PDA

View Full Version : trees in vue

zimt
07-10-2005, 05:33 PM
hi there. i'm new in vue and im asking me if theres a way to create a landscape with lot of trees faster instead of creating every tree single and place it in the landscape.

Wabe
07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Which Vue version?

In Infinite? Ultra easy because you simply create an Eco-System with the vegetation you want.

In all others? Not completely. But there you as well can use the replicate function that makes the amount of copies you want in the area you define.

The trick is to do that "up in the air" and then drop down all the copies with the drop to floor feature.

Oh, to make your mouth watery a little, in an Ecosystem the Vue plants are modified even (SolidGrowth technology) so that all plants look slightly different.

zimt
07-11-2005, 11:55 AM
thx!
while waiting for the answer i found the eco system in the material editor^^
but anyway it sux, or maybe i suck, cause when i try to chage the vegetation in the eco-material setup by using the add button, new plants and trees I've added arent rendered. And one more trouble is that i dont know how to give the same mesh different materials, in different areas. all beginnerstuff, i know. but when google'ing hadn't found a nice vue 5 inf - tutorial...

oh, and can anybody tell me good render settings for animation?

Wabe
07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Have you pushed the "populate" button? Without that nothing happens of course. And best is always first clear, then populate.

Different objects in different areas? Different ways to do that.

#1 to mix several ecosystems and use the mix functions for that.

#2 use the variable density. Again, with a smart function you can almost get everything. Important here is to change the filter to another one that is more like a step and not linear.

Someone at Renderosity did a very good explanation of that some weeks ago. Maybe you do a search there, maybe it is even in the tutorial section there already.

zimt
07-11-2005, 04:50 PM
ok, one more question: does vue has something like mip- or satmaping? terrain in medium and far camera distance sux! :banghead:

Wabe
07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
ok, one more question: does vue has something like mip- or satmaping? terrain in medium and far camera distance sux! :banghead:

Whatever mip- or satmaping means. I have no idea.

Terrains in different resolutions. Yes, you define how fine you want it. Or you switch to procedural terrains - means that the final resolution is calculated in the render phase, depending on the distance from the camera. Is great, you can do terrains with that that reach from the close-up camera to the infinite horizon without worrying about resolution!

zimt
07-11-2005, 05:46 PM
yeah thats great but i was talking about the textures of the terrain wich are so "pixi" in the distance when rendering with preview quallity. when changing to final, everythings allright but when switching to costom i can not find the option to activate mip or satmapping.

mipmapping means that the texture is calculated down in distance, so 512, 256, 128 and so on, the farer it goes. that reduces the "pixi"-effect. the different sizes are interpolated so that you dont see the different resolutions. every 3d-tool i know and even every 3d accellerated computer game (since 1998) uses mipmaps.

dont know so right, how sat-mapping worx but i know it makes the sharper result and eats 16 times more memory...

Wabe
07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Ok, these techniques does not exist in Infinite. I personally question wether it would make a big difference in rendering times - to use that or to use the next higher setting simply. But that is another discussion i think.

There is a sort of anti flickering method for animations, maybe that is what you are looking for? But that works for animations only.

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.