PDA

View Full Version : Low poly deformations

PhilOsirus
07-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I am completely unable to get proper deformation for my character. The fingers, the elbows, the knees. It always deforms like crap even with more loops. Does anyone have tips or tuts about how to model those areas to get good deformations? Thanks!

http://www.star-reef.com/images/temp.jpg

rob-beddall
07-10-2005, 10:59 PM
hey!!

this should get you started. i have coloured some of the verts on your picture.
weight the verts 100% to the matching coloured bone.
the green verts to 50% to each bone.
that will get you started. don't worry about geometry at the back of the leg passing through itself. that happens in most (if not all ) games.
you could probably get away with less rings also.
hope that helps a little.

cheers!!

AdamAtomic
07-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Here is a general set up I have used on a lot of low poly models that did not have knee bones or weighted bones. The red verts are connected to the thigh, and the blue verts are connected to the calf. The middle or central vert on the side of the knee there should be on an axis with the knee joint so that it does not move much regardless of what bone it is connected to, calf or thigh. While there will be some stretching across the knee this seems to minimize most problems. The important thing in this setup is that you have a large, collapsible region at the back of the knee. Hope this helps!

rob-beddall
07-10-2005, 11:25 PM
hey!!

Adam Atomic: hmm i use pretty much the same set-up as you, but i was under the impression that it is better to have a smaller collapsable area at the back. the reason being that if the area is too big then that back poly bridges the gap and looks unnatural. whereas in real life there would be a crease. i guess it's just down to preference.

cheers!!

AdamAtomic
07-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Rob - yes you do have to be careful, you want to make sure that the collapsible area is just large enough that it retains the correct basic volume of the joint, otherwise it is just as bad as pinching, just in reverse :P

PhilOsirus
07-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the replies! I did pretty much what you both recommended and made sure I had an actual collapsable area at the back. Otherwise the back of the leg crosses through itself when bending. I don't know how it would react with textures, but it is much better than what I originally had. So I suppose the same applies to legs and fingers?

Here is what it looks like now:

http://www.star-reef.com/images/temp3.jpg

rob-beddall
07-11-2005, 01:02 AM
hey!!

it looks better but it still looks as though the vertices at the back are being shared by the 2 bones.
make the vertices at the top of the collapsable area at the back 100% weighted to the top bone and the same for the bottom ones.
if they already are then ok.
just looks a little weird still at the moment.

cheers!!

PhilOsirus
07-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Well if I make the top ones weight 100% to the top bone and the bottom ones 100% to the bottom bone they do not deform so the back part does not collapse at all it just goes through the leg when it bends. Right now the top part is 75% yellow, 25% pink and the bottom is 75% pink 25% yellow.

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2005, 01:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.