to the Force operator add "By List". If your particles are traveling very fast you'll have to increase the drag. On the Influence choose Sync By Particle age. The "older" the age the slower they'll get. Play around with the strength until you get the results you want.

Also, try putting a Keep Apart force in PF after the position. This will spread the particles apart making a puffier cloud. Adjust the settings and watch the cloud grow.

On the Speed operator in Particle Flow adjust the divergence angle. This tells the particle emitter to spread the angle of the particle stream. Instead of all the particles coming out in a straight path, the stream will start to spread. A divergence of 10 will mean the particles will come out of the emitter at a 10 degree spray.

Right before the Display in Particle Flow put a delete operator. This tells Afterburn how long the particles will live. You can set the delete operators time to more that your animation if you want the particles to stay around during your whole animation. Remember to change the Part Life in Afterburn to the length of your animation.

SoLiTuDe, Thanks for the good info!

Hey man, I checked out your photos in your gallery. WOW! Awesome!

frankco

SoLiTuDe
07-09-2005, 04:02 PM
SoLiTuDe, Thanks for the good info!

Hey man, I checked out your photos in your gallery. WOW! Awesome!

frankco

Hey thanks! Which gallery??? My Temp one? I put up a new website that i haven't finished yet... so all my pics are on my isp webspace... surprised anybody even looked at it. :D And i didn't know it was still in my profile... mehhh... whatever works hehe...

...I woulda done that volcano the exact same way... The book by pete draper does a good job on this, and combined with afterburn it would be twice as good

sadghost
07-10-2005, 06:19 PM
cool I'll give it a try... I might need to invest in a new video card.. cause AB is slow for me at times even when I use like only 10 particles to emit.

amckay
07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah Andy Murdocks dvd's definitely are great for their price, I've bought both purely because of how cheap they are, still haven't had a chance to actually watch them yet mind you ; ) but from what I had a look at they really are a great resource.

Pyrocluster up until 3 has been pretty useless although 3 was a complete rewrite and during it's early alpha stages interface wise wasn't that great although it's made large leaps to better itself. I still think AB's better in a lot of ways although there are things in pyro that do stand out as being far better and easier to use at times. Although you will find that particle raymcher shaders are going to become quite out of date pretty soon as a lot of new technology is being developed that really stamps how old particles are in a lot of ways when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Great to see an AB thread hope it expands into a big resource!

SoLiTuDe
07-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks Martijn Appreciate the move of the thread -- suggested that early on :)

Nice to see you're still alive, Allan -- haven't heard much from ya lately! The only thing i liked about Pyro better was the viewport preview -- kicked butt, though the preview window in ab does a good enuf job. Only reason I mentioned it was mainly because it's Ab's only competitor, and it has a nice help file =)

Anywho... when u say raymarchers are going to be out of date soon, are you talking about that voxel whatnotwhoositcalled stuff? Like the way Aura renders particles n the likes? Or are you talking about something else we should know about??! Hook it up with some info! What's on the horizon for cool effects (that will go public!)

Hope you'll be a big part of the thread, since your pics are the majority of the examples in the help files, and you're the particle master anyway...

amckay
07-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah been offline a bit lately, been down in Sydney on set for a Kevin Spacey film, and then shifting between North Au and Canada so been a bit stressful lately.

Yeah the viewport preview is kind of neat, I guess when you use AB for long enough you kind of already can visualize how it will look so you don't need it, but during the initial stages it's definitely quite helpful.

cebas gets on my nerves purely since they're just so competitive against AB and other systems. For the last 5 years they've never supported TP and Afterburn, purely because Pyro exsists, which is pretty imature in a lot of ways. But meh all good.

Yeah fluids are the future, and fluid driven particles. I'll just say 'like aura' and maya fluids, there's lots of cool stuff in all areas of max being pushed lately but I think for fx that'll be a big piece. Not to say particles aren't going to be around forever, but for a large majority of rendering volumetric effects, fluids are the shiizit.

feldy
07-11-2005, 05:21 PM
hey allan

I hope your not refering to flood. becasue if they never release it to the plubic. we still will be stuck with ab and pryo and stuff. since your in sydney that means the work on superman is done?

SoLiTuDe
07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
even if he is referring to flood, somebody else may potentially end up releasing stuff like it a lot of ways to the public (think a little bit of aura with a little bit of glu with a little bit of realflow, with a little bit of maya) Now, if fluids are "the future" how controllable are they and such in the same way particles are now? In terms of even driven, why would we want to use a fluid system to control anything, if we want something "physically" impossible??
But either way -- what different ways of shading are there? I don't understand the way aura/maya fluids renders their effects.. and how that works. I get afterburn and pyro, but aura went right over my head, and I don't have enough time playing with maya's effects or maya for that matter to get a clue on any of it.

Back to afterburn though -- let's start talking about some of the different ways to create an explosion (good place to start, since afterburn kicks butt at it). Does anybody have some basic footage that we could use as a background plate to throw an explosion in?? I figure that will make more sense than just having an explosion on a blank background.
Lets come up with some ideas that we can all work on to make some cool effects and learn from each other....

frankco
07-17-2005, 02:51 AM
First I have to say HI Allan!

What a treat to have you post on this tread. Your DVD, Afterburn Fundamentals, is terrific. The DVD and all of your online tutorials have really helped me out. Thank you.

Okay, back to Afterburn....

SoLiTuDe good idea. I'll throw some stuff out for ideas.

Here's some reference picts.
http://www.hnd.usace.army.mil/pao/CEAInfo/CEA2.jpg
http://www.webmutants.com/strategypage/9000_up_in_smoke.jpg

Video clips
http://www.webmutants.com/strategypage/bunker_buster_demo.mpeg
http://www.efootage.com/view_clip.php?clip_id=16838

rockets
http://www.webmutants.com/strategypage/mlrs_firing.jpg

This would be interesting to reproduce
http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/blasts/mpeg/jun1695.mpg
http://www.webmutants.com/strategypage/sand_storm_1.jpg

For the images and videos at webmutants.com, you might get a 404 page not found. Just hit refresh and it should appear. Weird.

frankco

SoLiTuDe
07-17-2005, 05:55 AM
sweet man -- amazing stuff. would hate to be under any of those! I'll start playing around asap... hopefully i'll actually make something cool.

Thanx a ton for the links!

frankco
07-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I think I'll try the bunker buster. Seems like a real challenge.

video
http://www.webmutants.com/strategyp...uster_demo.mpeg

reference screen shots

01 the drop - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/01_drop.jpg
02 contact - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/02_contact.jpg
03 penitrate - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/03_penitrate.jpg
04 all the way through - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/04_through.jpg
05 explode start - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/05_explodeStart.jpg
explode start 02 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/06_explodeStart_02.jpg
explode start 03 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/06_explodeStart_03.jpg
explode start 04 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/06_explodeStart_04.jpg
explode start 05 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/07_explodeStart_05.jpg
explode 06 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/07_explodeStart_06.jpg
explode 07 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/07_explodeStart_07.jpg
explode 08 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/07_explodeStart_08.jpg
explode 09 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/07_explodeStart_09.jpg
explode end 10 - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/07_explodeStart_10.jpg

zip file, contains all images - http://www.geocities.com/francot2/bbimages.zip

* I'll have to move these files. It looks like the bandwidth is very limited.

sadghost
07-17-2005, 05:56 PM
nice franko here's my 2 cent just pics (zip) :

http://www.zvis.com/nuclear/nukimgs.shtml

amckay
07-18-2005, 09:08 PM
feldy - no.. the 'flying man in tights' is far from done - I just seem to be in a tug of war between several countries :) In Canada and Aus back and forth a lot right now.

Flood ... wasn't referring to flood, there's a lot of other cool stuff coming otu for max soon. it'll be xmas all year round ;)

franko - glad I can help :)

SoLiTuDe
07-18-2005, 10:47 PM
...can't wait then to see what comes out... I know oleg is workin on some spiffy stuff... Not flood is fine... but anything cool makes me happy! Can't wait to see what comes out!

whtnoise
07-19-2005, 04:42 PM
hey allan, i'm guessin you're seein my brother down there too? give'm a swift kick in the pants for me http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif

cheers on the ab thread! hope it proves to be as invaluble as the mr and pflow threads did http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

amckay
07-19-2005, 04:59 PM
hey man who's your bro?

in canada right now... learning the valuable lesson of if you get invited to some 18 year old girls place on a monday night for a party ... NOT TO GO... else you'll get home at 7 in the morning drunk as **** and have to start work an hour later :)

my friggin head!

SoLiTuDe
07-19-2005, 06:14 PM
lol... that's why you're so cool, allan. Now... you DID check her license, right??? You sure she was 18!?!?

whtnoise
07-19-2005, 07:00 PM
allan, i sent ya a pm dude...

charleyc
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
this already looks like it will be a great thread.
Here is a reference site that many of you probably already have,but...
http://www.groundzerofx.com/index2.htm

4th line down there is a link for Anatomy of an Explosion.

amckay
07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
think I was still drunk when I made that post :) most uneventful day at work in history...

I'll start trying to add some stuff to this thread, fwiw ab can be used for a lot of stuff, I tend to use it a lot for liquid if nothing fancy is happening as the metaballs are much faster than blobmesh, and work quite well. It's also great for doing large floods and splashes etc. As it can create nice volumetrics of large gushing water receiving light, so there's other stuff its useful for rather than just smoke and explosions.

sadghost
07-19-2005, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE]
I tend to use it a lot for liquid if nothing fancy is happening as the metaballs are much faster than blobmesh, and work quite well. It's also great for doing large floods and splashes etc. As it can create nice volumetrics of large gushing water receiving light, so there's other stuff its useful for rather than just smoke and explosions.

really ? is that in your AB DVD ?
Sounds cool I didn't know that after Burn did all that?
hey Allan I sent you a little something in a e-mail did you get as chance to view it,it's from:
sadghost7@gmail.com
let me know !

On a side note I received your DVD this past monday (the same monday you got drunk) :beer: , and I did a few things with Pflow while watching your ADVANCED VFX nothing to exiting just experimenting with the wind spinners like (turbulence-frequency-scale...my god these 3 guys are soooo powerfull,specially SCALE !! )...I'll post on Pflow thread next week or sooner...like I said nothing major at all. thanks !

amckay
07-19-2005, 11:53 PM
yeah I believe I get into some liquid stuff with AB

Yeah sorry backed up on email right now - cool stuff very nice work!

That's great to hear you're getting the most out of the DVD, yeah lots you can do with it. Awesome!

-Allan

feldy
07-20-2005, 04:42 AM
Iam still waiting for your next dvd allan. as for liquid stuff with ab ill have to give it a try Ive been doing all my liquid stuff with glue still. although is it possible to use more than one node in glue to do the sim? also as u say cool things it better be syflex I talked with those guys last year about it for max and they said soon. I just got my lic for tp the other day. I need to sit down and learn it. I think the vids that come with it are pretty shitty i think maybe you can do some things with it and post it sometime allan.

amckay
07-20-2005, 08:34 PM
yeah the vids that come with it are shitty :)

I was going to do some stuff for it when TS were releasing it but they told me not to waste my time. TP's good but noone uses it. It definitely is a bit of a learning curve, still it is quite powerful. my dvd'll be another 5 weeks I'd say, I was going to have the harddisk that it's on flown over to canada from australia but I just don't have the time right now so I'll just wait until I'm back and release it then. It'll be worth the wait, might also release a trailer for it or something so you can see a bit of what's on it etc.

glu's cool, using it right now for a music video I'm working on, mixing it with some pflow stuff and scripts.

feldy
07-20-2005, 08:38 PM
what about useing 2 nodes to do the sims for glue? you ever done it. Ive never seen the option for it. also mixing 2 luiquids i havent been able to do either. Im still useing a old build becasue a lot of old stuff wont load into the new builds wich sucks. Im starting to think i wasted a bunch of money into tp but you never know. I know it was used in Final destanation 2 and blade 3. but thats about it I never heard it being used anywhere else.

zad
07-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Hi all, i posted this thread elsewere and i was told about this ABurn thread by Sadghost, so Cheers:thumbsup:

Hi guys, have a problem when im rendering out after burn octane shader. i have attached 2 screen shots that show the problem i am having. In the afterburn_01 i have got 2 yellow arrows pointing towards a clear circle in the dust. these have been coming up all through the render and i dont know what it is from. Does any one have and idea hoe to fix this.

I was givin some advise by Chris THomas:
Erm, I'm not sure of the exact paramater name, but it looks like you don't have enough "Falloff" towards transparency at the edges of your AB smoke puffs. This is making the fractal to visible there, and is showing up as circular artifacts. Try an increase the falloff, and that should help?

Any more suggestions guys

PS _ Nice to know that info on the AFC controls and key frames i have been pulling my hair out thinking i was doing something wrong. Awesome

amckay
07-22-2005, 10:18 PM
TP is a great plugin... although a bitch to use, and nobody out there uses it. So it's a waste of an investment since there are next to no studios out there who support it. So the amount of time you spend learning it won't really be acknowledged anywhere.
It's like spending 100 hours in a week working on something for crap pay that noone is going to ever see...

Particles are particles, the stuff we did on blade 3 was cool but it's not like it couldn't be done in any other particle system out there. But TP is still a very stable system so we didn't need to worry about it bugging out or anything... unless someone installed unstable builds on the network that screwed everyone's shots up... *cough* ..

in regards to glu - yeah you can mix two fluids together... you get your two emitters and have them listed in the one glu source... I'm doing something similiar for a shot for a music video I'm working on where seven pools of blood shift across a room and all merge into one source.

SoLiTuDe
07-22-2005, 11:37 PM
TP is a great plugin... although a bitch to use, and nobody out there uses it. So it's a waste of an investment since there are next to no studios out there who support it. So the amount of time you spend learning it won't really be acknowledged anywhere.
It's like spending 100 hours in a week working on something for crap pay that noone is going to ever see...

...Amazing how many times I've heard you say that now...

frankco
07-24-2005, 12:44 AM
Hey SoLiTuDe,

I put together the bunker buster scene and just started to add some AB effects. I'm trying to create the part where the bomb just starts to explode.

small
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/test_001_small.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/test_01_small.jpg

large
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/test_001.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/test_01.jpg

frankco

amckay
07-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Solitude it's amazing how many times people commend on the whole tp thing, so yeah I keep relaying the same thing back

SoLiTuDe
07-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Heh... I think i've got it imbedded in my brain now, but yeah, the interface is definetly whacked (worse than lightwave! hehe) If I have to learn it in the future I know I won't have too much trouble, but since pftools box 2 is on it way (eventually) I don't think there will be a need for it at all ... things like fragments and such are pretty cool, and some other good stuff, but after pftools #2 comes out i think we'll all be in happy heaven.

Hey frankco... great start... can't wait to start seeing more of it. On the test 01 (not the 001) All i can say it that the lighting seems a bit bright (for not so much explsion)... try using the attenuation on the lights to animate it's reach, and also animate the multiplier to match as needed. Def. on the right path though... if there were more particles, and more explosion (looking at the ref. footage) the brightness goes up quick, so maybe i'm wrong... but anywho. Good work. Did you grab a frame from the original to make that scene?

zad
07-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Does any one here know about afterburn (Allan i brought your dvd, so i know u have a good understanding of it) if so i really could use some feedback on any ideas for the bubbles i am getting in my scenes, tried a couple of things over the weekend like changing the falloff and stepsize etc but it doesnt seem to help, not sure what it could be. ANYONE :):banghead:

PS Good stuff franco

zad
07-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi guys, here is a couple more shots from the same scene with similar trouble.

SoLiTuDe
07-25-2005, 01:29 AM
adding density falloff by radius to linear will help, because it will make the edge fade a little so they blend nicer. and also making sure that your noise isn't fully white (second image) might be the issue. what it looks like to me is that your aburn sphere's are too "puffy" so try adding a few more particles to that first pic and maybe change the aburn sphere size (bigger), and on the second one make the noise high and low a little more even (if changed) (not so white and full, as it will make the aburn sphere's very... full and spherey) also change the noise size to be a bit bigger also

zad
07-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanx solitude, ill give them ago tonight and let ya know.

cheers:thumbsup:

SoLiTuDe
07-25-2005, 01:49 AM
coo -- good luck... i'm no pro, but that's what it looks like to me, so I hope it works. If not, post some screens of your settings and/or post the scene and we can take a look

frankco
07-25-2005, 03:01 AM
Hey SoLiTuD, thanks for the input.

Yeah, the lighting is a little screwy. Too yellow. I'm playing with the color and attenuation. I'll animate this over time. I've got to study the footage more myself. I have to remember what Peter Draper said about time spent on modeling in his book Deconstructing the Elements, "90% studying and 10% modeling". I'll have to have that tattooed on my forehead.

I'm trying to break down the video in small sections and produce the same effect for each part. Hoping that when I put it all together it will resemble the real blast.

The dirt splatter on the top of the bunker:
I know I have too many rocks flying out. I'll adjust that.
I increased the auto stretch on the velocity for the dirt coming out of the top of the bunker. I increase it to 70,(speed 26.). This gave the dirt a nice fast motion look to it but, it's too uniform in shape. In the footage the dirt at the top spreads out in an uneven fashion, kind of a splatter. I'm not sure how to do that. I'll try and play around with a space warp. Any suggestions?

The intial blast:
The explosion inside the bunker at the beginning is just a bright flash that travels up the dirt trail to the roof of the bunker. This is just after the bunker buster penetrates the roof and hits the ground inside.

I'm trying the Octane shader for all of the blast pieces. I'm supprised how little noise is at the begining of the explosion. If you look at the footage the intial blast is very smooth, no streching of particles either. Almost a solid mass. I had to increase the bias and decrease the noise levels to make the intial blast smooth. I've turn the density down to .08. I also had to set the variation in speed to a very low number, as all of the particles at this point are traveling close to the same speed.

For the background I just put a bitmap from the video on a plane. My terrain skills aren't very good. That sounds like another thread coming soon!

Far from getting it right. I still need a lot of tweaking to do.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/try_02.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/intialBlast.jpg

SoLiTuDe
07-25-2005, 03:20 AM
For the dirt splatter-- try playing with the variation/divergence settings of the birth/spawning (? however you have it set up) Also try adding a wind force with 0 strength and some turb so that it sprays out a little more randomly...?

frankco
07-25-2005, 05:52 PM
cnn.com news today
"Large dust cloud heads to U.S."
Is that you SoLiTuDe?
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/satellite.jpg

For the spatter I ended up creating two extra PFlow sources that point at 45 degrees up, facing away from each other. It seems I'll have more control over the size, shape and direction of the splatter. There's probably a better way, but this works. I'll play around with the settings to get more of a solid dust look.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/try_03.jpg

frankco

DeKo-LT
07-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I have problem when render Afterburn animation scene with backburner(with 5 machines). I see flickering and puff's dissapearing on some frames... :sad:. When i render same scene with 1 machine everything seems OK. I don't know, maybe Afterburn animation must be render ONLY with one machine???

Plzz HELP! :sad:

SoLiTuDe
07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
hmm... haven't tried it yet -- i'll give it a go when I come home.

amckay
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
zad check out that scion thing on my site
I used a mixture of really opaque afterburn with small noise size and also metaparticles to get bubbles to work. Bubbles are a bitch, everyone thinks you use sprites or spheres, they're really lots of layers of layers of metaballs a lot of the time, layers I mean like sets so they're not all one big mesh, so you get them crossing into eachother. Had to do heaps for a pilot for the new mcguyver tv series like three years ago.. which obviously didn't ever get picked up.

I'll try and make an example sometime, but if you're going to use metaparticles, use pwrapper from glu3d guys, blobmesh is dog slow. But Afterburn's great too with hypermesh, just don't expect to refract or you'll kill your machine (volumetric refraction (!!) ).

-AM

RE: Bridge sequence, got a PM from someone asking me to reply to this, been killer busy lately.. you still need feedback? Apparently my mates old boss had something to do with filming that sequence? Or so he says.. got him looking over my shoulder saying his boss had something to dow ith the footage of that explosion... I have no idea what that monkey's on about but anyway :P

zad
07-27-2005, 12:36 AM
After going through all the settings in AB, i finally see what is happening(isnt that always
the way). the Dust looks fine in the light or out of the light(in the shadows) but when it crosses that threshold the bubbles appear. I am using AB raytrace shadows.
I will be trying to figure this out tonight so if anyone has any thoughts id like to try them.

Cheers:thumbsup:

Back again guys, did some testing and found that using AB Shadow maps got rid of the transparent bubbles.
So ill do some more tests to night to make sure it hasnt taken away any of my detail.
Im not sure why this would be, has any thoughts on why this is id luv to hear them.

Yipeee:thumbsup: :bounce:

SoLiTuDe
07-28-2005, 04:39 AM
I have problem when render Afterburn animation scene with backburner(with 5 machines). I see flickering and puff's dissapearing on some frames... :sad:. When i render same scene with 1 machine everything seems OK. I don't know, maybe Afterburn animation must be render ONLY with one machine???

Plzz HELP! :sad:

I didn't have any problems with it -- only running 2 machines, but it worked fine. Make sure they're all installed correctly/same version? Contact sitni sati/afterworks and see what they say on their forum maybe?

g8ff
07-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Make sure you have the patch for 3.1 or are running 3.2

3.1 had an issue with some random noise generation when used in conjunction with Pflow rendering across a network, which results in this flickering problem. Kresimir has a patch for 3.1, and the issue was resolved with 3.2

G

DeKo-LT
07-29-2005, 09:06 AM
A big Thanks, guys, i will check versions and try again! ;)

Is the a difference when use 'normal' NET rendering or render with a "split scanline" option?
flickering i have on 'normal'.... Now i try with a "split scanline"...

Anyway thanks! :beer:

sadghost
08-09-2005, 02:17 AM
More reference http://www.finalight.com/-/

sadghost
08-15-2005, 11:36 PM
great work frankco (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=63823) with the images on page 1 :thumbsup:

frankco
08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks sadghost!

I got to play with AB this weekend.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/try_04.jpg

I'm working just on the top splatter, playing around with coloring, bias, gain and different approches to re-creating it. I found the splatter, let alone the rest of the explosion, to be a very complicated mess and enough to keep me busy. Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

frankco

sadghost
08-17-2005, 12:16 AM
WELL THE DIRT MOVEMENT LOOKS great to me, it seems that there's a little bit more darker gray on the original footage.. but yours looks good..are you trying to replicate the original picture exactly ..? yours looks good . may be a little too much uniformity in the way it flows outward..

And also I think that I see a little bit of red on the original first penetration being that it pierced a hole ..it seems that a red flash from the explosion reflected a little on the dirt.

black smoke might be a little too thick.. but I like how your first explosion looks...:thumbsup:

zad
08-17-2005, 06:09 AM
i came across a problem with AB trying to simulate fog, the render come out great, exactly how i wanted it but towards the end of the animation there is this 2o frames of contrasty(picture attached) fog. i have fixed the problem by just playing with the setting but i would really like to understand why this is happeing. So if anyone has thoughts on why this is happening id luv to hear them.

Cheers guys hope ya having fun

PsychoSilence
08-17-2005, 12:33 PM
hy zed you wrote "did some testing and found that using AB Shadow maps got rid of the transparent bubbles."

what where your exact settings? i did a try after allenīs fabulouse video tutorial about an afterburn fireball. but i allways get fat spheres with errors (AB Viewport Spheres visible final alpha, little color spots).

Thanks in advance

PsychoSilence

zad
08-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Yeah i have brought a number of allan's disks on PF and AB, they all a great material BUT i still get alot of unexpected outcomes. Like my last post i did a fog scene based on AMckay teachings and it was looking exactly how i wanted, then half way into the render
(have a look at the picture) for some reason it looks like AB is having trouble with transparencies. I can fix it with some playing around but i dont know why these things are happening and i would like to know WHY. I just like to have a good understanding on the tools i work with and when things like this happen then i get frustrated cause i dont really know why it happens. Are u able to post a picture of the effect so i can know exactly what the problem is, Does the problem look like the Pictures i have posted with the dust.
If you are unable to (restrictions), then try playing with the shadow map Params.

Let me know how it goes...

:thumbsup:

DeKo-LT
08-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Maybe try to use "AB Raytracing Shadows"....

PsychoSilence
08-18-2005, 11:25 AM
thanks for the quick reply! i will give it a try soon.

psycho

frankco
08-21-2005, 11:42 PM
In not forgetting our dear friend saghost who sits honorably at the head of this thread, who, asked a simple question ... "could some one tell me how important is :" everything in Afterburn, here's a post on dust. Like saghost, I sit with a fork in one hand and a spoon in the other, waiting to dig in to juicy Afterburn daemons, cut open a hypersolid just to see what's inside. So, with a toast to saghost, I throw more stuff on the plate. Let's make dust.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/default_01.jpg
This is what you get if you just add shadows to Afterburn.

For the image below I changed to the Octane shader. You can tell by the lower amount
of detail in the puffs.
The Low Value for the Gain and Bias will effect particles that are the closest to the emitter, (set to ED).
The Hi Value for the Gain and Bias will effect particles that are the farthest away from the emitter. The two settings, Low and Hi ,are blended together by the AFC. You can change timing of the blend by adjusting the curves within the AFC.
http://www.geocities.com/francot2/fineDust_01.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/fineDust_02a.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/fineDust_03.jpg

For the render below I increased the radius of each particle. This filled the scene up a little more.
I changed the setting for Squash. Squash is great for dust. It can give that nice dust rising or falling effect.
So does Auto Stretch. You can match Auto Stretch with the particle velocity. When the particle slows down the stretch lessens making the animation more believable.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/fineDust_04.jpg

The image below is just so show that you can have very few particles and still get a lot of dust. Just 8 particles in the image below.

http://www.geocities.com/francot2/fineDust_05a.jpg

frankco

SoLiTuDe
08-22-2005, 06:17 AM
sweet frankco... you da man thanks for the info =)

sadghost
08-22-2005, 12:55 PM
I havn't touch AB in a while :-) but I will touch it now :-)thanks for some VISUAL FRANKCO

frankco
08-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey saghost,

Thanks for the input on the bunker smoke. I agree with you. It doesn't look much like the original shot. (colors and movement). I'm still trying to find the best way to reproduce the way the dirt splatters out. Once I get that down, I'll adjust the colors for a better match.

I'm playing with animating the movement of the PF sources. Using them as actual pieces that fly through the air, leaving dust trails behind them. The results so far are promising. I'll post some renders when I get more of the look.

I'll bet there is a better way to do this. Maybe scripting?

Hi Allan M,

I was reading through the posts again and must have misted your part on the bridge. MAN, I'd love some feedback from you! Especially if you have any ideas on how to control the movement of particles. Wind, drag and speed variation are okay but, you never can predict where the particles will end up. It's more of a guessing game.

I saw an article on "Thinking Particles". It sounds expensive but, from what I understand, it gives you more control on each particle. It would be nice to figure out how to do that with AB.

Thanks all
frankco

I had to add this after checking Allan McKay's site for any new tutorials.

Allan

You'r new reel rocks! Your work is amazing man.

http://www.allanmckay.com (http://www.allanmckay.com/)

SoLiTuDe
08-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey frankco: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2485475&postcount=36 That's what allan will tell you. I'm sure you'll be able to get it look how you want before ya know it. It looks to me like there is too many particles with spawned trails or something... i'd say try just making less particles, but bigger with a stretching set to part. velocity in the afterburn rollouts. Also... they should be much darker. :) I really need to find time to work on aburn as well -- maybe i'll just copy you and do the same one... :D

frankco
08-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey solitude,

Thanks for link although, I'm not sure if it brought me to where you wanted me to go. It goes to a dissussion on TP or something.

I've be following the awsome PF thread here on cgsociety and, it seems that's what I need to lean more of. There's a lot of good info in the thread.

I was watching a NOVA, (public TV), series called Origins the other night and it had a lot of cg explosions on there that looked awsome. Great dirt splatters, nice firey explosions, volcanos ... really cool stuff. It was all cg. Some of the best stuff I've seen anywhere. So, I know it can be done. I just want to do it to that level.

All of the dirst splatters on NOVA had many points of material flying out leaving dust trails. The Bunker video has somewhat of the same thing, clumps and particles spreading out with a growing thick dust trails behind. Generating that in PF first, is what I need to do.

Man, that would be great if you did the same thing. I'd love to see what you come up with!

frankco

SoLiTuDe
08-31-2005, 06:03 AM
hey... that link shoulda just been a quote from allan about tp... actually earlier in this thread I think.

Anywho, I was wondering if you could hook it up with a copy of your file/what you have so far so i don't have to re-do the geometry n stuff myself... cause i'm lazy. :D I don't need the particles.. that's the part I wanna do by myself hehe

DeKo-LT
09-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Hello guys,
i've try to create some clouds test with afterburn, everything to seems ok, but when i try to render animation, i have a little flickering on contours of the clouds. Maybe someone can help me with this??? :sad:

http://deko.cgtalk.lt/Clouds_test_f13.jpg

psxchelly
09-06-2005, 03:19 PM
I was told that my post would be better on this thread, so here goes.

My original Post from another message ----

Realistic Dust *trail* w/ Afterburn - Tutorial??
I am trying to create a realist dust trail with 3DS Max and Afterburn. I have been working on it for a few days and cannot get the effect I am looking for, which is a large vehicle traveling around 20mph... I have also tried to studying video footage of various vehicles with dust.

Are there any good tutorials available? Anyone have any suggestions or samples I can look at?

Basically I am using superspray particles. I have also attempted to use blizzard particles.

any suggestions are welcome. I am using Max 5 because the rest of the people in my group are using 5, but I have max 6 and 7 available.

thanks in advance for your help.
Michelle

SoLiTuDe
09-07-2005, 06:41 AM
damn... I really wish I had some extra time to open up max and really help you guys out. They decided to fire my supervisor a few weeks ago and expect me to work more now... bastards. Anyway -- clouds... maybe play (increase rendertimes) with the step size and falloff sizes? Also make it so the density falloff is linear (or something like that), so the edges of each particle fades off towards the edges. Damn those clouds look good!

Dust -- don't know of any tutorials... the main thing is that it would be hard to find something exactly for that. If you can get the particle motion right, I would suggest following a few of the tutorials at 3dluvr.com in case you haven't seen them yet (by allan mckay) and just change a lot of it to meet your needs.. ie changing the colors, and changing the noise sizes, and ignoring his part about lighting as it probalby won't apply to dust (if following his explosion tut). I would say look at as many car commercials as possible too when doing this to see if you can't match it closely also. You could also email allan (allanmckay.com), as he's cool about getting back to people -- he's got a very good (exagerated) example of something that would be similar in his demo reel.

Edit: oh yeah -- of course check out the example files that come with it!

Post what you've go so far and maybe we can add some suggestions as to what is or isn't working.

Good luck!

DeKo-LT
09-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks SoLiTuDe,
i will try, but these clouds rendering time is about 4min, not wish to be lost quick rendering... :sad:

psxchelly -->> goto www.i-flush.com (http://www.i-flush.com/) and look for a video tutorials! :thumbsup:

SoLiTuDe
09-07-2005, 06:58 AM
I love it when that happens! (long render times) I hate to say that lowing the step size with make it render even slower... just try the density falloff by radius thing first... then go from there..also maybe the anti aliasing settings too

ok ...i took a min or two for some dust -- http://www.innersolitude.com/dust1.jpg

saraw
09-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi

Those clouds are fantastic, im trying to create realistic clouds, for a tight deadline and am new to afterburn, did u use any tutorials to create them, or could you be very nice and let me know how you did this .

Any advice appreciated

thanks

frankco
09-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Hey Solitude,

Your image looks cool :thumbsup: . Glad to see you back. Sounds like they are keeping you busy at work. Me too. I've been pretty busy. I have had some time this evening to put together something for Psxchelly. I'll post it below. I'll get that Max file uploaded soon so you can play with it (bunker).

Hi Psxchelly,

On the dust for the truck, I think your best bet is to use Particle Flow. You will have much better control over the trailing dust.

http://www.geocities.com/francot3/basicsetup.jpg

The basic setup would be to place a PF emitter behind each wheel angled to point back and ever so slightly up. Positioning the emitters close the ground and inside the tires. To keep the emitters in place just link them to the truck and tires. I put a speed of 1. for each emitter. You don't wan't the dust to travel back fast as if it were jets or something.

Place 2 larger emitters directly behind the vehicle to add the dust that is cause by the air disturbance of the vehicle. With the 2 PF emitters it will give you the ability to rotate the dust from the 2 emitters towards each other. Helps with the “drag” look of the dust by the truck.

http://www.geocities.com/francot3/basicsetup2.jpg

To rotate the dust add 2 vortexes as in the image. Add the force object in Particle View and adjust the strength. You don’t want it to be very strong. In Particle View I set the influence to 4. percent.

Also, you want to add a drag and gravity to the emitters to have the particles slow down and very slowly drop towards the ground.

I added a wind to all of the emitters to lift the dust up slowly. And, to fill out the areas with dust I added a Keep Apart object in Particle view. You can play around with the settings in Keep Apart and watch the ticks spread or come closer to each other. It's nice for filling out areas.

http://www.geocities.com/frnct5/negativeWind1.jpg

To help with the drag from the truck add a wind and point it away and down from the back of the truck as in the picture above. Give it a negative value and adjust the decay. This will pull the dust along as the truck moves. The particles will travel in the oposite direction of the arrow so, you want the dust to travel up the back of the truck.

http://www.geocities.com/francot3/truckDust_try_03.jpg

I added 2 Afterburn effects. One for the tires and one for the larger PF emitters. I wanted the tire dust to be thicker and fade away faster than the larger PF emitters in the back. To adjust the denisities and other settings separately you have to have a AB effect for the different emitters. Image below.

http://www.geocities.com/francot3/absettings2.jpg

For the density to fade away fast on the tire dust, I used the curve in the AFC.

http://www.geocities.com/francot3/tiredustafc.jpg

Here are some AB settings. I used the Octane shader and Fireball.

http://www.geocities.com/francot3/absettings.jpg

You’ll find you have to do a lot of adjusting to the strengths of all of the forces in the scene. Some forces will work with or against each other. The gravity and wind (up) will certainly work against each other. As a general rule you want to keep the strength down on everything here. There’s not a lot of extreme movement in dust from a truck going 20 miles an hour.

Hope this helps.
frankco

PsychoSilence
09-10-2005, 12:34 PM
http://www.core2core.de/spielwiese/tunnel-inferno.jpg

and as a wmv-sequence: http://www.core2core.de/spielwiese/tunnel-inferno.wmv

frankco
09-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Nice work PsychoSilence:thumbsup:

Good action on the video. Like the camera shake and fire ball. Did you light for the glow?

Maybe you could post some setting????:)

frankco

PsychoSilence
09-10-2005, 04:33 PM
hello frankco,

i used a spotlight to light the fireball and 5 omnis to ambient light the tube. the spotīs target actually follows the fireball "tip" to fake the effect of ambient light emitted by the fireball. because it was rendered with the scanliner there is n real GI of cause...

hereīs the PFTree:
http://www.core2core.de/spielwiese/PF-tree.jpg

SoLiTuDe
09-11-2005, 05:15 AM
wow frankco you really went above and beyond for that guy! :thumbsup: Good job on the tut. Hopefully he comes back to see it! My image was just a quick render of what dust could look like, but geeze dude you took it to a whole new level... make sure you copy that for your own website, and put it up as a tutorial for some people.

Yes... i've been incredibly busy... and I hate it!! School and work... school and work... and then... some more school and some more work. :eek:

That's funny phsycosilence... i was just starting the same exact thing... I have Pete Draper's book on creating the elements... blah blah without plugins and so he does it the long way (no plugins) with mr displacement and stuff, but I looked at it and immedietly said, that'd be so much faster in afterburn.. and easier. Looks fantastic.

PsychoSilence
09-11-2005, 05:23 PM
hy solitude!

youīre totally right. my scene is basicly the same as in the tutorial. the book arrived last week ;) i combined the knowledge of allenīs dvd and peteīs book. all in all peteīs fire looks nice. i like his way of doing it... but the rendertimes are incredible! :( well now, with 12 pre-passes of motion blur the scanliner nearly dies as well but i think it looks nicer...

i really enjoy reading "deconstructing the elements" every morning on my train ride to our studio ;) i think to use as less plugins as possible is a good was to stick to. i allready set up one render farm...itīs no plesure to make sure all scripts and plugins are in the right place :(

SoLiTuDe
09-13-2005, 03:17 AM
lol i totally understand. I love plugins though -- anything that makes something easier is a plus, but yeah renderfarms are a butt with plugs. (pun intended) And yes, that book kicks ass... and i like his workflow in pretty much anything...just all around a badass. I'd rather use plugins for most of it, but it's coo... all badass stuff.

frankco
09-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the screenshot PsychoSilence!

Awesome! It really helped me, out as I'm sure it will for others.

Hey SoLiTuDe,

Thanks, I don't know if Psxchelly will be back, but hey, this form is to help all of us get better with AB. And, maybe someone will point out that there is a better way to do it and it will help me out too :). This is becoming a great thread!

I love Peter's book Decontructing the Elements. I've done some of the tutorials in there and when time permits I'll do them all. I've been thinking that the Gas hob would be great to incorporate with AB. It would make for a great rocket effect.

http://www.geocities.com/frnct5/gashob.jpg

I wanted to mention to DeKoVV that your clouds are fantastic!
Are all of the clouds in the scene in AB? Perhaps you could post some settings???? :bounce:
Good job man!

I found the Google Earth program yesterday and thought, WOW, what a great resource for modeling flyovers of cities. When installed the program gives you a model of the Earth. Type in an address and you fly over to that part of the world. I put some addresses in of Chicago and what a great view. You can see all of the buildings in very good detail. In some places the images are a little blury but, in others they are very sharpe. This is a great resorce for modeling the background for that jet or rocket flying over a city!

You've got to check this out. You can grab the screen and push it for a bit while holding down the mouse button and it flys all by itself. It amazing to watch as you fly around the world. Zoom out and you twirl the earth around and let it rotate with stars in the background. I can watch it for hours. Very cool!

http://earth.google.com/

I had to come back and edit this. Google Earth doesn't work as well at home as it does at work. We have a T3 to the internet so the streaming part of Google Earth is really fast.
I did notice at home, with DSL, that if you revisit a place, the cool fly to and zoom in images stays clear since it is cached.

frankco

PsychoSilence
09-17-2005, 03:06 PM
hy frankco,

sure iīll be back ;) i stick to this and the PF thread :)

btw (OT)! does anyone know, how to set presets with the PF toolbox #1??? i saw it in the UI tutorial by Allan. but i didnīt get jet where i can set presets :(

depleteD
09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
do u guys want to build up a library of refrences for this stuff?
all i really know is that film stock one
dont know the site tho,
but refrences are the most invaluable tool

PsychoSilence
09-18-2005, 01:45 PM
hy depleteD,
do you mean a real footage reference library?

i would join in of cause, but letīs start a unique thread for this!

how aboiut the others?

regards

psycho

depleteD
09-18-2005, 05:32 PM
yea this one or another thread.
Maybe a afterburn or particle refrence place.
http://www.implosionworld.com/
military vids
http://www.militaryvideos.net/[/url]
ideally i would like to score some military testing footage

[url="http://www.killsometime.com/"]www.killsometime.com (http://www.implosionworld.com/)

there is some amazing stuff from Iraq and about the best torando refrence ever
on the video part, also a cool electric effect.

-Andrew

SoLiTuDe
09-19-2005, 12:33 AM
hy frankco,

sure iīll be back ;) i stick to this and the PF thread :)

btw (OT)! does anyone know, how to set presets with the PF toolbox #1??? i saw it in the UI tutorial by Allen. but i didnīt get jet where i can set presets :(

Go into the utilities panel, and click more, then particle flow utility =)

SoLiTuDe
09-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Hey frankco... yeah a lot of the stuff in that book could totally be done in afterburn really well. That'd be a great way to create an afterburner for a jet (gas hob). And the ones he does that use particles to create like a pyroclastic flow or smoke... afterburn would kick it's ass. :)

As for google earth, yeah it's sweet... been playing with it for a while now. You check out some of the cities with the 3d buildings? Check out manhattan. =) It's cooooool.

depleteD
09-19-2005, 02:30 AM
Ah but solitude, the point of that book was to techniques that dont use plugins.
For Volumetric rendeirng aburn cant reallyb e bet, although im impressed with maya fluids.

SoLiTuDe
09-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Yeah i know it was meant to be used for max without plugins, which I think is great. I would like to see a book exactly like it though with plugins... that'd be sweet. Maya fluids are pretty darn good, but from what I hear, plugs for max are in the works that'll really kick it up a notch. :thumbsup:

depleteD
09-19-2005, 03:18 AM
I agree. Although AB is pretty artistically intuitive I would like to get more tips on it. But more so, maxscript, I want to be a vfx animator and im feeling i will be left in the dust if I dont know it.

What s coming for fluids to max? Whatever it is I hope its integrated into pflow. THat would be amazing to put particles through a vector field with AB. God.

PsychoSilence
09-19-2005, 11:18 AM
hy deleteD,

thank you very much for your advise! iīll try. btw. brings me to an idea: how about creatring a user-preset-library? just like they did in all the shaderdiscussions?

jigu
09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
guys really nice and usefull thead for afterburn.

right now i m making just short fx animation on plane crash(based on "ethopian hickjacked plane crash").

here is the first shot of animation i have done so far.i m showing plane burning and gonna crash into sea.

but i used afterburn to make that smoke trail.well guys if u see there is some problem with motionblurring the particles.i used afterburn 3.2.for ur information cast shadow is off in afterburn.i used lambert shader and with little high falloff and step setting to avoid using shadow.

i don;t know how glow works with afterburn.but i tried this i change particles g-buffer channel to 1(in its property) and applied max lenseffect;s glow in effect panel.but it didn;t work.

Download link :: http://jigu.actkid.com/output1_color.avi (858 KB divx movie) it;s lower quality due to divx.i don;t know how to compress movie using divx without losing quality.(or may be becoz i m playing divx movie in windows media player.

here is the screenshot::
http://jigu.actkid.com/screenshot.jpg

frankco
09-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi the_jigu,

As for the motion blur, I'm sure PsychoSilence can help you. He did an awesome job using it for the tunnel inferno.

As for the AB glow, you'll have better luck with lighting. I'm sure AB glow has its place but, when it comes to firey glows adding lights with fall-offs is the way to go.

Hey SoLiTude,

Ya man, I can't stay off of Google Earth. The 3D buildings are awesome. A nice view of Chicago too. A great reference for city skylines. I love the 3D tilt view when, you rotate the view to a forward looking one. You can fly through the Grand Canyon or around Mt. Kilimanjaro. The forum is great fun too. People can post KZM files to let other people go to where they have found something cool. People are posting like mad on there. Always something amazing to look at. Google really has something here.

frankco

depleteD
09-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Man that is a good freaking idea.
Yea lets tottaly make a preset library.
-Andrew

DoubleSupercool
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Quick question: Can you have more than 1 AB effect system running at a time? As in, can you have one AB effect applied to say, smoke trails, and another one applied to dust kick-up? Do you just "add" another environment effect?

Unfortunately I am at work and not at home with Max so can't test this out., so forgive me if it's very obvious.

charleyc
09-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Quick question: Can you have more than 1 AB effect system running at a time? As in, can you have one AB effect applied to say, smoke trails, and another one applied to dust kick-up? Do you just "add" another environment effect?

Unfortunately I am at work and not at home with Max so can't test this out., so forgive me if it's very obvious.

Yes you can.

canwood58
09-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi Guys :) , I have to do a shot of time lapsed clouds moving/rolling etc Just wondering if anyone has done anything like this, im fairly new to afterburn -i can make decent clouds but not really sure where to start with the movement of the clouds, any ideas? :shrug:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Canwood

frankco
09-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Hi canwood58,

Andy Murdock used AB to create a nice cloud rolling effect in his short film LOR. If you take a look at it, (LOR Complete Volume 2 at the top of the page, big download), I think this is what you are after. In the scene where the pelican is flying with the baby, there is a shot of clouds rolling through the valley of the mountains. I pretty sure he just used wind and gravity. http://www.lotsofrobots.com/Web3/IndexLORFS.html

http://www.geocities.com/frnct5/lorshot.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/frnct5/clouds.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/frnct5/clouds3.jpg
This is with a higher setting for turbulence.

http://www.geocities.com/frnct5/clouds2.jpg

I put a PF with wind and gravity forces in the scene. The speed for the particles is 15 and with a variation of 4. Of course this will all depend on your scene size. You should set the phase to about have the number of your key frames. You may have to adjust this some.

After I got the clouds the way I wanted them, I cloned the PF 3 times. After I cloned them, I went into Particle View and copied and pasted the original Event. I wanted to change the Seed on the speed on each as to have them not appear the same.

The wind and gravity settings are very sensitive. For the gravity I put .456, a decay of .5 and the wind I have at .01 with a turbulence of .01 and a scale of 5.8.

When the clouds move they look as if the individual cloud sink and new ones rise up with a nice rolling effect. When new particles are born, they rise up making a random puffy cloud build up, with the general arc of clouds sinking, tumbling over themselves. I have the particle size at 38. I'm sure there are many different, and perhaps better, ways to do this, but I'd thought I'd offer a suggestion.

Hope this helps,

frankco

canwood58
09-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Perfect! Thanks Franco couldnt ask for a better reply!

Cheers

Marc

DoubleSupercool
09-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Thread A in main forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2695838#post2695838)

Thread B in main forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=281680)

Just saw these in the main forum and brought them here to keep AB info in one place.

Question was: Why are AB particles "shaky" when I render them? (like very fast camera shake)

rynomyte came up with the answer that apparently there is a bug with having the AE properties and PFlow schematic open at the same time and rendering. Saving, quitting out, starting again and rendering solves it.

I had the same problem, but noticed it only affected standard Max particle systems, like superspray, NOT PFlow. I set up a PFlow next to my shaky superspray with the same AB settings and the SS was definitely shaky while the PFlow was normal . . . weird.

Update: In another scene, having the PFlow/AB Env. window open was crashing the scene at render time. Restarting and closing the PFlow window sorted this out.

AaronZOOM
10-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Hello all,

I'm doing a scene involving a lot of sand particles blowing out of a logo, including a lot of PFlow Afterburn dust. I want to render my objects/sand/dust out as seperate elements, so I tried giving objects a matte/shadow material to everything
but the Afterburn particles, but it doesn't create a proper alpha channel for my afterburn effects. Any suggestions? I need to block out afterburn particles that are behind my objects, and still have an alpha. Does this make sense to anyone?

I'll also give this other little problem I encountered...

I was rendering out my dust scenes, and every so often there would be this unusual black "cube" artifact in the centre of my dust, that seemed to jump around and change in scale. No dust would render where this unusual black cube was. I tried all of the artifacting suggestions to no avail, and then realized that this cube, despite it's chaning size and shape, always seemed to be in the exact centre of my scene. The centre of world space, to be precise. I moved everything away from the world origin, and haven't had the problem since.

Just thought I'd add that in here, in case anyone else encounters this problem.

psxchelly
10-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone... I have an interesting phenomenon with Max v7 and particle fire with Afterburn.

The short animation consists of characters walking through a scene with a small amount of buildings, and vehicles on fire.

The camera is stationary with the characters walking by, the fires are in the background. The entire animation is about 700 frames.

I started rendering it and when it gets to frame 651 everything starts going wrong with *only* the fire. It is a spray particle system so its put together fairly simply for demonstration purposes.

I have included a visual example of my problem. if anyone can offer a suggestion, it would be appreciated.

SoLiTuDe
10-14-2005, 05:41 AM
sorry this thread has been so dead lately guys... been busy with school n work. :scream: Argh! I'll see if i can't help some of you guys out tonight n tomorrow...

psxchelly: only at exaclty frame 651? Open up track view and see if there are some keys you may have set on accident somewhere along the way -- i've done that more than once! Still wierd though, so I dunno -- in the spray particle system do you have display until and emit times right? And what about the material? Is there something wierd in there?

AaronZOOM: Hrmmm... because it's a volume in space it should work fine with matte shadow n stuff... maybe the matte shadow doesn't respect volumetrics? I'll play with that later, till then, what about using the actual render elements feature?
The black cube thing is funky... esp if there it's just at the center of the world space... were there any hidden cubes or hidden aburn daemons?

Double Supercool: Thanks for trying to send people in here for aburn questions... you're the sheezy. The shaky thing... makes no sense to have it be two dialogs open at once, but ya never know, right? Maybe just a bug fixed in the latest version? I'd say email afterworks/sitni sati or check their forums about it...

Edit: Now I know what you're talking about... just tried it with a super spray ... Dunno... wierd... i'll play around n see what happens Only thing i can think of is maybe it loads the aburn/pflow plugin and that messes with something else in aburn if the plug. gets loaded. Still wierd though, cause I just rendered the file (after reopening) and it worked fine... then i opened pflow, and it still rendered fine, and had the env. dialogs open and everything

DoubleSupercool
10-23-2005, 01:41 PM
This is very strange. Basically I have a scene consisting of some snow terrain and a landing platform. A ship is coming towards the platform. missiles are fired at the ship. My AB explosions and smoke trails render fine if they are the only thing on screen, however, if I unhide my ground and landing platform geometry, the scanline render stalls when it gets to them. So, the top of (sky, top half of explosion) will render fine, but when it gets to the mountains it just stops.

Can anyone think why this might happen?

ETA: aaaaahhh, I think it might be because the droid is 100,000 poly's!! Not stopping, but perhaps choking. When I hide the droid, rendering seems to be normal.I will try some workarounds.

3D_me
11-15-2005, 04:07 PM
2 days ago I posted a question in the particle flow thread. It was about the swirl-movie of amckay. I didn't got much reaction until now, but I managed to sort most of it out by myself... except for one problem, a afterburn-problem.
Since I guessed he used some kind of glow in his animation, I tried the same. It looked good in still, but when the animation was finished, there is quite some flickering present. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Here's the link to my animation:
http://users.pandora.be/sorgeloos/tweakers/atelier/001b.avi [divx 6]

Neejoh
11-15-2005, 04:18 PM
The animation from Allan was down, so I didn't exactly know what you were talking about :P

But why are you using afterburn? Just use lots and lots of particles! Is the flickering your only problem?

SoLiTuDe
11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
yeah -- he used a lot of particles -- no afterburn. He also turned up the transparency filter color to near-white to make the particles glow when there are more on top of each other

MOSS
11-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I have a question,

when afterburn particles go through opacity mapped objects, the part that would normally be completely transparent becomes visible. I tried deselecting use atmospherics in the object properties but that did nothing. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

amckay
11-15-2005, 09:52 PM
it's a bug due to the way kinetix wrote the volumetrics code for max. or at least how to handle it. So it's impossible for afterburn to ever fix it. The hackiest way around it is probably use a void daemon and split your afterburn pass in two renders and a render for your opacity map. Other than that use a clamped opacity map as a vol select/delete_mesh so it's actual geometry going through the volumetrics. But unfortunately there's no real solid fix for opacity maps in volumetrics.

MOSS
11-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks Allan for taking the time to answer,

even tho it wasn't what I wanted to hear :),

What I was trying to do is use Mental Ray fast skin in a scene rendered with final render. A skin pass was going to be rendered in mental ray, then those frames used in the diffuse slot (with screen mapping and 100% self illumination and opacity mapped) of the same character and rendered in final render. However since the character uses pretty extreme displacement mapping, the mesh onto which the render is projected must be larger than the original mesh(to compensate for the displacement) and it is opacity mapped for that reason. It works great until some afterburn smoke passes through the "dummy" mesh and the whole trick is revealed :(.

So now I think I need to render out the whole scene in Mental Ray, then render out the atmospherics in final render with its displacement mapping and composite that over the mental ray render. But the problem with that is they handle displacement differently. So the renders don't really match up well.

The whole point was to avoid a heavy compositing job (since I'm not all that good at it), but It looks like that's not gonna heppen if I want to use displacements. I just hope one day afterburn will render in mental ray.

What are the chances of that do u think?

Morpheus09
11-21-2005, 10:16 PM
hi
i need some help with Afterburn maybe this is a pflow problem
exp (http://people.freenet.de/david.rosada/bilder/max7/exp.mov)
how can i improv this explosion

authentic
11-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Hello I'm new on afterburn but not on particles. I'm tryiong to do a tornado but i got many problems. So I need you help :)

It's on my thread :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2848697#post2848697

thanks

SoLiTuDe
11-23-2005, 09:15 PM
hi
i need some help with Afterburn maybe this is a pflow problem
exp (http://people.freenet.de/david.rosada/bilder/max7/exp.mov)
how can i improv this explosion

It looks like it just needs to be softer looking,and maybe have a few more particles in between to make it a little smoother -- but not too much more

To get them softer looking decrease the step size in the ray marcher rollout (longer render, but better result) and maybe decrease density just a hair? also make it so the smoke lingers longer and slowly goes up after a fast explosion part.

SoLiTuDe
11-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Hello I'm new on afterburn but not on particles. I'm tryiong to do a tornado but i got many problems. So I need you help :)

It's on my thread :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2848697#post2848697

thanks

Only thing i can really think of is that it needs to be smoother. Add a background behind it too and see how it works. I find that black isn't a good bg for tweaking afterburn stuff. I don't know what your settings are, so you should post 'em! I'd say less dense, softer white, lower step size, and density falloff to cubic or linear (whicever looks best) The noise size looks ok, but there are some edges that are really being picked up between the spheres, and that's where the falloff and motion blur will help. I think all you have to do is right click your particles and go to properties and add image motion blur to it to make it blur. this would be right clicking the PFSource 01 in the pflow tree if you're using pflow...

Hope this helps.. good luck

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/nssl/tornado1.html <-- use that for reference!

Edit: oh yeah -- add some debis and stuff at the bottom of course to be coming up from the ground!

authentic
11-23-2005, 09:36 PM
thanks I'll try all these things to see how it evolves.

authentic
11-24-2005, 07:40 PM
With your advice and some changement I have a more convincant tornado.Thx solitude. I was unable for the moment to have something with less volume with afterburn. In fact I had to lower the density but in very small value.
I had some questions anyway. What is the step size doing concretely, just a better resolution ??
Is there a way to force more the falloff, to have a more thin center and more small effects on sides ??

here's the last picture :

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7107/b6av.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SoLiTuDe
11-24-2005, 09:44 PM
crap... i just deleted all the stuff i said... and now i have to retype it... ugh... stupid mouse gestures and my stupid urge to click the mouse....

Step size determines the "resolution" of how many samples afterburn will actually take when looking into a volume... it looks at it like this |_ |_ |_ | and each | is a sample at say 1 foot or something... if you turn the size down it would do this: ||||| and therefore look better! (and bring render times up!) smaller step sized make stuff look softer, where bigger sizes make things look harsh. Falloff determines how long before a ray stops calculating or something like that... it explains this stuff really good in the pyrocluster manual... and in the afterburn manual it's still understandable. =)

For the falloff to make it thin in the center I'm honestly not sure, short of taking the particles and actually making more of a funnel out of them so they have some empty space between them maybe? Use a vortex space warp if you arent yet... so they actually create a funnel. Then you should change the sphere size to match that kind of so that you actually have empty space in the middle. Right now it looks more like they're just a line of particles...

Hope it helps!

Morpheus09
11-24-2005, 11:32 PM
ok i changed a few parameters
i have added a drag and reduced the density
what do you this is this looking better now
exp2 (http://people.freenet.de/david.rosada/bilder/max7/feuer3.mov)

SoLiTuDe
11-24-2005, 11:57 PM
very nice! it's a lot smoother now... some of the particles seem to go one way while some go the other way (left on top and bottom, but middle area goes right?) so i'd play with some of the noise parameters or particle motion... otherwise i think you've almost nailed it!

authentic
11-26-2005, 04:26 PM
a little update (you'll say it to me if I bored you)

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/6218/c6sv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

psilo
11-27-2005, 12:47 AM
hello everybody ,

i have a little question about afterburn...i m working on a tornado project and i have 3 systems of particles with 3 afterburn different....one for the tornado base...one for the dust around the tornado and one principal of the tornado ( and on with debris too)....i

my question is how i can recomposite my 4 pass...is there a way to do a sort of matte/shadow material on the afterburn sphere?! ... have i to render it with z depth....if someone has a good trick...i dont want to render the 4 elements in just one pass

thanks ....

ps: here is pics of the tornado...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/psilo/tornade-frame104_.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/psilo/tornade-frame147_.jpg

ps2 : on the second pic i have a matt/shadow on the ground...and it works for the debris (poly) but not for the afterburn....if someone know why....

thans again

g8ff
11-28-2005, 08:53 PM
On your matte/shadow material, check the apply atmospherics button.

psilo
11-28-2005, 10:30 PM
erf.....i m so silly.....thanks g8ff ....

authentic
11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
For those who are intersted, notice that there is a big bug between afterburn and the new hair and fur node in max. Unable to render the 2 effects at the same time. An error occured and max close...

Xen0sis
12-02-2005, 01:57 PM
I need some help to create a sandstorm for little animation am working on..

Am not very skilled with Afterburner, so i would appreciate a little walkthrough on how create a sandstorm..

Here is a little render of the scene (http://xenosis.dk/Stuff/desert.jpg)

Thanks..

Neejoh
12-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure you have to use afterburn for a sandstorm, my guess would be to use lots and LOTS of particles... I've seen Alan mcKay do this in one of his promo's so it can be done...

If you do want to use afterburn just use a lot of particles (again :P) and set de density very low.. I guess a standard clouds (http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/75) tutorial should get you up to speed with afterburn (yep, another one of allan's tutorials :P) and apply that to your sandstorm... But again, I'm not sure AB is the way to go.

BrandonD
12-21-2005, 11:07 PM
It depends on the effect you're going for. Wisps of sand off the surface is best done by birthing stationary particles on the surface, then spawning a flow of particles for a set time from these points. After a while, the particles die and new ones are formed. This creates random flurries of sand. This is one of the techniques I used for snow on "Day After Tomorrow" and you could do it with sand just as easily. You can make it very soft with lots of facing particles or you could use Afterburn with much fewer particles (probably render faster too).

I did some sandstorm R&D for "Flight of the Phoenix" way back when, and to make a giant Al Asad style wall of sand, I used an animated piece of geometry to randomly birth pariticles from.

SoLiTuDe
12-24-2005, 04:37 AM
*gasp* The Particle god brandon davis speaks! *GASP* hehe... haven't heard much of you in a while... when you gonna update ur website!? :D
What kind of particle counts would you need to get a good sandstorm effect like that though? like millions? or hundreds of thousands?

viztastic
12-24-2005, 10:51 PM
heya guys, i cant help but think this issue has been raised b4, but i got AB 3.1... and i hav this scene with smoke slowly shifting around thru sublte turbulence as well as an animated phasei n AB.. thing is.. when i render out the 1000 frames, the rendered animation has a shocking jerk at every 300 frames or so, it destroyes the smoothness of the animation, in the viewport, the particles dont do this at all, its just that in the render it happens, really irritating.

anyway 2 get above this?
thnx in adv.

BrandonD
12-25-2005, 12:03 AM
*gasp* The Particle god brandon davis speaks! *GASP* hehe... haven't heard much of you in a while... when you gonna update ur website!? :D
What kind of particle counts would you need to get a good sandstorm effect like that though? like millions? or hundreds of thousands?

Ha! I passed the torch on to the new generation of MAX particle guys ;)

I only recently returned from a year in Iraq, so I haven't touched MAX in quite some time, with the exeption of a Lexus commercial. I've been working almost exclusively with Houdini these days on a project that goes well into next year. Aside from that, instead of spending my free time R&Ding new ideas, I prefer to skateboard and hangout with the woman. Maybe I'm over the hill; I dunno.

I'll get around to the website some day; it's just hasn't been a priority to me in a long time. I'm sure I'll get around to it again some day, but no time soon. There's enough particle education stuff on that's still relavent there and Alan and Chris can take care of the vast majority.

Okay, for the wisps of sand blowing, it would all depend on the size of your scene. Ideally you'd only want to birth particles within the camera frustum. The thing to remember with volumetrics is often less is more. With a big wall of sand you could use less than a thosand particles and just use large volumes. The wisps off the surface would be similar. In fact, sometimes you can get away with just a single particle that remains stationary. Just grow the volume over particle age, scale the noise with it (only slightly faster) and use a Wind Daemon to move all of the noise along a direction - it'll give it the effect of blowing fog or sand.

For the AA090 shot in "Day," it was mostly looking down on the snow at the two guys snowshoeing and it pulled back to reveal the city. Because of the angle, it was really easy to cheat the snow flurries with a couple different textures - no particles. Basically it was a series of noise maps masked by more noise maps, with phase moving through Z and the entire texture offsetting in the direction of the wind. Pretty easy but looks great; nice and subtle.

BrandonD
12-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey, that was fun. Here's a sample file of what I was talking about. I don't have AB on my new machine, so that part's not done, but this should at least give you something to start with.

MAX8 file, BTW

SoLiTuDe
12-25-2005, 03:46 AM
a year in Iraq --- ewwwww. Glad ur back safe man. --Skateboarding and women are always a good combo! Evens out that nerd thing associated with computers.... hence the reason I do my Dj thing (look at my avatar) Over the hill... i hope not.. although I'm sure when this generation is like 60 years old we'll have skate park retirement homes... but with more pads i'm sure.

Yeah -- there's lots of resources already... hence the reason i've learnt so much in the past few years. Of couse i never put my knowledge to real use... but I'm working on that. It's still nice though to have a variety of people to learn from, more variety in workflow and such it's kind of more interesting... find more ways to do stuff, ya know? Hence the reason you should play with max every day. :D How's houdini compare??? (haven't had even a remote chance of checking it out yet, though i've been meaning to) What's it offer for volumetrics?

I know what you mean with less is more with volumetrics (afterburn)... using 1 big volume I can make some really interesting stuff. That's what noise size is for. One thing i think a lot people forget (including myself) is that faking isn't cheating... it just has to not look wierd and not be noticed as fake. ...or I guess i could say that with this there is no cheating... it doesn't have to be perfectly real and follow exact physics and whatnot (in most occasions) It just has to play the part and not have anybody ask twice... doesn't matter how it gets done.

--Hope you hang out a bit more! do you have a messenger thing like aim or icq or whatever???

viztastic: I think i've had trouble with that bug too... i remember somebody correlating it to certain dialogs open (such as pflow) which doesn't make a whole ton of sense, but save the file, reopen it (no dialogs open, except render...) and go straight to rendering and see what happens. Also... do image sequence if you're not, so you can start it at frame 300 instead of starting all over if you're not... also see if upgrading to 3.2 helps any. I'm not sure all what bugfixes were there, but if you can upgrade do it... can't hurt! Do a search on this in the forums... i can't remember where it was... maybe this thread even, about that bug.

SoLiTuDe
12-25-2005, 04:07 AM
hehe.. nice snow flurries -- i tried rendering them out with aburn, but it looks too much like steam to me... gotta work on that. :) Thanks!

midk
01-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi all, just came across this thread, I'd be glad to participate too :)

Here's one of my better Afterburn animations: http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs8/f/2005/343/6/4/plane.mov

SoLiTuDe
01-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Sweet! We've got another! --the file says access foribidden tho! :sad: Anyway, welcome to the afterburn thread... hopefully we can learn from each other n stuff :D

midk
01-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Oh. I guess Deviantart doesn't like direct linking. You can just go here then:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/26218506/

Tap "Download to Desktop" beneath the preview picture.

On the plus side, I didn't really think of it, but you get a nice couple paragraphs of description :) My other work is there at my profile as well.

ziv121
01-04-2006, 04:00 PM
hey all started using afterburn a week ago and wanted to ask if anyone knows what plugin is good for easy particles movmeant, cause i just cant get around with particle flow. it seems soo hard to understand especially when english isnt my native tong.

anyway i done a 2 seconds blow(by a tutorial i found ) it looks preety good but i just wish i could control more at the particles:shrug:. sooo here it is:
http://www.sendmefile.com/00212796

charleyc
01-04-2006, 04:11 PM
ziv121 - There are not too many particle plugins out there anymore for max. If you want simpler, I would suggest the legacy particle systems (SuperSpray, PArray, Blizzard...). For the power you get in PFlow, it really isn't so hard, there is just a pretty steep initial learning curve. Once you get over that it gets a lot easier.

BrandonD
01-05-2006, 02:09 AM
They may be old, but I posted some explanations of how Particle Flow works on my site (that never gets updated).

http://www.particlefx.com/education/PFlow/index.html

revelaciones
01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Afterburn or Pyrocluster? in terms of speed vs quality?

BrandonD
01-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I think Afterburn wins in the quality arena and speed is really a matter of understanding how to optimize settings. I still would chose Pyrocluster over AB if I was working with Thinking Particles. The integration between the two is a feature in itself.

amckay
01-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Kresimir has a nack for optimization that's for sure. Honestly with Pyrocluster 3's rewrite Edwin did add in a lot of new gui stuff and to an extent copied a majority of AB's interface, at least the bits that worked etc. So they do stand as being quite similiar nowadays. I personally take preference to Afterburn, purely as there's support there if I ever need it, whereas Cebas has a long history of being good at releasing products and giving no real technical support at all. Turbosquids tried to cusion that by stepping in and taking the reigns on the sales part, although still if it has a cebas stamp I kind of shon away from it unless absolutely necessary.

AB's fast and easy to use, and more importantly it's industry supported, those are three selling points that I think speak for themselves.

btw great to see you back on the forums Brandon

-Allan

revelaciones
01-31-2006, 02:28 PM
does afterburn 3.2 contain after burn 3.1 or is needed to intal firt 3.2 and then 3.2?

BionicSasquatch
02-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey everyone.

Stupid question: what's the best way to trigger multiple explosions in PF?

I have a complex system all set to go and I want it to explode on objext x at frame 001, object y at frame 005, and object z at frame 010. (I'm simplifying. There are way more than three explosions in the scene.)

Do I have to do a collision test for each explosion, or can I just say "trigger it here at this point in time".

- Paul T

BrandonD
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Just set the Birth op to Amount and then keyframe the value from 0 to how many you need "per second" then back down to zero.

BionicSasquatch
02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Damn, so I gotta do it by hand for each one? Isn't there a script or something where I can say "trigger the event at frames x, y, and z"? Cuz like I said, there are a bunch of explosions.

BrandonD
02-02-2006, 09:02 PM
The easy way to approach this would be to put the explosion events as a spawn. So where a particle is spawned, an explosion kicks off. Then you can just put particles where you want with whatever timing you want - boom!

BionicSasquatch
02-02-2006, 09:16 PM
OK, so I make a particle system that emits one particle whenever I need to trigger? And I just move it to the correct locations, right?

Thanks man. I'm new to PF and Afterburn but it sure is useful and fun.

psxchelly
02-15-2006, 01:21 PM
I am using MAX 7, AfterBurn. I needed to set up a scene to demonstrate a simple commercial product. I set up a particle flow, and everything looks great. It is a very basic fire with only a little amount of detail.

I was rendering the scene and noticed that the particles go completly black immediately after a certain amount of frames.

for example frame 240 is totally fine, looks great. Frame 241, particle go black.

Anyone know why this could happen? Particle life looks correct... and when i render without the lighting system the same problem still occurs, so I dont think its the lighting.

ATTACHED are the 2 examples of what I am trying to explain.

frankco
02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi psxchelly,

There are a couple of places to check for the life of the particles. In PF do you have a delete operator? And is Remove by Partical Age selected?

If so, Afterburn has a couple of settings to check. Set the particle life to the number of keyframes in your animation. On the AFC, for each effect, set it to PA for particle age.

That should do it. Let us know if you still have problems
frankco

psxchelly
02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
yepp, I do have a delete operator. The delete "by particle age" is checked. The delete is set to 150 with a variation of 15.... my problem occurs at frame 241.

When i change the Particle Life to the amount of frames in the animation, all of the particles turn fire color without smoke.... when i set "by particle age" "life span" back to 150 the smoke at the top of the fire comes back.

All of my AFC are set to Particle Age.

I am still a bit confused if you can offer more help I would appreciate it.

Michelle

benmerrick
04-16-2006, 01:27 AM
hey guys,

i just signed up on this forum now to post in the thread. hope some of you will come back and start talking again as i see you havent posted in a while.

nice thread so far- took an hour of solid reading to catch up on 2years of posts in it! lol

i just got afterburn, but am having alot of trouble finding good tutorials for it- eventough you guys kept saying there was loads of them out there. unforunately i cant afford the Ģ118 for the cg academy afterburn masters dvd set, but will be buying the LOR one after reading bout it on here.

do any of you guys know where i can find a good smoke and fog tutorial? ive searched everywhere on the net for a couple of weeks with no luck, and could really do with the help. unfortunately alan didnt make one on his site for either of them :( (and i actually got really bad renders when i tried his cloud tutorial- which i think is down to me using max 8, thus different settings)

thanks alot, and hope some people kick life back into this thread! :)

feldy
04-16-2006, 03:16 AM
two years pf posts!!! it just started last year my boy

SoLiTuDe
04-16-2006, 05:35 AM
hey guys,

i just signed up on this forum now to post in the thread. hope some of you will come back and start talking again as i see you havent posted in a while.

nice thread so far- took an hour of solid reading to catch up on 2years of posts in it! lol

i just got afterburn, but am having alot of trouble finding good tutorials for it- eventough you guys kept saying there was loads of them out there. unforunately i cant afford the Ģ118 for the cg academy afterburn masters dvd set, but will be buying the LOR one after reading bout it on here.

do any of you guys know where i can find a good smoke and fog tutorial? ive searched everywhere on the net for a couple of weeks with no luck, and could really do with the help. unfortunately alan didnt make one on his site for either of them :( (and i actually got really bad renders when i tried his cloud tutorial- which i think is down to me using max 8, thus different settings)

thanks alot, and hope some people kick life back into this thread! :)

Welcome to afterburn central -- 2 months of a dead thread has now come back to life... =) I'll try and see what we can do to get this thread rolling again. I know they're all relatively expensive... I bought the Szymon Masiak dvd from turbosquid (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/271409)
and it was worth every cent. Save up and buy it! He goes into afterburn almost exclusively, and it's excellent! The allan mckay dvd from turbosquid gave me a real good intro to afterburn, but szymon really goes more into afterburn, even though he talks funnier than allan.

I've found out that using say, omni lights is probably the biggest thing for it... using it to actually light up an explosion, and almost forgetting about the color gradients works really will in most cases... of course depending on what it is the color gradients are still needed, but look into using an omni with "use" checked for far attenuation (which you can animate), and set the multiplier to like 5 (which you can animate), and the color to red or something for fire... and then of course add the xplode daemon which is kind of a pain to get used to, but it's cool, and use torus' with locked particles with the the torus' rotation parameter animated... i'll post an example maybe in a little bit.. =)

Congrats Feldy! 2 years! WOOT! :thumbsup:

Edit: http://www.innersolitude.com/afterburn_rollingfire2.mov

benmerrick
04-16-2006, 09:27 AM
lol sorry it was like 2:30 in the morning, so 15 pages seemed like 2 years to me lol

which of the turbo squid one better for the money or the LOR one then do you say? can afford to buy one of them, so which should i get?
basically i want the most advanced one out of them, i can do the basics :)

feldy
04-16-2006, 05:09 PM
HEHE not two years someone said this thread was here for two years it was just stated last year

that dvd was good huh it looked the same as allans thats why i never got it i bought allans turbo squid dvd as well as all 3 cg master dvds but this one goes that much more into it? IVE BEEN WAITING FOREVER FOR ALLANS NEW DVD COUGH COUGH IT SEEMS LIKE THAT WAS VAPOR WARE. its going to be way over a year old by thetime it ever gets released.

SoLiTuDe
04-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Allan's cg academy ones I haven't seen all of, but i'm sure they're probably the best for afterburn. His turbosquid one is really good for pflow, but not as much afterburn, which Is why like szymons. The LOR one i haven't seen either, but from what it looks like and what i've heard is that it goes into detail on creating his abomb... which is cool.. I figured out a way to do something similar, which you can see in my demo reel (innersolitude.com) it's not nearly as good, but the same general idea is there... I used an animated cylinder with taper as my deflector for the funnel, and a torus for the other part...

Yeah -- i was going to wait for allan's new dvd, but that was last december when it was supposed to be out. Oh well! I guess we'll just have to wait... stupid turbosquid. =)

Feldy: OOOH!!! Now i read that part in that post... I thought mayber you were talking about yourself or something... I dunno... *smacks self in head*

feldy
04-17-2006, 03:59 AM
every one keeps talking about this lor dvd where is a link for it i never heard about it

SoLiTuDe
04-17-2006, 05:50 AM
www.lotsofrobots.com (http://www.lotsofrobots.com) .. it's the sheezy!

benmerrick
04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
so you think if i were to get one of the dvds then the szymons one would be best to teach me after effects? (not including the cg academy one as it is too expensive)

feldy
04-17-2006, 05:11 PM
i saw those before but I dont see anywere that those dvds have anything at all to do with afterburn

SoLiTuDe
04-17-2006, 07:25 PM
after effects? that's a compositing program -- so that'd be a no. But if you meant afterburn, then yes. =)

feldy: http://www.lotsofrobots.com/Web3/DVD_VolumeTwoTut1.htm that's on the store page, there's two buttons for tutorials, each dvd comes with some tutorials.

DoubleSupercool
04-23-2006, 07:21 AM
The problem I have with TurboSquid (and hey, I managed to get almost every major plug in as a student pack for $200 bucks last year so I am not complaining too much) is that shipping to Australia costs almost as much as the actual DVD. So a USD$70 training DVD costs $50+ to sned and could come close to costing me AUD$200 . . .

The trouble is that they only have one option for shipping. Normal UPS to Aus might be $5-7 for 1 DVD.

benmerrick
04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
i know what you mean.. it doubled the cost of my order, just for the frigging postage!

feldy
04-23-2006, 05:31 PM
hehe i had that same problem ordering the cg acdemay dvd set from them it was expensive as hell

CapitanRed
04-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Damn....my eyes are burning!! afterburns'so hot:p

I have read now alot in this theread, but didn't find the answeare i'm looking for.

I try to render a scene with vray, so i can use the advantage of GI to get a realistic look.
now afterburn gives me only a realistic look, if i render with default scanline render.

this means i have to do two(or more) renders of my scene and then start to composing.

and here is my problem. how can i compose this two things, so that objects, which get covered by fire do not disappear suddenly. I want that they disappear slowly, the more they get into the fire.

and also, how i will controle the afterburn renders, so, that fire is behind of my object, and in front of it too. so, the object is still visible.
hard to explain, but perhaps somebody understand what i want to say.

last thing is, i have expolsion near a building with reflecting windows.
how i'll get the reflection(which are done with the vraymaterial) of the fireshape in the windows??

SoLiTuDe
04-24-2006, 02:51 PM
that's a toughy... hehe... I would look into rendering with a z depth pass and also alpha. Using the z depth you might be able to tell the compositing program that the fire isn't supposed to be flat on top of something else. The alpha might be able to make afterburn transparent also... Good question though.. The reflections you might have to also composite (render in scanline and comp on top of the other one)

PsychoSilence
04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Hy community,

is there a possibility to freeze the noise animation of an afterburn sphere?

I want to create a bullet time explosion and everything works well. only the afterburn keeps flickering and evolving the noidemap. :(

hereīs the so far animatic of the explosion:

http://rapidshare.de/files/18823046/Explosion-bullet-time.wmv.html

in the final image there will be more tendrils, blasting stuff and cracks etc...

hope someone can help me

greets from germany

anselm

feldy
04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
for object interaction u have to have a mat shadow material with object depth checked

but remeber if afterburns density is really thick then it will do that u want it to be less like that lower the density if you have anyof allan mckays dvd he goes over that in the turbo squid one and the cg acdeamey one also.

CapitanRed
04-24-2006, 06:28 PM
I tried that with the Z-depth, but i think max does not render the z depth of the volumentrics. On my Z-depth pictures i see only black.
ok, i think i could fake this with the alpha channel, but is this really the right way??

I have attached a .jpg which showas that there is no z-depth.

and another question:

since I have a new machine, with a new graphics card(nvidia quadro 1400) max allways crashes when i drag the noise shape parameters and the noise preview is on. am i the only one to whom this happens?

CapitanRed
04-24-2006, 07:21 PM
oha, thats it!!!
great, thank you. ha!!:applause:
I have been looking for this sooo long.

my attachment before didn't work, but it isn't nessesary anymore. :o)

feldy
04-24-2006, 07:51 PM
did i help or what was the fix

CapitanRed
04-24-2006, 11:31 PM
hehe, i think you did:thumbsup:

rendering with matte shadows. or just split the atmosphere. i think this will look the same. or not?

SoLiTuDe
04-25-2006, 12:37 AM
PsychoSilence (member.php?u=49434) -- What parameters are you animating? Is there an explode daemon, or is it just the phase? It shouldn't be animating if you actually have it being told to stop. ---If you are using something like bobo's maxtrix, maybe afterburn's afc's don't respond to it the same way, so you might have to key in the stops in the afcs you are using.

amckay
04-25-2006, 02:24 AM
there's a new dvd I made a while back that's being released through turbosquid. I'm getting a little frustrated as it should have been out a while back now, however it's just been this disc that seems never to ever come out (@$#) so I'm going to give it another day and then get nazi on someone, as I was told it would definitely be ready by start of this month... eitherway it'll be out soon and should be a lot more clean and professional than the original turbosquid dvd, and covers a lot of useful advanced techniques.

Some of you might have noticed that allanmckay.com is down, my host (hellohost.com) bit the bullet, and they took my domain down with them. Unfortunately I'm too busy with all the e3 rush to do anything about it just yet. However I've got a new server ready to go, which for once won't die in the arse if too many people visit. As the last year or two I've pretty much stopped making content as my server couldn't handle the bandwidth, whereas my new host has a 750 gb limit per month, so I'm ready in May to start building new content again. But first of all I need to get my domain sorted still!

In regards to Turbosquid, one thing I plan to do once the dvd is out (again !$#!@) is pretty much negotiate they have a snail mail version or find some cheaper way to ship, as I too think it's rediculous that people pay so much for shipping costs. There's always the 4-5 week option for international mail that's slower but costs like $10, so I think it's crucial they do that. Or else perhaps make a downloadable version for those keen to grab 3gb or something over the web.

SoLiTuDe
04-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Good to hear you're still alive.. lol... i remember you sent that dvd out in december man! I won't complain, as it's not my dvd... because I'm sure you're WAY more anxious than we are to get it out there. Too bad about the web host... good thing you got a new one coming. I've told you (i think) before, i'd be more than happy to mirror stuff for you... so if you need, just drop me a line (ianf@innersolitude.com) and I'll put up whatever ya want... even if the new host doesn't have issues like the old one.

I wouldn't mind grabbing a dvd over the web... as long as their host can actually support it... or hell -- even if it was avail via chapters, so you don't have to do all 3 gb at once... maybe make the d/l a cheaper price, as we won't have a cool hardcopy??? I dunno... either way I'll be one of the first to buy that $#!+ ..at least i'm in the US so my shipping isn't so bad. Curious though -- with all you've learned in the past 4 1/2 months, is you dvd outdated yet!?:D

Good luck with the host and the dvd!

--Ian--

PsychoSilence
04-25-2006, 10:30 AM
PsychoSilence (http://member.php?u=49434) -- What parameters are you animating? Is there an explode daemon, or is it just the phase? It shouldn't be animating if you actually have it being told to stop. ---If you are using something like bobo's maxtrix, maybe afterburn's afc's don't respond to it the same way, so you might have to key in the stops in the afcs you are using.

yes, i do use the maxtrix script. you got it totally right, the phase is not responding to the freeze effect of the maxtrix script. i will try to key it for the time it should freeze. hopefully i can post a new version of the animation later on (the director set a very very tight scedule for the effect :(

youīre totally right ian, just like you i count the day ītil the new dvdīs coming out...

greets

anselm

< E D I T >

Just rendered a new version with an animated phase. but it still flickers as hell :(

see the attachment for the phase curve please

what should i animate further more?

< E D I T >

SoLiTuDe
04-25-2006, 07:57 PM
hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... what does it do with the phase animated like that, but without using maxtrix? Also... what about the step size? maybe it's too high? also... what about the noise size afc? try copying the same curve from your phase?

Edit... upon further review, with a curve like that, wouldn't there be a big jump in the phase? you want to freeze it at that value, not drop it down, then jump back up... so it should go from Frame 0-20 up to value of 25, then stay at value of 25 all the way to frame 50, then go up to value 50 for the rest of the animation (frame 100) ... at least I think it's something like that

CapitanRed
04-25-2006, 11:14 PM
i agree with solitude.

you will have big phase jumps, if you animate it like this. but anyways, during that time, the phase should not move, or be flickering.

if it is really a probleme of the phase, than perhaps you have set in the particles property the particle start and particle life values not to 0 and 100, and checked use. and so, the phase animation does not stop at this time.

but if i am serious, i don't hink that this is your phase, which is flickering.

If you want to find out what it is, you should try to render a bullettime scene with simple AB volumentric. then add more and more effects to it, till you get the reason.

I had allways problemes with the glow. sometimes it gowed, and sometimes not.
also, when i render animation of AB i get sometimes a camera shake effect. I have never found out what it is, but some day, it just disappeared:surprised

feldy
04-26-2006, 04:50 AM
this was sent to me from beau from turbosquid march 17th

Actually, Sonny and I are on the road, but have all of the new DVD
materials with us as I want it done within a week to send to Allan for
approval. The process has been slow due to the two major tradeshows
that
we'd been prepping for and for that, I apologize as it has been my
fault
for adding to the delay.

Rest assured, Allan's disk is now my top priority and since Sonny and I
are together (away from other distractions), we should be able to
finish
it off quickly.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

-=Beau

so if they could get off there asses and get this out it would be great.

PsychoSilence
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM
this was sent to me from beau from turbosquid march 17th

Actually, Sonny and I are on the road, but have all of the new DVD
materials with us as I want it done within a week to send to Allan for
approval. The process has been slow due to the two major tradeshows
that
we'd been prepping for and for that, I apologize as it has been my
fault
for adding to the delay.

Rest assured, Allan's disk is now my top priority and since Sonny and I
are together (away from other distractions), we should be able to
finish
it off quickly.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

-=Beau

so if they could get off there asses and get this out it would be great.

sounds good to me :D

:::::::::

i want to thak all who replyed to my case. will give all advises a try ;) iīll keep in touch!

anselm

amckay
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
obviously every day there's new stuff to come up with, but none of the materials outdated. A lot of it is stuff I'm using every day and some very intuitive systems which I'm sure will change the way you look at handling a lot of pipeline stuff within pflow.

Yeah not to shed the wrong kind of light on Turbosquid, they're good guys, however I do feel like a broken record every couple of months saying "guess what's just about to come out!"

I finish this whole E3 rush next week, which lines up perfectly with my birthday... so after a massive hangover.. I'm going to take a majority of May off to catch up on everything, and I do have a few cool ideas for tutorials I plan to do, just need to get my domain back first.. ack.

feldy
04-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Very cool. Are you going to E3 or just doing some game fx work? anyways yea the turbosquid guys are good guys but it seems they have had there finger in there ass for a while now.

amckay
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I think it's just been terrible timing with every event leading up to it's release. I'm hopefully going to approve it over the weekend and then go from there.

I'm not going to e3 - I've got 6 projects going on right now, 2 live action films, a CG feature film, 3 game cinematics. So I'm pretty much just trying to keep myself out of hospital from stress at this stage, but I'm looking forward to it all wrapping up next week.
Then I think I'll have a month of boozing and catching up on everything, as I've been pretty out of the loop the last few months from being in Japan to working down south on a few big gigs, and all the other projects that have been going on. I do plan to go back to LA later this year for a bit, so that should be fun to catch up with everyone!

-AM

joconnell
04-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Keep away from the chicks and jaegermeister so :D

amckay
04-27-2006, 11:09 AM
hahahah yeah I'll try to do so, you keep your atm card in yer wallet and don't go thinking you've left it in some seedy strip club ;)

Richard "Doc" bailey passed away this week? Anyone know how?
He was one quirky guy... that's for sure. I worked with him on Superman Returns, definitely a very brilliant guy, although wasn't afraid to proclaim that himself ;)

joconnell
04-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Girls just wanna have fun ;)

amckay
04-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I might have to go to over to London to supervise a shoot so if I do we'll have some jags in Dublin, your turn to show me around ;)

PsychoSilence
04-27-2006, 02:01 PM
well first of all you have your birthday ahead ;) beeeeeeeeer

does anyone have a bright idea on how fade or glow out an afterburn event? i would try to decrease the gain and bias until the clouds for example fade away...i donīt want to fade them in postproduction thatīs weak :D

CapitanRed
04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
I tried to use AB-Glow, but it was allways flickering when the particles changed the size. Also AB-glow did only brighthen the particles, but not light the scene, so i used videopost, and it looked pretty cool.

joconnell
04-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I might have to go to over to London to supervise a shoot so if I do we'll have some jags in Dublin, your turn to show me around ;)

Drop me a where and when.

SoLiTuDe
04-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Allan: Wow dude... Richard Bailey... I couldn't find crap on google about it, except a small post on high end 3d, but they have no mention of how. Sad though, because that guy was a genius and inspiration to us simple-minded folks...

PsychoSilence: use an afc on the the density... lower densities make render times bigger, but it's probably the nicest looking way.

dreggsy
04-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Hi all,
Im blowing up a car and in the shoot they spot it at night so when i comp it in the shot theres no smoke,
I've been messing around with afterburn to do some dark oily smoke
the problem is that i cant get it to fade out properly (like a puff of smoke)
Ive scaled via AFC the sphere size and noise density but it kinda looks crap even though its out of frame. also the last frame just stops i cant seem to get anice fade to 0 over 12 frames.
any tips? im not using PF should I be?
Max7, Afterburn 3.2

thanks in advance
Jason

CapitanRed
04-28-2006, 09:35 AM
try to make your density gets to 0 before the animation ends.

amckay
04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
well ... I've had enough beers/rums.. and rums tonight to say the wrong things, but my experiences with 'doc' have always been interesting. there was a post on cg channel about him which his friend mentioned "does not mix well with others" and I think I fell on the back end of that, as any complementry conversations I've ever had with him have seemingly been pretty cold or centered around himself so he definitely was an interesting guy to work with. However he has done some great work, and I'm sure his contributions to what we did on superman returns will hopefully be well recieved.

Well... I have a major deadline I'm not going to make, so hoorah I went to a bunch of bars and strip clubs tonight to make there even less chance of making my deadline ;) guess I have a pretty crazy weekend ahead of me! If only maya rendered faster than it preaches it can...

SoLiTuDe
04-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Yeah -- i've heard "doc" was a weird one to work with... mostly from you actually... but still he's put in lots of good stuff to the community. I know this sounds bad, but I kinda hope spore goes public. I wonder who owns the rights.

Sounds like you're having a good ol' time... you should invest in one of those new boxx apexx systems, and anything will render faster than claim it does. :D ... you still just workin off a notebook? ...Good luck either way!

amckay
05-01-2006, 11:43 PM
only work off my notebook when I'm out of town.. which is all the time really
at home I've got a fairly decent set up

anyway back to the grind, I'll surface in a few days ;P

feldy
05-02-2006, 02:55 AM
speaking of strip clubs dont ever go with me and if u do make sure I leave my atm card at home otherwise ill go home broke just like saturday man. "I'm in love with a stripper"

amckay
05-06-2006, 09:23 AM
hah my gf for the last two years is/was a stripper. I dumped her arse on valentines day, and I seem to have replaced her with work... been doign 7 day weeks 15-20 hour days @#$#@$#@

Looks like I'm going back to LA in a few days to finish off the man of steel. So I'll be in town if anyone wants to booze it up. Funny how one minute you think you're taking may off to get your life in order.. and next minute you're agreeing to more 7 day weeks :)

feldy
05-06-2006, 05:28 PM
send me a pm when u get here ill take your arse out and get you sloppy maybe this time i wont end up in a gothic strip club

Valantines day dam man thats ruthless

tuomasj
05-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Looks like I'm going back to LA in a few days to finish off the man of steel. So I'll be in town if anyone wants to booze it up.

my plane leaves tomorrow morning to LA... ;)

CapitanRed
05-25-2006, 08:08 PM
is it possible, that the AB volumentrics do not follow the PF-spin opertaor?? I tought that they do everything what the PF particles do.

feldy
05-26-2006, 01:25 AM
i dont think so

but if you want spin just use the rotation in ab

CapitanRed
05-26-2006, 05:20 AM
But in AB, the particles spin all in the same direction, i want to spin them on the Y-Axis of their motion. I'll try it again!

SoLiTuDe
05-26-2006, 06:18 AM
use the pflow-aburn operator, and make sure you select the pflow-aburn01 object in afterburn... then in the operator layout select "particle orientation"

CapitanRed
05-26-2006, 09:31 AM
aaahh, great! I allways asked myself, what the hell this settings are for, but was allways to lazy to take a look in the manual:)

Thank you

amckay
05-26-2006, 10:14 AM
oh fyi I'm in town

arrived two thursdays ago however been stuck on superman returns every day and night since I got here.
ZZzzz

Mills
05-26-2006, 11:57 AM
oh fyi I'm in town

arrived two thursdays ago however been stuck on superman returns every day and night since I got here.
ZZzzz

Saw the preview…..
The smoke/fire on the plain crash scene looks awesome!
Can't wait to see the movie.
E

SoLiTuDe
05-28-2006, 05:03 AM
* still patiently awaits Allan's "new" dvd and Superman to be released *

amckay
05-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Anyone recommend any studios out in LA? I haven't had much of a chance to think since I landed but before I leave I want to do the rounds at a few of the medium sized studios, see if any are up for remote freelancing ;)

Yeah apparently the DVD will be out very soon (@Q#$#) I did an interview for the press release this week so that's always a good sign it's close!

www.allanmckay.com/tabletpc.jpg

Mind you that's a day old, 2 days and 20 hours 40 mins and 20 seconds to go.. until I can sleep.

SoLiTuDe
05-30-2006, 08:49 PM
lol good stuff! What program you using for those widgets?

As for LA... you probably already know more than I do... so I don't think there's any I can suggest.

amckay
05-30-2006, 10:24 PM
yahoos' confibulator, I was bored. spent maybe 5k on crap over here, bought a new tablet pc, I now have 5 screen's on my desk at work right now haha.

yeah I just know all the bigger studios, whereas figured I'd pop into all the smaller ones and see if they're keen to do any remote freelance whilst I'm back in AU.

feldy
05-31-2006, 01:26 AM
shit man well call we all went out to sunset blvd the other day it would have been fun to get a ausie drunk. pm me man if u want to go out before u leave. i dont know about any flim stuff and im sure u dont want to come help do some game stuff not cinamatics. anyways later -Jeremy

Mafx
06-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Hey all,

I use VRAY for my AB rendering and am about to start some work for someone who uses Mental Ray. Can you render Afterburn effects with Mental Ray? if Yes is there anything special needed in MR to make it happen or is MR not supported as a renderer.

I can't find any reference to it so I assume it is a No, but I thought I would ask the gurus anyway.

Thanks

SoLiTuDe
06-02-2006, 05:02 AM
I believe the answer is just straight no. I'm sure an implementation will come out eventually, but for now rendering afterburn in a separate pass and comping it later seems to work out pretty well. Pyrocluster however does offer mental ray support, so that's worth checking out as it's pretty much the same thing as afterburn.

CapitanRed
06-02-2006, 08:10 AM
U use Vray for rendering AB? this works?

SoLiTuDe
06-02-2006, 08:29 AM
as far as I know vray will render afterburn, but won't light it with gi or anything... it just renders it as it would in scanline more or less I think, without all the fancy vray stuff.

PsychoSilence
06-02-2006, 10:06 AM
AfterBurn 3.2 supports GI as tehy tell in one of the training videos called "Whatīs New"...

they test it in the video with final render (they test GI & Caustics) but i think it will work with other GI renderers as well...

i often use VRay with AB. this works just fine!!!

CapitanRed
06-02-2006, 10:19 AM
I tried to render AB with Vray some time ago, but the results were different, because AB needs AB raytraced shadows or AB shadows, and Vray does not suppport that. Vray shadows didn't do the same lightning.
And sometimes, I got a warning message, and in some squares of the render it was only black to see.

Thats why I asked.

amckay
06-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi guys, new DVD finally out (@#$#@) it's taken forever, but I'm sure you guys will be happy with the content. the screenshots on the site weren't chosen that well, but basically this covers a lot of scripting and advanced techniques, cool scripted crowds, advanced events and complicated scenarios. Cool shaders, compositing etc. Plenty o stuff.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/309665

Check it out - woo... 7 more hours of superman until my deadline, back to it!

-Allan McKay

Project 1: DNA Strand
ProjectOverview
Particle Flow Setup
Total Running Time: 19:03

Project 2: Point Fire
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup
Digital Fusion Composite
Alternate Point Fire: Fire On Ground
Total Running Time: 19:58

Project 3: Oozing Lava
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup Part 1
Particle Flow Setup Part 2
Materials Part 1
Materials Part 2
Lava Lights
Render Pass Setup
Digital Fusion Composite
Total Running Time: 1:19:40

Project 4: Barrel Splash
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup
Using LockBond (PFlow Tools)
Splash Setup
Splash Material
Foam Setup
Foam Material
AfterBurn Setup
Digital Fusion Composite
Total Running Time: 1:57:53

Project 5: Icebergs
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup Part 1
Particle Flow Setup Part 2
Total Running Time: 41:30

Project 6: Tank Explosion
Project Overview
AfterBurn Explosion Setup
Particle Flow Setup
Re-purpose of Preset (PFlow Tools)
Total Running Time: 1:08:30

Project 7: Particle Tanks
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup
Using MAXScript to control the Tanks
Total Running Time: 26:05

Mafx
06-03-2006, 01:30 AM
I was 99.9% sure about the MR stuff with AB but just wanted to ask. I am going to be doing some stuff with Vue and xStream which will be all rendered in Mental Ray so I was just hoping to save some time in render passes etc.

Vray and AB works nicely, especially with the explode daemon, seems to bring out the colours and just the over look of the effect is nicer in VRAY.

Allan, that should be downloaded here in the next day or so... woohoo :)

S.

SoLiTuDe
06-03-2006, 05:46 AM
YAYYYY! ALLAN"S NEW DVD IS FINALLY OUT AFTER 6 MONTHS OF WAITING!

--whips out the credit card--

I'll prob buy it within the next week or two ... depends on the paycheck =)

YAYYY!!!

--of course I can't load turbosquid for some reason... yay!-- :)
--k... now it works after I reset my router!--

amckay
06-03-2006, 11:34 AM
yeah honestly I'm very frustrated as how long it's taken for this thing to come out. It's rediculous, however it's out and I'm very happy with the content.

Thanks guys!

-AM

Mafx
06-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Its not actually out I just found out. I ordered it on TS and got a placeholder txt file saying that when it is released it will be shipped.

I thought it was a download that I ordered and now I have to wait for it to be shipped at some yet to be disclosed date.

Maybe you should get TS to be a tad more specific about it before the after ordering stage of things.

Do you have a clear date on when they are going to release it. I learn't heaps from your first one and really want to hook into this one but have no idea when to expect it.

A DL would be heaps easier, size isn't an issue I just downloaded a 2 dvd training pack for Max, 7 x 858meg compressed files - if you want something bad enough you will download it :)

S.

amckay
06-04-2006, 09:31 AM
oh really? hmm no idea how they're handling things as it's out of my hands. However they did tell me it was out june 1st, so I assume it should be ironed out asap if it hasn't already. email them if you are unsure.

Let me know what you think, I've had major bandwidth issues the last two years which are finally resolved as I'm on a new host. So I plan to make a lot of new content very soon too.

Thanks guys!

-AM

feldy
06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
i thought that lava stuff u were doing with plfow and glue pwrapper or something i didnt see anything about glue at all it said about ab and digtal fusion which im guessig is just useing it to put your layers together right u can do the same thing with combustion or after effects or was there a digtal fusion special thing that u used that wont transfer to other compositors. i know personaly i stick with combustion were i can help it.

amckay
06-04-2006, 10:35 PM
hey mate, well I use pwrapper from glu3d although it's optional, as I explain how to do it with blobmesh as it plays a very small role in the process.

and the digital fusion process can be done just as easily with any other comp package, it's more just tying the elements togetgher (rendering layers) and adding glow and other basic stuff. It's more the process of saving the passes out ready for comp etc. that is the more crucial part, so yes any package can be used. I tried to do this with every part as I know not everyone has lots of plugins and software etc. so for the most part a lot of it can be done with just raw max. Some small bits are box set 1.

Mafx
06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
It all sounds great. The tank hit one looks like it will be perfect for a small freebie project I am doing for someone - it will be just what I need to capitalise on some PFlow / Afterburn work I am doing.

I look forward to it turning up.

S.

feldy
06-05-2006, 03:42 AM
sweet dude for the last few months ive barley been doing anything with pflow besides useing for afterburn to make some sprite images for unreal 3's particles editor. god i miss pflow sometimes.

feldy
06-05-2006, 07:33 PM
hey i was just reading on the orbaz fourms someone mentioned fuel from afterworks. its like aura but made by the makers of afterburn anyone know about this maybe you allan?

MiguelPerez
06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi people, I use this post to put an example of an explosion with afterburn. I hope that you like. I've inspired in Allan's demoreel.

DeKo-LT
06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
nice, really nice :thumbsup:

superhypersam
06-06-2006, 07:35 PM
"hey i was just reading on the orbaz fourms someone mentioned fuel from afterworks."

I think its called Fume

amckay
06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
miguel, I'll check out your video when I get into the office later today.

feldy, yeah fume has been in development for a few years now, however it's still very hush hush. it was used a tiny bit in superman and blade trinity amongst other projects.

feldy
06-07-2006, 02:57 AM
hmm thats cool all these bad ass things and none of them are out dammit no flood wich ill give me left for im a righty heheh dont need it. and scanlines fuild system. man i gotta get out of games and into flim...

CapitanRed
06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
hey miguel, I think you did a good start. the fiery shader is pretty nice. but you could improve your explosion. first i think, you should think more about how a real explosion is moving.
check
http://www.groundzerofx.com/index2.htm

I think your explosion is an atomic one, right?

so it should be very big. but your fast rotation of the paricles makes it look very small. so you could perhaps give it a bigger look if you let the particles rotate slowlier.

keep posting:)

MiguelPerez
06-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Isn't nuclear explosion. See Allan's reel and chack his explosion, I have tried to imitate it.

CapitanRed
06-07-2006, 05:06 PM
hmpf...bad luck!! the link for the reel is not working:shrug:

amckay
06-08-2006, 11:55 PM
I'll fix it in a day or two sorry guys

tls246
06-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Edited for Google-y privacy.

Thanks for the help, guys.

CapitanRed
06-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Can you post some screens, which show the probleme...or the difference between render and composite?

PsychoSilence
06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi, All --

Does anyone have any tips for compositing with afterburn? I've been rendering my stuff out to targas with premultiplied alpha, and the render looks great until I take it into after effects and drop it on top of a composition. Beacause of the alpha, I end up losing detail, and the really wispy effects disappear. Not only that, but the color comes out all funky. What can I do to improve the situation?

Thanks!

Trent

Donīt multiply an alpha! set the bit depth to 32 and uncheck all other settings. further more set "Donīt anti-alias against background" in the preferences! the rendered alpha will look crispy at first but if you import your footage into AFX it will look fine. check alpha interpretation to "direct" when importing!

hope that helped you out

cheers

anselm

tls246
06-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Edited for Google-y privacy.

tls246
06-13-2006, 05:44 PM
ditto this one.

superhypersam
06-13-2006, 06:31 PM
double post

superhypersam
06-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Your background should be black, with the matte shadow shader applied too any visable objects, with apply atmospherics set to on, and set to object depth.

I personly like anti-aliasing turned on, and often layer multiple versions of the same render
with different merge/blend settings in comp (screen, color burn ect)

hope that helps